What Sling equipment do I need?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I am a former DirecTV subscriber. While I was with DirecTV, I participated in the cutting edge program. While participating in this program I was introduced to DirecTV's MRV, or Multi Room Viewing, whereby I could watch something recorded on my DVR in my office in my living room.
I would like to be able to duplicate this type of setup on my main TV in my living room with Dish Network. I understand that such a setup can be obtained by the use of Sling boxes and Sling catchers. I will summarize what I would like and perhaps some of you here could help me.
In short, I would like to be able to view HDTV recorded on the 722K in my office on the main television that I use in my living room. In the living room I also have a 722K I would appreciate it if some of you more knowledgeable about Sling technology here could help me decide what Sling products I need to get to enable me to replicate the setup that I had with DirecTV.

Thank you

It kindof depends on what you're going to be watching it on in the office. If you're going to watch it on your PC then all you need is a Slingbox (either the standard or the Pro-HD if you want to watch HD) then point your browser to dish.sling.com create an account and install the slingbox plugin and you can watch & control your 722 through your browser. If you're going to watch it on a TV then you'll need a SlingBox and a Slingcatcher. However this is all pretty much moot if your office is in your house. Then you can simply run a cable from the multi room modulated output to your PC (if you have a tuner card) or the TV in the office.

I looked that one (MRV) up. It would be really sweet if Dish made that feature available between VIP receivers on a local LAN. No need for expensive add-on (or built-in) Sling equipment, if all we really want is HD MRV. Should work fine over fast-Ethernet, though wireless can be problematic for some installations, and HomePlug is way too slow IIRC.

Did I read somewhere that the 922 was a Slingcatcher as well as a Sling... slinger? I fear that, with the Sling Media acquisition, Dish has little incentive to make MRV work between VIP receivers. On the other hand, they're so fee-happy, they might just do it anyway for an additional enabling fee.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)