What is the best DVR to buy so that I can record the programs that are on my DISH DVR?

MGaddis9

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Indiana
We recently had some work done in our yard and our satellite cable was cut. Rather than get it fixed, we just decided to cancel our DISH subscription. I am still able to access my recordings that are on the hard drive, but I'm not sure for how much longer. I want to purchase my own DVR and record what I have saved, but would like to know if I need a specific type of DVR to accomplish that.

You already cancelled your Dish subscription? Too late. Access to those recordings will soon vanish. Binge it.

Those recordings are tied to your old account number, so resubscribing will not get them back.

You already cancelled your Dish subscription? Too late. Access to those recordings will soon vanish. Binge it.

Those recordings are tied to your old account number, so resubscribing will not get them back.
I have recordings that I want to keep from local stations. Is there no way to record them onto a new device? I don't want to keep paying Dish each month, just so I can keep my recordings.

I have recordings that I want to keep from local stations. Is there no way to record them onto a new device? I don't want to keep paying Dish each month, just so I can keep my recordings.
Once you cancelled your subscription, you triggered an unknown countdown to when your recordings will be lost. As navy stated, the hard drive is encrypted on the receiver and part of the key to watch is your unique account code. If the receiver is not hooked up to a dish and is constantly receiving the account refresh codes it will eventually stop authenticating the playback.

Your options at this point are to either watch until you clear out your queue or get a capture card for your computer or something similar that will let you watch and record in real time. There have been several discussions on here about setting up a capture card. Hauppauge makes some good ones. Good luck!

Actually, if you just recently cancelled your subscription, and you still have your old Dish receivers, Dish will let you reopen your account with the same account number. You have to specifically request that, though, unless you are responding to a win-back offer from Dish that wants you to reopen your old account. In fact, with leased receivers, the only way the same subscriber could reactivate them is if they remain tied to the same account number. This is how win-back offers work. Dish does not want to inconvenience or tick off subscribers who just cancelled and then immediately change their minds and want to come back. That subscriber has already proven once that they are willing to cancel their service. So, if they completely lose access to all of their DVR recordings, that may very well push them into cancelling again. If they cancel again soon enough, Dish may even have to let them out of any new contract that they had accepted. So, Dish gains nothing in such a scenario.

The Hauppauge PVR1212 records the component and Toslink output from the H3 to your PC. I believe Hauppauge also makes an HDMI version .

Reactions: MGaddis9
Once you cancelled your subscription, you triggered an unknown countdown to when your recordings will be lost. As navy stated, the hard drive is encrypted on the receiver and part of the key to watch is your unique account code. If the receiver is not hooked up to a dish and is constantly receiving the account refresh codes it will eventually stop authenticating the playback.

Your options at this point are to either watch until you clear out your queue or get a capture card for your computer or something similar that will let you watch and record in real time. There have been several discussions on here about setting up a capture card. Hauppauge makes some good ones. Good luck!
I do have an EHD that I purchased from Dish. Can I transfer my recordings to that and then purchase my own DVR and watch them that way or is it encrypted to only playback with a Dish DVR?

I do have an EHD that I purchased from Dish. Can I transfer my recordings to that and then purchase my own DVR and watch them that way or is it encrypted to only playback with a Dish DVR?
No. In fact, if your EHD is still working now without a satellite signal to the receiver, you would be better off doing the opposite: transfer as much stuff from that EHD to the internal hard drive as you can. You have a better chance of keeping access to the stuff on the internal hard drive, than you have of continuing to have EHD access. My recommendation would be this: go ahead and reopen your old Dish account, and get Dish to fix that cable so that you actually have a satellite signal. If you can get Dish to do this without making you sign a new two-year contract, great! As soon as your system is up and running again, you can put your account on Pause, and only pay $5 per month (for a limited number of months) for continued access to the recordings on your internal hard drive. Again, with Pause, you will lose access to everything on the EHD while the account is Paused. So, make sure you transfer everything you want to watch to the internal drive first. Then, when you unpause the account, there is a waiting period before Dish will let you Pause the account again. If you still need more time to finish watching your recordings, you could ride out that waiting period with a relatively cheap package like Welcome Pack, or whatever the cheapest package is that Dish is offering at that time.

We recently had some work done in our yard and our satellite cable was cut. Rather than get it fixed, we just decided to cancel our DISH subscription. I am still able to access my recordings that are on the hard drive, but I'm not sure for how much longer. I want to purchase my own DVR and record what I have saved, but would like to know if I need a specific type of DVR to accomplish that.

Until the authorization expires on the box. Usually 30 days with no satellite hooked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts