What really happened to the levees in NO

Status
Not open for further replies.
dragon002 said:
ok, and i differ with you. so here goes.

lakeview was destroyed, ill take your word on that. richest part of the city, ok. THEY HAD INSURANCE!!!!!!

the oil companies refineries....HAD INSURANCE!!!

shopping centers??? ill bet WAL MART and TARGET and LOWES...HAD INSURANCE!!!

the oil rigs are INSURED!!!

so lets hear it. we are supposed to spend 250 BILLION to build homes for welfare bums to squat in and collect from the public teat?

does this make ANY sense to anyone?

and i dont care if they are european, african, chineese, mongolian or cajun.

I have not gotten 1 penny from the government. I am a dye the wool conservative. But you need to be educated. Well, you fell in the trap that I wanted you step in. Insurance !!! that is a joke. They are not paying very fast, if at all. The state attorney general is all over the industry. I have insurance from a large company and a premium policy. They drug their feet. It took me 3 months just to get an adjuster to get to me. I have to fight to even get a small settlement and it was not fair. I need a new roof and the lowest quote is over 5000 dollars from reputable folks- I got 450 dollars from the insurance company. I need siding and others items to repair. Well here is the amount of money the insurance company my wife and I had to live outside the house less than 80 dollars a day - rent, utilities and food !!!! I still had to pay mortage, electricity, and items for the other house. Wind damage or flood has to be proven - what caused roof damage Santa Clause and the reindeer >>>> . However some folks like you think that is fair - I pay faithfully my premium and I get have to pay out the pocket . I guess I have to be homeless and be told to die on the side of the road. And if I have to write it off on the income tax, you would say that is unfair. Some folks get a check from insurance and it is then given to the mortage company. The banks do not always give the money back for repairing the house! Flood insurance it is a federal item of the public teat as you say.... FEMA ran out of money to pay flood insurance after we pay the premium . Congress has to pass the bill to get the money to the preimum holder. We all know what a stellar job they do. I guess if it happened to you - you would understand. Houses and businesses are not built in a day or even in two years. There is 300,000 insured houses destroyed owned by hard working people. Where do you get supplies or workman to do the work. They all are in shortsupply.... Where do they stay to rebuild ? You do not live here and do not understand... Where do you MOVE ON to....

Last edited:
BillCrates said:
I have not gotten 1 penny from the government. I am a dye the wool conservative. But you need to be educated. Well, you fell in the trap that I wanted you step in. Insurance !!! that is a joke. They are not paying very fast, if at all. The state attorney general is all over the industry. I have insurance from a large company and a premium policy. They drug their feet. It took me 3 months just to get an adjuster to get to me. I have to fight to even get a small settlement and it was not fair. I need a new roof and the lowest quote is over 5000 dollars from reputable folks- I got 450 dollars from the insurance company. Siding and others. Well here is the amount of money the insurance company my wife and I had to live outside the house less than 80 dollars a day - rent, furniture and food !!!! Wind damage or flood has to be proven - what caused roof damage. However some folks like you think that is fair - I pay faithfully my premium and I get and others have to pay out the pocket . I guess I have to be homeless and be told to die on the side of the road. Some folks get a check from insurance and it is then given to the mortage company. They do not always give the money back ! Flood insurance it is a federal item of the public teat as you say.... They ran out of money after we pay the premium to the FEMA. Congress has to pass the bill to get the money to the preimum holder. I guess if it happened to you - you would understand. Houses and businesses are not built in a day or even in two years. There is 300,000 insured houses destroyed owned by hard working people. Where do you get supplies or workman to do the work. They are in shortsupply.... Where do they stay to rebuild ? You do not live here and do not understand...

Well this is very true!! I have seen this as you have but not every one wants to listen! Now i take it you have a job like many many other? So you work pay insurance and taxes. Humm you don't sound like a BUM? Oh well from the sounds of the board you have to move. Get out the way!! Hope you like the slums of Mississippi. I really hope this situation gets taken care of there are alot of good hard working not rich people that pay TAXES just like we do and have no HOME'S or damaged HOME'S!!! Even though there neighbor's may or may not work is not the point.

Eric Goempel said:
There was an entire show on discovery channel about this last week.

But spike lee still claims he watched Bush plant several bombs at the base of them personally.

Spike needs to take his medicene to stop the hallucinations..... I saw the breaches in the levee and no bomb would cause that....... Besides the breach in Lakeview - the upscale area was never mentioned ... It caused the most damage.... Imagine that.... Spike and Louis are deranged..... :D

Any one in the north BEWARE. The trees from the hurricane zone are being made into mulch and GIVEN AWAY to companies. The problem is that this free mulch has bugs in it that can destroy a house VERY FAST. When you by mulch this spring careful where it is from!

"The truth is that even on a normal day, New Orleans is a sad city. Sure, tourists think New Orleans is fun: you can drink and hop from strip club to strip club all night on Bourbon Street, and gamble all your money away at Harrah’s. But the city’s decline over the past three decades has left it impoverished and lacking the resources to build its economy from within. New Orleans can’t take care of itself even when it is not 80 percent underwater; what is it going to do now, as waters continue to cripple it, and thousands of looters systematically destroy what Katrina left unscathed?"
From city-journal.org

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200510\SPE20051017a.html

http://collegiatepatriot.us/alexander/edition.asp?id=331

Eric,

I live here and I do NOT see any looting at all anywhere. It may happen, but it is not widespread as NO one lives in the city. The newspaper articles are simply not reporting straight. If you want to see - come and visit ......... Second hand news is not always accurate. Besides, if you think N.O. is sad... why not rail against Los Vegas - many Harrahs there and commercials state what happens there stays there - much worse than New Orleans.... or NY Times Square that is reported to have live sex shows that makes N.O. like a piker.... There is a lot of bad stuff that happens here, but it is just as bad or worse in other parts of the country.

BillCrates said:
I have not gotten 1 penny from the government. I am a dye the wool conservative. But you need to be educated. Well, you fell in the trap that I wanted you step in. Insurance !!! that is a joke. They are not paying very fast, if at all. The state attorney general is all over the industry. I have insurance from a large company and a premium policy. They drug their feet. It took me 3 months just to get an adjuster to get to me. I have to fight to even get a small settlement and it was not fair. I need a new roof and the lowest quote is over 5000 dollars from reputable folks- I got 450 dollars from the insurance company. I need siding and others items to repair. Well here is the amount of money the insurance company my wife and I had to live outside the house less than 80 dollars a day - rent, utilities and food !!!! I still had to pay mortage, electricity, and items for the other house. Wind damage or flood has to be proven - what caused roof damage Santa Clause and the reindeer >>>> . However some folks like you think that is fair - I pay faithfully my premium and I get have to pay out the pocket . I guess I have to be homeless and be told to die on the side of the road. And if I have to write it off on the income tax, you would say that is unfair. Some folks get a check from insurance and it is then given to the mortage company. The banks do not always give the money back for repairing the house! Flood insurance it is a federal item of the public teat as you say.... FEMA ran out of money to pay flood insurance after we pay the premium . Congress has to pass the bill to get the money to the preimum holder. We all know what a stellar job they do. I guess if it happened to you - you would understand. Houses and businesses are not built in a day or even in two years. There is 300,000 insured houses destroyed owned by hard working people. Where do you get supplies or workman to do the work. They all are in shortsupply.... Where do they stay to rebuild ? You do not live here and do not understand... Where do you MOVE ON to....

well i guess you should have read the policy before you signed it and paid for it.

where do you move to??? away comes to mind.

Why is there so much bitterness shoved about in these forums? This whole Katrina situation is a huge tragedy that we can only hope won't be repeated. No one in his right mind would want to put any money on that, tho'. There's plenty of blame for everyone, including folks like myself who were not immediately impacted by this event and have probably not contributed enough to the relief efforts.

True, there is a lot of corruption, at all levels, past and present, that diverted resources for preparations and timely response. True, there are many who find ways to profit from the misery of others. True, many who were impacted could have done more - a LOT more - to help themselves, past and present. And also true, and I think most significantly, there were MANY who rose to the occasion and showed what real heroes are like.

I have never suffered through the kind of situation that BillCrates has, and I can't ever pretend to know what he's going through, but it all sounds plausible. The last thing someone in his position needs right now is a bunch of us coming down on him for things that are probably completely out of his control.

My sympathy is out to folks like BillCrates and my hat is off to those who are putting the bickering and finger-pointing aside while they take major steps in the forward direction...

dragon002 said:
well i guess you should have read the policy before you signed it and paid for it.

where do you move to??? away comes to mind.

I read the policy many times and the company interpretes it with attorneys and adjusters. What do you mean away ... From Louisiana or the forum:confused:

Related To Story

Courtesy: Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center

Exhibit Marks Anniversary Of St. Patrick's Flood In Pittsburgh

POSTED: 5:46 pm EST March 16, 2006
UPDATED: 1:40 pm EST March 17, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

PITTSBURGH -- Seeing sepia and black-and-white photographs of flood-ravaged Pittsburgh brings back memories for Don Baret.

"I remember seeing a lot of these pictures in the papers," Baret said Thursday after walking through a new exhibit, "The Great Flood of 1936," at the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center.

The exhibit opens Friday and commemorates the 70th anniversary of the St. Patrick's Day flood, considered to be the worst natural disaster to hit the city.

A dozen states were affected, but the Pittsburgh region was hit especially hard. Flood waters reached 46.4 feet, killing 62 people, injuring more than 500, leaving 135,000 homeless and causing more than $150 million in damage.

Baret was 6½ years old when the flooding began and remembers his father taking him from neighboring Bellevue to the city to see the rivers rise.

"He told me, 'I want you to see it because you'll probably never see this again,"' said Baret, an educator at the Heinz Center. "You could see the water rising up the streets."

The next day, his father told him the spot where they stood the day before was now completely under water.

"He was just shy of six feet and that really impressed me," Baret said.

The exhibit features about 60 photos showing flooded streets and buildings in the city and neighboring communities, maps and other artifacts, including front pages of newspapers covering the event and souvenir editions.

Most of the items came from the center's archives, exhibit curator Lauren Uhl said. Some, such as a plaque marking the high-water mark on a candy store about two blocks away from the museum, were donated recently.

Exhibit displays also include a 12-minute silent video of the devastation and a letter written over three days by a woman to her family.

"No one dreamed the water could get so high," Naomi Lowry, of Bellevue, wrote. "Many people weary and worn from long vigil with no food nor water fell from roofs before rescuers could reach them."

Like Lowry, Baret, too, remembers water shortages.

His uncle and father filled the bathtub with snow so "you could flush the commode," Baret said. "It was interesting."

William Deem, 82, of Penn Hills, recalled going down to nearby Oakmont as a teenager to see the flooding.

"You couldn't get to the bridge," he said. "All the railroad tracks were underwater."

His brother, Paul, drove a dump truck and helped in the cleanup. "He'd come back telling us stories," Deem said. "Just imagine, they didn't have the equipment you have today."

The disaster forced the passage of the Flood Control Act that year and began 16 flood control projects that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers estimates cost $500 million and have saved about $8.8 billion in damage.

Baret believes the exhibit will serve as a good reminder. "For older people, it brings back a lot of memories," he said. "For younger people, it will show how bad things really can get and how Pittsburgh can pull together and get back up."

and gee, they didnt blame the president.

they didnt scream for federal cleanup

they rolled up their american sleeves and went to work. cleaned up the mess and rebuilt.

maybe this will inspire some people.

BillCrates said:
Really, a common fact ? That is plain wrong. NO had approx - 300 murders in 2005 - FBI stats. IRAQ in 2005 - approx 800 - DOD statistics.
I thought you were smarter than that.

The only way to compare those numbers (not that they're relevant) is on a per-capita basis.

Let's see. N.O.(300)=500K people. Iraq(800)=10s of MILLIONS of people.

It's not even worth doing the math. :cool:

Eric Goempel said:
Any one in the north BEWARE. The trees from the hurricane zone are being made into mulch and GIVEN AWAY to companies. The problem is that this free mulch has bugs in it that can destroy a house VERY FAST. When you by mulch this spring careful where it is from!

This is supposedly an urban myth. More info can be found on snopes.com. This doesn't mean you shouldn't check your bags of mulch before you put it out though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Could be a urban myth, but my friend at the green house warned me about it. The made sue to get save mulch, but this is my off year to mulch.

Still wish we could get pine straw up here in the north, it is everywhere in Tennessee. Stuff works so much better. Might take a pick-up down next time and bring a load back up.

Lowes and the orange devils will not/can not order it up here.

SimpleSimon said:
I thought you were smarter than that.

The only way to compare those numbers (not that they're relevant) is on a per-capita basis.

Let's see. N.O.(300)=500K people. Iraq(800)=10s of MILLIONS of people.

It's not even worth doing the math. :cool:

The statement was more deaths in NO ( pre Katrina ) than Iraq and Afganistan combined. I thought it was US soldiers killed vs murders in NO - not per capita basis . I was doing an apples to apples comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)