What is the difference between Legacy lnb and Dish pro lnb?

Quick synopsis: Both support up to four receivers, but the Legacy will work with any Dish receiver ever made, while the DishPro will support the DishPro 3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx/9xx receiver models. The older, four-digit models need a DP adapter to work with the DP LNBs.

Electrically, the Legacy LNBs use a 13V/18V voltage switching to determine which group of transponder channels are sent back to the receiver, while the DishPro LNBs send both sets of transponders at the same time, one group at a higher frequency than normal.

Two legacy LNBF's on Dish 500 viewing 110 & 119?

I can understand how the Dual DishPro LNBF's can send programing to either receiver from either bird, but it is not clear how this could work using two legacy single none bandstacking LNBF's

How would the following work?

One LNBF is receiving signals from one satellite position while the other is receiving signals from the other satellite position, correct? Since the LNBF's use voltage to select left/right polarization, how could one receiver tune programming from the left while the other receiver tunes programming from the right and both receivers what to view programming from the same satellite? I can't see how an external switch could make this work.

Confused
Ron

You're right - separate feeds are needed from the LNBF for the odd & even TP bands.

That's why the Legacy switches were SW44 and SW64. The 44 handled 2 birds and the 64 did 3 birds. BOTH had 4 outputs. Get it: "64" is 6 inputs, 4 outputs. The 6 are 1Odd, 1Even, 2Odd, 2Even, 3Odd, 3Even. The switch selects whichever of the inputs each receiver wants - because ALL inputs are ALWAYS there.

There IS an exception - single tuner hookups - the SW21. That is a simple 2-way "gate" and the control voltage from the ONE tuner is simply passed upstream to the LNB.

I'm tired and not explaining this well tonight, but hopefully, it's enough. :)

rrolsbe said:
I can understand how the Dual DishPro LNBF's can send programing to either receiver from either bird,
A Dual can only see 1 bird, you must mean the DishPro Twin (click "here's why" in my sig).
but it is not clear how this could work using two legacy single non-bandstacking LNBF's
Legacy LNBFs only send half the programming, the odd or even transponders, at a time. A legacy Single can be used for only 1 receiver which will change the supplied voltage to control whether the LNB sends odds or evens. A legacy Dual can be used for 2 receivers, each output can be odd or even. When fed through a switch, one output of a Dual is locked at 13V (odds) and the other output is locked at 18V (evens).

Hope that helped expand on what SS said.
Legacy switches are explained at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/11.

So the single LNB's on the Dish 500 have 2 outputs

Thanks for the replies

Now it makes sense. The two single LNBF's I see attached to Dish 500 dishes each have two outputs.

Thanks

A single has 1 output. The 2 separate LNBFs you see on a a Dish 500 are duals with 2 outputs each. Some early Dish 500s came with 2 singles and were limited to a single tuner, adding another tuner require replacing the LNBFs.

Single = 1 satellite, 1 output
Dual = 1 satellite, 2 outputs, same size as a Single
Twin = 2 satellites, 2 outputs and integrated switch, 6" wide assembly
Quad = 2 satellites, 4 outputs and integrated switch, 6" wide assembly

Use two Dish 500 Dishes/Single LNBF's & SW21 for Nimiq1/2?

Thanks Bobagird for your clear post regarding the LNBF types.

Since you seem very knowledgable about the different Dish 500 Dish/LNBF combos. I thought I might post some follow up questions for you or anyone reading this forum. I am going to attempt to use a Dish 500 system to receive the two Canadian Nimiq DBS birds located at 81 and 92 degrees. I have read conflicting forum posts as to whether I could receive these birds using a standard Dish 500 dish/dual LNBF system and have enough cloud margin (in Albuquerque, NM). On the Dish 500 dish/dual LNBF, the two LNBF's are installed 4.5 degrees left and right of the sweet-spot on the dish 500, correct? Not sure what the DB loss would be due to the LNBF's not being in the middle looking at just one bird? Therefore, if I used two Dish 500 dishes with two single LNBF's (center mounted) and an external SW21/DiSEqC switch I might be able to receive these weaker birds (in Albuquerque) and gain cloud margin. Correct? Assuming all of this is possible, is there any hardware that allows the center installation of the Dishnet single LNBF's (or any LNBF) to the Dish 500 dishes? Is the DishNet SW21 switch the same as a two port DiSEqC switch? Since I will initially be using a FTA receiver with this setup, I will need to use a DiSEqC type switch. Will the "Bell Express View Receivers" work with a DiSEqC type switch?

The following web site indicates I should be able to receive BEV in Albuquerque, NM.
http://www.canamsatellites.com/cgi-bin/canamstore/ustorekeeper.pl

Regards
Ron

Since I own a few single LNBF's with one output, I had assumed the ones I saw installed on all Dish 500 dishes where the same. Thanks for educating me, now I know the Duals look the same as the single LNBF's but have two outputs and are called Duals.

Again Thanks Very Much for Clearing this up
Regards
Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)