What is with the crazy ass channel numbers?

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
In two years dish has really screwed up their channels!

Why in the world are HD channels in the NINE THOUSANDS!?!?!

I dont wana sound like a bitch but damn.

It's annoying for sure :)

before we know it, they will be using the 10's of thousands numbers for channel assignments. I can here it now, "Honey, can you switch to 85,734? there showing that repeat program that been on a million times." :)

Why would you care what the number is? Don't you just pick from the EPG? Does anybody actually punch in channel #s?

Why would you care what the number is? Don't you just pick from the EPG? Does anybody actually punch in channel #s?

Yup...I am one of those people who punch in the channel number for many of the channels I watch. At the worst I fire up the EPG and punch in the start of the block of channels I am looking for (i.e. 300 to start the HBO scan, 122 for SciFi, 2 for my locals etc).

Yup...I am one of those people who punch in the channel number for many of the channels I watch. At the worst I fire up the EPG and punch in the start of the block of channels I am looking for (i.e. 300 to start the HBO scan, 122 for SciFi, 2 for my locals etc).
Or push the guide button until "All HD" shows up.

It's now official. I know it has been said before, but this thread is the smoking gun. We Americans have Waaaaaay too much time on our hands.

Short of allowing you to assign your own channel numbers I don't know what they could ahve done.

Well lets just throw channel grouping out the window and just put the channels in the next availble number. That way espn would be ch. 67 espn2 ch.359 and so on. Personally I like the way it is spead out so they can group channels as they have.

I know sounds silly, I was just wondering why....

There can't possibly be nine-thousand channels.

I'm going to go now and make my channel list.......

I also know about the HD ONLY stuff.
:)

I wish we could change the name of the channel. I would love to beable to change the NPS distnts from the call sign to the network like the old DNS in the 240 range. Cange WSB to ABC ect ect ect.

What number would you like it too be, I mean this isn't locals 2-69.

Well, they are working on an HD Channel mapdown which would be similar to the Local channels mapdown. That is if you want ESPN HD you would just select 140 on your HD receiver. The upgrade to enable this has not been spooled apparently, but the assignments are in the stream.

Well, they are working on an HD Channel mapdown which would be similar to the Local channels mapdown. That is if you want ESPN HD you would just select 140 on your HD receiver. The upgrade to enable this has not been spooled apparently, but the assignments are in the stream.
That would be nice, especially since I already know what channel 140 is, I have no idea of the HD number is, I just USE the "all hd" filter because I have no desire to learn a 4-digit channel. I find it funny that DirecTV offers more channels (over all) and they left the stupid numbers for int'l programming.

Not yet. anyway. :)

There are about 3000 channels in the system and they have to spread them out to allow for grouping with the capability of adding channels to the various groups.

where did you get that number?

Some retailer should figure out how much it would cost to subscribe to all 3000 (and how many dishes you'd need! :eek: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts