What happens to those dishes?

The stuff when upgrades that is taken down is supposed to be brought back to the shop, like switches and lnbs to be tested and refurbished and used again if possible, just like recievers.

What I was describing was my experience when it comes to people moving. It is my experience that we do not return to the location someone moves from and uninstall it. Even if the equipment is on a temporary mount. It would be cost prohibitive to set up a deinstall compared to installing new gear off the van.

right. And there is a labor cost to going out and taking down the stuff from a residence. They are paying someone while NOT gaining a customer. If it were that important and really had a cost savings, Dish (Cheap Charlie) would make arrangements to come by before you leave and take this "valuable" equipment back to the shop. I have not seen ANY, in may case, left installed Dish systems activated by new tenants. Further, Dish sometimes requires a customer do send in the LNBF's, so there are a lot of Dish reflectors I've seen with cables CUT at the feed horn. This is most likely to a cancelled account and Dish wants to prevent piracy by requiring the LNBF's to be returned, but still, such a reflector with no LNBF's is not "Dish Ready" for the next tenant.

I've seen refurbished equipment at retailers, but I'm told by Dish Corp installers they just don't use the old equipment. Now, an independent retailer would certainly use old stuff that still seems to work well.

The stuff when upgrades that is taken down is supposed to be brought back to the shop, like switches and lnbs to be tested and refurbished and used again if possible, just like recievers.

What I was describing was my experience when it comes to people moving. It is my experience that we do not return to the location someone moves from and uninstall it. Even if the equipment is on a temporary mount. It would be cost prohibitive to set up a deinstall compared to installing new gear off the van.

Is this true for DISH CORP installers? If a Dish installer takes them back to the Corp shop and doesn't throw them out, perhaps the they are refurbed for retailers. I haven't coma across any Dish Corp installers who haven't said they "throw them out" as in put into the big bin in the back. However, Dish may instead require all the equipment by returned for proper disposal.

Now, I have had a situation were a tech was having problems, and it was easier for him to just use his BRAND NEW switch instead of the same model already installed. In that case he took the switch he replaced. He probably needed to account for the missing new switch in some way. However, with the last install, a Dish Corp tech took 500+ LNBF, Single DishPro LNBF, the old but still "usable" reflector and TWO DPP44 switches and put them in my garbage bin. Dish Corp techs seem to NOT want any of the old equipment, while retailers tried to trick my brother OUT of his DPP44 by putting TWO reflectors and giving him an OLD 722 saying it would be a better picture (he has only STANDARD DEF services) "for free" and at "no additional monthly charge" as a replacement for being allowed to take his DPP44 switch. They actually showed up at his house saying they had a work order to do the work that day. My brother called Dish directly and they said they have NO such work order in the system and it was escalated to some department I've never heard of, but they took down all the details he provided and told him it was "unauthorized" and that they would be seriously looking into it.

Also, one retailer refused to use a switch for an install, and instead mounted TWO reflectors to serve a mere THREE boxes for looking at only 119/110. He had them in the truck, but after being on the phone, he was told NOT to use a switch and to install TWO reflectors instead. My aunt agreed as it didn't make any difference to her because the reflectors could not be seen from the street, anyway. After gaining his confidence, I pushed the two reflectors instead of switch matter with him and he let out that his company (an independent retailer) always like to avoid using switches because of "cost."

Lots of weird Dish tech stories.

I just learned something today. I didn't know the tripods weren't an approved method.

Yeah just for installers, we are supposed to swap em out if we show up and one is in use, and we don't install them anymore. A customer who.moves a lot can use it all they want.

Dish moved away from the tripod because it is lighter than the new patio mount.

Is this true for DISH CORP installers? If a Dish installer takes them back to the Corp shop and doesn't throw them out, perhaps the they are refurbed for retailers. I haven't coma across any Dish Corp installers who haven't said they "throw them out" as in put into the big bin in the back. However, Dish may instead require all the equipment by returned for proper disposal.

Now, I have had a situation were a tech was having problems, and it was easier for him to just use his BRAND NEW switch instead of the same model already installed. In that case he took the switch he replaced. He probably needed to account for the missing new switch in some way. However, with the last install, a Dish Corp tech took 500+ LNBF, Single DishPro LNBF, the old but still "usable" reflector and TWO DPP44 switches and put them in my garbage bin. Dish Corp techs seem to NOT want any of the old equipment, while retailers tried to trick my brother OUT of his DPP44 by putting TWO reflectors and giving him an OLD 722 saying it would be a better picture (he has only STANDARD DEF services) "for free" and at "no additional monthly charge" as a replacement for being allowed to take his DPP44 switch. They actually showed up at his house saying they had a work order to do the work that day. My brother called Dish directly and they said they have NO such work order in the system and it was escalated to some department I've never heard of, but they took down all the details he provided and told him it was "unauthorized" and that they would be seriously looking into it.

Also, one retailer refused to use a switch for an install, and instead mounted TWO reflectors to serve a mere THREE boxes for looking at only 119/110. He had them in the truck, but after being on the phone, he was told NOT to use a switch and to install TWO reflectors instead. My aunt agreed as it didn't make any difference to her because the reflectors could not be seen from the street, anyway. After gaining his confidence, I pushed the two reflectors instead of switch matter with him and he let out that his company (an independent retailer) always like to avoid using switches because of "cost."

Lots of weird Dish tech stories.

Why would I tell you a fib....yes it is true for in-house installers.

We are supposed to bring back old electronic equipment to be refurbished and put back into service. They are tested at a facility, not my home office, determined to pass or not pass quality checks and either put into service or recycled.

I have installed plenty of obviously not new lnbs and switches in my time as an installer.

Being required to return the equipment or being to lazy and just throwing it away are two different things. Just because somebody tells you in the field "oh we only use brand new equipment on every job" downstairs make it true. Sometimes guys say stuff to make their job easier.

Like when a customer gets a 722 installed. "Is that new?" "Oh yes it is"....really its not, but if I say its refurbished then I have to explain why the perfectly good refurbished box is just as good if not better than a brand new manufactured box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts