What is the actual paint of satellite dish used by satellite dishes factory ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
I have a rusty dish and want to file and polish it in order to re-paint it with the original paint of the dish when it was new - Therefore what is the correct fourmula or contents to make a mixture of paint excactly the same as the satellite dishes factory paint . Please Advice

Best Regards

AL-MADHI

The reflector factory coatings vary widely in content. Cheaper dishes use only paint and quickly oxidize. The good reflector coatings are a poly based formula and contain UV inhibitors.

When painting a reflector, I usually use a standard spray paint then coat with a clear UV application. Applying only a spray paint color will usually oxidize within a few years.

The reflector factory coatings vary widely in content. Cheaper dishes use only paint and quickly oxidize. The good reflector coatings are a poly based formula and contain UV inhibitors.

When painting a reflector, I usually use a standard spray paint then coat with a clear UV application. Applying only a spray paint color will usually oxidize within a few years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKS satelliteAV for quick reply could you please explain what do you by " UV application ? And Using a standard spray paint this is not good because this paint contains lead not good for reflecting electro-magnetic waves and it is shining paint reflect heat

Standard spray paint in North America does not contain lead. I use a flat or matte finish paint to avoid the sun reflecting and damaging the LNBF.

The UV protection is a clear coat (available in matte finish) that is sprayed over the color paint.

You have a small Ku dish that is steel and rusting, or a big BUD?
The face if those need to be flat/matte , not glossy. (as discussed above)
Anywhere else on the dish (backside) or mount can be glossy or not.
Some dishes appear to have been powder coated with a flat finish, and are very durable.
That is a fine plastic powder sprayed on with an electrostatic charge, then baked in an oven to melt/flow it.
I have some ideas about the priming and painting of mounts to resist rust.
Haven't needed to do an actual dish itself, however.

Standard spray paint in North America does not contain lead. I use a flat or matte finish paint to avoid the sun reflecting and damaging the LNBF.

The UV protection is a clear coat (available in matte finish) that is sprayed over the color paint.

Thanks again SatelliteAV for help , Can you specify any brand for flat or matte finish paint that does not contain lead to look for in the market

Sorry, No products or recommendations for your country or region. Lead has been banned from paints in the consumer US market for many years. As long as the metal is cleaned of contaminants and prepped and primed for paint, any paint should work fine.

Following through on your original post... Why would a reflective (lead) paint applied to the reflector would negatively affect the surface from properly reflecting a signal? Not following this idea... A metallic paint on the face of the LNBF cap would block or attenuate the reflected signal, but an even coating of a metallic paint on the surface of the reflector should have no effect.

Why would a reflective (lead) paint applied to the reflector would negatively affect the surface from properly reflecting a signal? Not following this idea
From previous questions I asked many English and American satellite reception fourms they told me paint should not contain LEAD because when the electro-magnatic waves hit the surface of the dish the Lead substance in the paint would attenuate these electo-magnetic waves and they become very weak here we are talking about Attenuation not reflection regarding the LEAD which obsorbs the electrognatic waves and can not reach the LNB fully as should be

Lead is similar to many reflector construction materials in that it is not a ferromagnetic material, but it is primarily an RF reflector at the satellite microwave frequencies with minimal RF absorption. Attenuation occurs as a signal passes through the material and lead would have negligible effect on a 3 - 11GHz RF signal reflection.

In theory, an application of semi RF transparent material creating an RF cavity in a divisible of the target wavelength could disrupt RF reflectivity. This would not apply to the lead paint scenario as the paint would be applied either directly to the reflective surface or in an extreme proximity.

Reflector surface accuracy/efficiency and feedhorn placement will provide measurable gains in the dish performance. Reflector coatings will increase/decrease the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) or NAF (Neighbor Approval Factor) of the dish... :D

I would have to challenge the scientific accuracy of anyone claiming a lead coated satellite dish would be unsatisfactory.
Or that a gold (plated) dish would be any better.
It's a metal.
Steel and aluminum are often used because they are some combination of strong, light, and cheap.
If someone painted a dish and it didn't perform well, I would look at other factors.
?

Reactions: Titanium
they even have paint the same colors as roof shingles.
From a distance the dish blends right in with the roof,good for stealthy installs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)