What no one will tell you about HDTV...

How many techs have been told that the picture was better after re-pointing a dish?

• Total voters
I didn't send that to verify anything about signal, just to verify that picture quality can change, which, by the way, was not even acknowledged by any of you at the start of all this. Maybe I've taught you guys something after all.

I'm done.

No one here disputed picture quality can change, only that it will not change with a reduction in signal level.

You've taught us you cannot provide your own data or even links to backup your claim.

If you look further into that website, you will see that the "digital video impairments" that they show are related to the Compression, Storage, and Transmission of digital video. It is NOT related to signal strength at the receiver.

So, signal doesn't have anything to do with the transmission of digital video? Okay. I can see why this isn't progressing well.

I didn't send that to verify anything about signal, just to verify that picture quality can change, which, by the way, was not even acknowledged by any of you at the start of all this. Maybe I've taught you guys something after all.

I'm done.

You've taught me a lot about yourself but I'm not going there....

This football season I'll still be helping the 5 or 6 other groups around us with their satellite dishes. Do I point them with precision? Nope. Kind of hard after a few beers from the previous dish pointings. As long as it locks I'm good. Guess what? They all look the same!

By your standards...I guess when there's low signal the customer has garbled looking EPG data too right?

Sure did, didn't see anything relating PQ to signal level. A whole lot about what can go wrong with PQ, but no mention of your claim.

Decipher these:

"Results of RF measurements with DVB-T chip-set and comparison with ATSC performance" http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/papers/pdffiles/crn-dvbtm.pdf
"Performance Comparison of ATSC 8-VSB and DVB-T COFDM Transmission Systems for Digital Television Terrestrial Broadcasting"http://paginas.fe.up.pt/~mandrade/tvd/2003/docs/DVB/ATSC/ICCE99paper.pdf
"Lab Report 98/01 Section 1: Australian Laboratory Testing of Modulation Systems" Lab Report 98/01 Section 1: Australian Laboratory Testing of Modulation Systems for DTTB

So, signal doesn't have anything to do with the transmission of digital video? Okay. I can see why this isn't progressing well.

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, if the signal level is too low for the receiver you lose lock. The picture stops. I copied the reasons from that website. I did not see where or if they list the causes for each of the problems that they simulated.

If I copy a 4megabit picture from my computer to a flash disk and put it on your computer, it will still be a 4megabit picture. If there is a problem in the transmission from my computer to the flash disk or flash disk to your computer it will not be a blurry, ghosted, edge distorted, or washed out 4megabit picture. If I make a copy on a copy machine, it could be any of the above.

Decipher these:

"Results of RF measurements with DVB-T chip-set and comparison with ATSC performance" http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/papers/pdffiles/crn-dvbtm.pdf
"Performance Comparison of ATSC 8-VSB and DVB-T COFDM Transmission Systems for Digital Television Terrestrial Broadcasting"http://paginas.fe.up.pt/~mandrade/tvd/2003/docs/DVB/ATSC/ICCE99paper.pdf
"Lab Report 98/01 Section 1: Australian Laboratory Testing of Modulation Systems" Lab Report 98/01 Section 1: Australian Laboratory Testing of Modulation Systems for DTTB

It will take me a while to go through, my broadband signal is too low and all those links come across blurry.

Decipher these:

All three of these are comparisons of DVB-T and ATSC transmissions. They have absolutely nothing to do with picture quality problems of satellite systems. They do not have anything in them that indicates that adjusting a satellite dish will improve picture quality.

Cuts Like a knife

Boy when I saw the paper you were using. "I thought man is it gonna hurt when the other techs let loose". That was strictly testing OTA chips. Now for my $.02. Single level only makes a difference in headroom. It doesn't improve PQ. If you have a higher signal level then if there is a problem such as rain. It will take a much heavier rain to have drop outs. 1 more thing sometime you can have to much signal level. In this case it will over load then input and cause loss of signal level.

HD quality IS adversely affected by:

1. Voltage that is too low,
2. Marginal signal strength (OTA or DBS Dish!), and
3. Poor signal quality.

Just because you have the digital picture, doesn't mean you have the HD quality you deserve!
There IS such a thing as variation in the quality of a digital picture.

How many installers that can really point a dish have heard from their customers that the picture got better? I heard it enough to get uncomfortable about it! I even thought I had seen it a few times and left scratching my head...:confused:

You guys dance circles around yourselves! The point IS...that it is noticable. The government studies it, regular people report it all the time. The science supports it. And now, you are aware of it.

And of course, "A simple re-peak of the dish will not make PQ any better or any worse as long as you have an acceptable signal level." You are responding to posts by others not by what I've said.
No jeff, I am responding to what you implied to begin with. You have backtracked somewhat since then, and it only discredits you even further. I agree with whoever said you seem to know alot of lingo, but dont seem to have the understanding of it. Keep using that google function though, I am sure you will find another link to put up that sounds good but really does not prove anything.

One could make the argument that a dropout affects signal quality ;) However, that's true of
any digital transmission method for audio or video. Repeaking the dish (as someone said above) might help retain nominal signal at times with fewer dropouts.

A dropout doesn't soften the image or make it blurry. It causes other (far worse) issues. All of the video PQ issues the OP points to are strictly head end and we as consumers can't really control that.

One could make the argument that a dropout affects signal quality ;) However, that's true of
any digital transmission method for audio or video. Repeaking the dish (as someone said above) might help retain nominal signal at times with fewer dropouts.

A dropout doesn't soften the image or make it blurry. It causes other (far worse) issues. All of the video PQ issues the OP points to are strictly head end and we as consumers can't really control that.
Yeah, a few of us have tried that approach. Didnt work...:p

You notice that too huh

I doubt it will ever be answered, since it wouldnt back up his argument to answer it truthfully
It won't be answered. This entire thread still has me asking how do I get the "WOW" factor with my HD PQ. 219 posts later in this Thread and I'm still not sure what he's telling me what to do?????. COM'ON ALREADY!!!!

He describes poor picture and even ghosting! How could he have seen ghosting? Because the same issues that plagued analog signal are being dealt with in digital signal.

The problems haven't changed, digital is just much more robust in dealing with the interference of multi-path , noise, and the rest. His failing LNB allowed him to watch his digital picture degrade to analog quality. And, we get an interesting glimpse of digital picture variation.

There is absolutely no way a digital signal can possibly produce ghosts or degrade to analog quality. The first thing you notice is block errors, no block errors, no degradation. Ghosting, you're killing me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)