What movies do you watch once a year?

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
This would tend to be lists of movies you intentionally watch at least once-a-year, as opposed to movies that draw you in over and over (titles may overlap)... ;)

My list, off the top of my head, in no particular order:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Saving Private Ryan
Taking Chance
The Sound of Music
A Christmas Carol (TNT version)
Tombstone
The Princess Bride
Apollo 13
The Natural
Open Range
The Sting

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others...

Christmas time:
A Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation
The Sure Thing
White Christmas
Holiday Inn

They will all be watched in the next few weeks.

Interesting... there are no movies that I watch every year, and almost every movie that I have watched more than once, was for the purpose of showing it to my son.

The reason ? There are still so many movies that I have not seen - such as the majority listed in posts above - so watching the same movie again prevents me from being able to see a new one.

Also, a lot of movies have a linear story, which loses something when you know the outcome - admittedly, some movies still have worthwhile qualities regardless of that.

However, I do listen to some musical works repeatedly, and we listen to The Messiah by Handel every Christmas day.

Of course, all this is just personal taste - Have a great holidays whatever you do !

Godfather 1&2
Independence Day
Princess Bride
Lord of The Rings Trilogy
Star Wars 1-6
The Abyss
Terminator 2
Blazing Saddles
Tombstone
The Right Stuff
Not a complete list and some I may forget and go over a few months.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

Sound of Music ... usually around Christmas time ... just watched it a few days back over the Thanksgiving break.

Short List:

Sound of Music
Dances With Wolves
Wizard of Oz
Lord of the Rings

Christmas Movies:

Scrooged (Lost the commercial free version on my archive when I switched)
Family Man
The Santa Clause
White Christmas (Got the BD now, I'm good)
It's a Wonderful Life (Got the BD of this one, too)
Christmas Vacation (HDDVD)
Holiday Inn
Christmas Story (HDDVD)
Miracle on 34th Street (My favorite. BD, Natalie Wood version)
A Christmas Carol and Scrooge

S~

teachsac;2397524[U said:
Christmas Movies:[/U]

Scrooged (Lost the commercial free version on my archive when I switched)
Family Man
The Santa Clause
White Christmas (Got the BD now, I'm good)
It's a Wonderful Life (Got the BD of this one, too)
Christmas Vacation (HDDVD)
Holiday Inn
Christmas Story (HDDVD)
Miracle on 34th Street (My favorite. BD, Natalie Wood version)
A Christmas Carol and Scrooge

S~
Forgot about Family Man. Good choice, and I'll have to put it on my list for this year.
It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th St used to be on my list, but I've kind of burned out on them.
White Christmas was definitely worth the BD upgrade.
However, Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story were not. Christmas Vacation is a very soft transfer and I can scarcely notice the difference between the DVD and BR version. I am keeping Christmas Story as DVD because it is shot intentionally soft focus and when I saw the BR in the store, realized there was really nothing to gain by going blue.

hatari
kellys heros
true grit
shootist
(ok most john wayne movies made)
armegeddon
sooo many others i cant think of them all
when they come on i watch em, even if i have them on dvd/br

Interesting... there are no movies that I watch every year, and almost every movie that I have watched more than once, was for the purpose of showing it to my son.

The reason ? There are still so many movies that I have not seen - such as the majority listed in posts above - so watching the same movie again prevents me from being able to see a new one.

Also, a lot of movies have a linear story, which loses something when you know the outcome - admittedly, some movies still have worthwhile qualities regardless of that.

I'm with you--just not enough time in the day for me to watch the classics over and over along with movies I haven't seen, especially since I watch a lot of sports and play video games. I guess it would be different if I had children with whom I had developed a tradition of watching certain movies together.

However, one movie I try to catch on basic cable (even if it's only in part) each holiday season is "Elf." Cracks me up every time.
I could also see myself watching the LOTR trilogy once a year (as I did when it first came out).
Presently I've been making an annual habit of replaying "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" on the PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)