What is leased receiver fee for?

brandonsound

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I have one...yes only one receiver a 622 and I have been getting charged a leased receiver fee of $6 each month. I spoke with a dish CSR in January and he said that I should only get charged that if I have more than one receiver and he said he removed the charge. Well guess what I'm still getting billed for it. So now I call in and a CSR tells me that fee is because I have a HD receiver. I said to him so you mean to tell me I paid $200 to upgrade my receiver and I pay a $6 lease fee, and $6 DVR fee....that is crap!!

I have one...yes only one receiver a 622 and I have been getting charged a leased receiver fee of $6 each month. I spoke with a dish CSR in January and he said that I should only get charged that if I have more than one receiver and he said he removed the charge. Well guess what I'm still getting billed for it. So now I call in and a CSR tells me that fee is because I have a HD receiver. I said to him so you mean to tell me I paid $200 to upgrade my receiver and I pay a $6 lease fee, and $6 DVR fee....that is crap!!

The fee was dependent on the on the program you signed up under. DHA = No fee for your first or only receiver. DIU = The fee always applied. DIU has since been changed to match DHA with regards to the fee but that change will not be retroactive. I also have a 622 as my only receiver, having to pay the lease fee plus $200 is the reason I purchased mine.

NightRyder

The fee is to line Charlie's pockets. I read in other threads that they are supposed to drop this fee on the first receiver on the account though if I didn't misunderstand what I read.

There is no fee if your 622 is hooked to a phone line. Check your system screen to see if the phone symbol is green.

There is no fee if your 622 is hooked to a phone line. Check your system screen to see if the phone symbol is green.

Wrong. That is a different fee. The correct information was in the previous post that described the programs.

And, if you don’t know yet that the warranty on the receiver is only for 12 months, even if you signed up for a 18 month contract. You will have to get a maintenance contract if you don’t want to pay in the event your lease receiver goes belly up.:eek:

The fee is to line Charlie's pockets. I read in other threads that they are supposed to drop this fee on the first receiver on the account though if I didn't misunderstand what I read.

From what I was told, the 622 counts as TWO receivers because it has two tuners. So by that strange logic, the first (tuner 1) is free, but they charge you for the second tuner inside the 622. Pretty petty, but as pointed out above, it is to simply line their pockets. To be fair, however, if you lease a car, you also pay a monthly fee, right?

From what I was told, the 622 counts as TWO receivers because it has two tuners. So by that strange logic, the first (tuner 1) is free, but they charge you for the second tuner inside the 622.

The second tuner fee is waived if you keep a phone line connected.

On the 622 fee's are/can be based on whether you purchased or the lease the receiver (if leased, the program you signed up under), the programming package subscribed to, and as mentioned above, whether or not you keep a phone line connected.

NightRyder

Last edited:
From what I was told, the 622 counts as TWO receivers because it has two tuners. So by that strange logic, the first (tuner 1) is free, but they charge you for the second tuner inside the 622. Pretty petty, but as pointed out above, it is to simply line their pockets. To be fair, however, if you lease a car, you also pay a monthly fee, right?

:D Oh geez, don't give Charlie any more ideas or reasons to get some more money outta us! If he thinks, "hmmm, two sat tuners + the ota tuner in the 622, how come we're not getting $6 for each........"

IMO, the 622 is worth the $6 a month lease fee, like someone said, don't wanna pay the lease fee, buy one.

I love when people don't know anything and then say "this is crap"... it never gets old. Get educated, then decide if it's crap or not. Best advice yet on this post is if you don't like the fee buy one. But seriously, you have an hd tv and a 622, and you are bitching about a 6$ fee?? I just don't get it. Must be pinching pennies after the fact.

For your reference bada$$brandon: comcast dvr fees are 9.95. And their rates are typically 10-15 dollars higher each month. But hey, no 6$ lease fee!

Strange logic? Where were you lost.... 2 301's are two tuners, the second tuner/box has a lease fee or add'l outlet fee of 5$. Make sense? 622, 2 tuners, used to be 2 211's, follow what I am saying? Regardless, what a csr/tsr says is not the freakin law. People don't always know the answer so they make stuff up.

You also said it is to line their pockets. Would you feel more comfortable paying 10 dollars more for programming, and eliminating words like "fees", and simply calling it a "package."? Like say, top 200 for 52.99. NO FEES!! Just top 200! They have to make their money somewhere. With programming prices cheaper than most, what else should they do? Give it all away free? Or better yet, you could always buy the receiver up front and break even in 2-3 years. But hey, that would be pretty petty.

Then there will be a demand for HD DVR's WITHOUT OTA tuners. They are already going to have to make a 612 receiver which will only have one tv output. That could be due to the fact that they do not want to make a true dual HD tuner receiver and if someone wants HD on a second television they can have 612 as their first receiver instead of dual tuner HD DVR with only SD output on second tv when the second tv output would be a waste.

It is all about lining their pockets, getting as much out of us as they can. They make the upfront programming package package prices and deals look good then sneak these fees in. No, not having these fees would not mean paying $10 more for programming, it would mean less b.s. fees as we call it here and less profit for them. It is all about maximizing profit. I can understand ONE DVR fee per account especially when you pay for the DVR yourselfand an additional fee for each additional receiver (to recoup their cost in the additonal receiver), but to charge for the additional tuners that are not connected to a phone line and all these other fees, its just a fancy way of inflating the final price you end up paying per month instead of the advertised prices they advertise. I think they went too far with the b.s. fees. It is only going to get worse until they start losing subscribers over it or until a competetor advertises against Dish about those fees stating that they do not charge any.

I'd rather them charge more per month to include the "extras" that they charge extra for now to make it simpler for everyone and new subscribers along with existing ones would have a better idea of what they are paying and it would become more realistic.

Last edited:
"I love when people don't know anything and then say "this is crap"... it never gets old. Get educated, then decide if it's crap or not. Best advice yet on this post is if you don't like the fee buy one. But seriously, you have an hd tv and a 622, and you are bitching about a 6$ fee?? I just don't get it. Must be pinching pennies after the fact.

For your reference bada$$brandon: comcast dvr fees are 9.95. And their rates are typically 10-15 dollars higher each month. But hey, no 6$ lease fee!"

Yes Mr. Bigshot coming in saying people don't know anything... I only know what the CSR's at dish tell me and as well all know they get confused themselves. Get informed... so where am I supposed to do that dishnetwork.com?? Riiiiight. Oh and since I should be so smart as to buy one... well this site says that you get charged a $6 fee each month if you buy one as well. Yes I am complaining about a $6 fee, because if no one does, what's to stop them from adding another one or two $6 fees every month. I was in no way claiming to be a badass, I was just coming here like everyone else to see if someone knew anything and could help me out. I don't come on here ripping on people like you did. If you don't like my post, then don't respond. Yes, I know about the fees with cable providers, which is why I don't give them my business.

" Oh and since I should be so smart as to buy one... well this site says that you get charged a $6 fee each month if you buy one as well.

Common sense dictates that a purchased 622 will not have a lease fee. It can however have:
1. A DVR fee - Waived with AEP
2. An Access Fee - Waived if you keep a phone line connected.
3. An HD Enabling fee - Waived if you subscribe to the HD Pak.
4. An extra outlet fee - Doesn't apply if you only have one receiver.

Stargazer is right, too many BS fees and fine print, plus Dish keeps changing the rules, making it almost impossible to keep up with. :mad:

NightRyder

I would have thought that charging an extra $20 for HD would have been enough but in actuality it costs more than that in many cases. It is like they keep pushing more fees forward to see how much we are willing to pay. It is almost like an excuse to charge more. If you pay full price for a receiver upfront then there should be no DVR fee, no HD enabling fee, no external hard drive fee that they are going to have soon, and so forth. Those are extra fees for things that does not cost Dish Network money to provide and should be figured in the cost of the receiver when purchased.

I would have thought that charging an extra $20 for HD would have been enough but in actuality it costs more than that in many cases. It is like they keep pushing more fees forward to see how much we are willing to pay. It is almost like an excuse to charge more. If you pay full price for a receiver upfront then there should be no DVR fee, no HD enabling fee, no external hard drive fee that they are going to have soon, and so forth. Those are extra fees for things that does not cost Dish Network money to provide and should be figured in the cost of the receiver when purchased.

Where do you get that it doesn't cost Dish anything to provide those services? They have to pay for the guide info, the have to pay for development of features like external hard drives, they have to pay to establish the infrastructure for HD and HD LiLs, etc. That's the whole purpose of business - create value so that you can sell something for more than it costs you to make it.

I imagine HD customers make up a pretty small percentage of Dish customers. A large number of those customers are early adopters who tend to be less price sensitive when it comes to getting the technology they want. Dish knows this and prices their offerings at the level they think will provide the best balance between the number of customers choosing the product and the profit of each of those customers so that the total profit is maximized. Good for them.

In the end, most folks have multiple choices when it comes to TV service providers. If Dish's offer is too expensive, people will stop buying it and move to alternate providers and Dish will be forced to adjust price.

Guide info is on all satellite receivers not just the HD ones so it does not cost more to have the guide info on one box vs. another. I know it costs them money to develope features like external hard drives but Directv and some cable companies have it, and I do not recall there being an extra fee charged to use it on their service. You do make a good point about the early adopters in how it costs them more. Perhaps in the future we will see some of these costs be adjusted with the market because I do not see the majority willing to tolerate all of those fees.