What is with the war on what cable to be used?

mr_tv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Boise Idaho
I was a contractor Directv installer until our shop was let go by the local HSP. While working there, we could not use any copper clad steel to do installs. We had to re-wire the house. This was with the Perfect Vision coax. Often to the customers being grumpy about it. Now, as a Dish Network installer I CANNOT use the Perfect Vision wire that Directv had us use. We will get a fail on QC if we do. Is this normal for all Dish installs in your area, or is it just a local thing?

Goto the installer zone. Much better info for you there.

But to answer your question. Dish does not want Directv wire in their system. Yes it's stupid and it's not inforced in all areas.

Goto the installer zone. Much better info for you there.

But to answer your question. Dish does not want Directv wire in their system. Yes it's stupid and it's not inforced in all areas.

All we use is Perfect Vision around here and that's pretty much what Direct and some cable companies are using so it works out pretty good.

Is this because Direct uses their SWM (CSS-Channel Stacking Switch), while Dish uses its DishPro (BSS-Band Stacking Switch)? They are quite different and perhaps each is optimal with its particular cable spec. Not suggesting it wouldn't work with other cables, just that Dish and Direc TV have their preference of cable for the two different systems.

Is this because Direct uses their SWM (CSS-Channel Stacking Switch), while Dish uses its DishPro (BSS-Band Stacking Switch)? They are quite different and perhaps each is optimal with its particular cable spec. Not suggesting it wouldn't work with other cables, just that Dish and Direc TV have their preference of cable for the two different systems.

Don't know what the requirement for DirecTv, but Dish needs RG-6 swept to at least 2150 mhz (preferrably 3000 mhz).

Don't know what the requirement for DirecTv, but Dish needs RG-6 swept to at least 2150 mhz (preferrably 3000 mhz).
All that means is the cable has been tested to, and reliably performs up to those frequencies. Most cable doesn't have to much trouble carrying it even if it hasn't swept tested.

As far as Perfect Vision. That is all we used to use, but then they (RSP) changed over to DES, and now if it's a NC, or mover it must have DES on it unless it can't be changed out.

I was a contractor Directv installer until our shop was let go by the local HSP. While working there, we could not use any copper clad steel to do installs. We had to re-wire the house. This was with the Perfect Vision coax. Often to the customers being grumpy about it. Now, as a Dish Network installer I CANNOT use the Perfect Vision wire that Directv had us use. We will get a fail on QC if we do. Is this normal for all Dish installs in your area, or is it just a local thing?
Perect Vision is an Unapproved brand cable. We cannot use it. However, if the house is prewired with any 3ghz swept rg-6 we are not required to remove or replace that cable.
We are permitted to use Summit , Pro Gear, Laser, and Digital Electronics Supply brand cable.
I cannot believe youy folks on the D* side have been told to run new cable in prewired homes.
I can tell you this..Most homeowners would go ballsitic if I told them their brand new structured wire system's cable was not useabel. Most likely the'd kick me out of their house.
If we were ordered to replace all copper clad steel( which works just fine and has for years) I'd flat out quit the business and go work in a deli. I would make more money working for 10 bucks an hour than I would as satellite contractor with all the stupid rules and policies.
Once you do the math, gas insurance ,equipment, cable, fittings etc,, then add in your time and the aggrevation factor, you are making less money than the average fast food worker. It's just not worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts