What speed is sufficient to stream Sling??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I'm being told different things. I have 6mbps down and it has been fine up until now. Now, I call Sling TV and they say 12 minimum. I'm all confused. My 6 ran fine until a week ago and then pixelation started. I've adjusted my connection speed within Sling. All I have is a tablet, smartphone, and Roku hooked up to the internet. Help!!:confused:

I'm being told different things. I have 6mbps down and it has been fine up until now. Now, I call Sling TV and they say 12 minimum. I'm all confused. My 6 ran fine until a week ago and then pixelation started. I've adjusted my connection speed within Sling. Help!!:confused:
Who do you have for internet? I have AT&T 6.0 Fast DSL, & I believe that AT&T has been slowing speeds down at times during the evening. I have my Roku 3 & my Fire TV Stick both set at 720p resolution & stereo audio output, which helps with the picture, but the resolution still degraded to barely watchable when I was watching Game of Thrones last night. It very well could be a problem with the ISP.

Who do you have for internet? I have AT&T 6.0 Fast DSL, & I believe that AT&T has been slowing speeds down at times during the evening. I have my Roku 3 & my Fire TV Stick both set at 720p resolution & stereo audio output, which helps with the picture, but the resolution still degraded to barely watchable when I was watching Game of Thrones last night. It very well could be a problem with the ISP.

It has been reported for a few years now that AT&T are not spending anything to maintain or upgrade their DSL service and wants out of the landline business by 2020, here-

AT&T is more direct: It wants to switch off all of its landline service, everywhere, by 2020. Customers will be given a choice of wireless or U-verse in urban areas and only wireless in rural ones. Where U-verse doesn’t serve, AT&T DSL customers will be in the same boat as Verizon customers on Fire Island: pick an expensive wireless data plan, satellite fraudband, or go without.

http://stopthecap.com/2013/07/08/fc...ist-another-5-10-years-att-wants-out-by-2020/

I'm being told different things. I have 6mbps down and it has been fine up until now. Now, I call Sling TV and they say 12 minimum. I'm all confused. My 6 ran fine until a week ago and then pixelation started. I've adjusted my connection speed within Sling. All I have is a tablet, smartphone, and Roku hooked up to the internet. Help!!:confused:
http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/What-internet-speed-is-necessary-to-stream-Sling-TV

5mbps should do fine, assuming you do not have heavy usage elsewhere.

Per the sling website
The quality of streaming video is directly impacted by Internet speeds. When streaming content over the Internet, your connection speed is constantly changing based on the number of connected devices, as well as, the rate of communication from your Internet service provider.

Check out our list below to see what we recommend for a constant speed by device:

• Constant speed of 3.0 Megabits per second or more - Streaming non-HD video content on portable devices such as, tablets and phones.
  • Constant speed of 5.0 Megabits per second or more - Single stream of video content on a TV, PC, or Mac.
  • Constant speed of 25 Megabits per second or more - Recommended for households who maintain Internet use on multiple devices.

Reactions: andy_horton

Might be your DSL

FCC data shows Windstream is one of the worst ISPs in the country at actually delivering advertised speeds, and our DSLReports user reviews aren't much better.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...Faster-Speeds-as-Frustrated-Users-Flee-136391

I use Windstream 6mbps down

Upgrading Friday to 16mbps down. Hopefully, this helps me. Sling and Windstream both say it will eliminate pixelation and I can readjust my connection speed for Sling. Right now it's set to medium and I'm not happy with the overall quality of pq

I use Windstream 6mbps down
There's a fairly big divide between "up to" 6 and "at least" 5. Up to often means that no more than 50-60% of the advertised speed can be expected on a continuous basis. My rule of thumb is that if you need 5, you have to spring for 10 or better. Your new speed should serve you much better.

if you're using wi fi try changing the wifi to a less congested channel
I was having connection issues on watchespn and changed to channel 4, much better

if you have neighbors with wifi, signals using the same channel could cause problems

Reactions: . Raine
Couldn't get the 16mb down. The apt complex needs to upgrade their wiring. Still have the 6 down hardwired and I've noticed that when it starts to pixelate bad, a hard reset of the Roku 2 and modem unplugged for 10 seconds seems to help

There's a fairly big divide between "up to" 6 and "at least" 5. Up to often means that no more than 50-60% of the advertised speed can be expected on a continuous basis. My rule of thumb is that if you need 5, you have to spring for 10 or better. Your new speed should serve you much better.
I took the 25mbps down, thru Comcast, no data cap with limited basic and HBO and have had no problems since. Windstream couldn't run the higher speed to my house after all so I dropped them. I'm a happy camper!!:bday

Reactions: Troch77 and . Raine
How is it? Better?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Much, much better. I had it on unlimited bandwidth and TBS pixelated some. Turned it to high quality 2.8 and no pixelation. Windstream couldn't get above 1.0 Mbps where Comcast stays consistent at 2.6 on high stream. The quality and Windstream speed also used to consistently drop to.5. Very impressed!! Every once in a blue moon the speed might fluctuate but not enough to really notice more than a few seconds. By the way, I have it hardwired to eithernet cable.

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)