What is the purpose of a Switch?

StevenMark

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
I tried to figure it out reading threads but couldn't get it. Is there a link or site that explains these basics?

I'm guessing some LNB's have a switch built in? Is the external switch part of a multi-dish setup (to switch from one dish to another)?

a switch is used to send the multiple satellite signals to multiple receivers

If you have signals from more than one orbital location, then a switch is needed to change from one to the other. Doesn't have to be multiple receivers, just multiple sat locations.

Yes, a Twin LNBF for example, has a built-in switch since it "sees" two orbital locations. BTW, there can be more than one satellite at any given slot. A switch is also used to output to multiple receivers, but not all do, like DP21 for example.

I have a Dish 500 legacy twin feeding two receivers - no switch needed.
I'm preparing to swap out the twin with a DP quad and replace the receivers with 625's. Still no switch needed?

Last edited:
I have a Dish 500 legacy twin feeding two receivers - no switch needed.

I'm preparing to swap out the twin with a DP quad and replace the receivers with 625's. Still no switch needed?

No, but with a DP Quad, you will need two outputs and cable runs to each 625 dual-tuner receiver. Suggestion: Use a Dish Pro Plus Twin. Then only one output and cable is required to each 625. A DPP separator is then used at the receiver end to split the signal to the two tuner inputs. The separator is normally included with the 625. If you did not get these with your 625s then you would have to buy them as well.

No, but with a DP Quad, you will need two outputs and cable runs to each 625 dual-tuner receiver. Suggestion: Use a Dish Pro Plus Twin. Then only one output and cable is required to each 625. A DPP separator is then used . . .

Good -that's how I understood it. I should have done better research before buying the quad and running the 3GHz cable. Redundancy is good, I suppose.

I think I get it now. It I want to combine more 'orbital positions' than the single dish LNB can handle (such as two single LNB's on one dish) or want to combine the signals from more than one dish, a switch is needed. Also, if I want to feed more receivers than the LNB output provides for, a switch is needed. Is that about it?

Good -that's how I understood it. I should have done better research before buying the quad and running the 3GHz cable. Redundancy is good, I suppose.

I think I get it now. It I want to combine more 'orbital positions' than the single dish LNB can handle (such as two single LNB's on one dish) or want to combine the signals from more than one dish, a switch is needed. Also, if I want to feed more receivers than the LNB output provides for, a switch is needed. Is that about it?

You catch on fast!:) The advantage to Dish Pro Plus technology is the one cable to one dual-tuner receiver scenario. Otherwise, Dish Pro needs two connections for dual-tuners, as if each tuner input were a separate receiver. Also, you cannot feed two single-tuner receivers with one Dish Pro Plus separator, just one dual-tuner, and all components must be Dish Pro Plus. (i.e. switch, separator, and receiver.)

Last edited:
Are OTA signals combined "after" the sat signals pass through the DPP44 switch? And if so, are there any issues one should be aware of when combining and splitting OTA signals? I have a great OTA signal one minute, and zero the next. This goes on for long periods, then I get them back. Weather hasn't changed, and I didn't have the problem with D*. Just had my E* installed yesterday, so I know it must be some sort of technical glitch...hopefully one I can solve soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)