What is the Ethernet port for?

elchico04

Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I have recently gotten my Dish network equipment installed and I noticed that the receiver has a ethernet port and USB port on the rear panel. What are these for?

I have the ViP 622 and the ViP 211 receivers.

Thanks.

USB connects to the pocketdish and powers my laptop cooler on my 622. It also read a flash drive I plugged into it and let me load a picture from it.

Ethernet ports don't do anything yet that I know of or have read, I only plugged it in once when I first got it.

"Future use, enabled by a future software upgrade"

It currently performs the same function as the Firewire ports on the 921. :)

i assume if they get this working they will also mean they would probably make all firewire ports active too
this will happen?
have faith in dish dtv will make them active when and if they are the only ballgame in town
when dtv buys dish:)

Last edited:
I think we need a poll... How many of ya'll actually have the Ethernet connected to your 622 or 211.. just in case they get excited and turn something on even though its worthless.

Too bad they didn't have it working already.

They could send the distant networks via the Internet, and get around the entire distant network mess. :)

Mine has been connected to ethernet since day 1 (it looks prettier when the blinky lights are going). Waiting patiently for it to acquire a DHCP address but no activity yet.

It was reported somewhere, the receiver's software hold huge amount of codes for support TCP/IP, DHCP, PPP, HTTP, RSS, etc. No detail analysis available, but why company will develop and included the code if it doesn't work ? Seems to me there are different reasons for distribute the code then "for future use".

Last edited:
Well all that code is in there because it's a linux box. It would probably be more difficult to strip out the network support than just leave it in with the interface disabled.

I am sure what they are waiting on is some reason to enable it that involves them receiving more revenue.

As already mentioned, many of Dish's DVRs run Linux for the underlying OS. If you were to strip all remnants of code that you weren't using, who knows what might break. It is possible, of course, just look at embedded systems. They are stripped down to ONLY what they need. In these cases though, they'll NEVER need this stuff in the future. Dish isn't going to remove this stuff because it's very possible that they'll use lots of this. DHCP to grab an IP address, HTTP to run a web server (remote access to the DVRs ?), etc, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts