What the.... re: NESN not showing up in my programming

SoxFan34

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
So I sign up for Dish Network... 50% of the reason I did so was to get NESN, the other 50% was for the HD packages.

Well... I get the service today and do not see NESN in my programming. What gives? Is NESN only broadcast in the New England area?

yep :)

Where ya located? (edit: saw your other posts...you're outside of NESN's local area )
If you are outside of New England area, you can add the multi sport pack but the pro games will be blacked out

That stinks. The Dish site doesn't make that very clear and neither did the CSR.

To clarify: if I sign up with NESN, the Sox will be blacked out?

Does anyone know if Directv has NESN as a regional network?

If you want NESN in HD then you have to go with cable or D*. If you are not in the New England area then go with D* and "move".

NESN HD is not available E* even in New England.

The web site says the following on the AT100Plus, 200 and 250 web pages:
"You can receive your local Regional Sports Network based on your immediate geographical area, as determined by your ZIP code. (There may be more than one RSN available in your area.)"

See ya
Tony

TNGTony.... in my ignorance, I thought that RSNs referred to the Fox family of RSNs.

Whoops.. Apparently it is on Multisport. Why would Sox games be blacked out on Multisport if they're not available nationally otherwise? Kinda stinks.

Can't watch Sox games on MLB.TV either if you're in New England..

The reason the REGIONAL sports networks have the name REGIONAL is because they buy the rights to broadcast a sport team's games within that teams REGION. The region for each team is determined by their league so the region for the Celtics is different than the Red Sox which is different than the Bruins. The regional network cannot show you the game outside the region they contracted to show the game. If they want to show the game nationally, they have to buy national broadcast rights which is much more expensive.

See ya
Tony

and then MLB.TV blocks it within the region and allows it outside of it..

Which.. is just ducky if you happen to be at work and want to watch the game... not.. :)

I liked it better when cable-based networks had to allow local antenna-based networks broadcast the game.

The reason the REGIONAL sports networks have the name REGIONAL is because they buy the rights to broadcast a sport team's games within that teams REGION. The region for each team is determined by their league so the region for the Celtics is different than the Red Sox which is different than the Bruins. The regional network cannot show you the game outside the region they contracted to show the game. If they want to show the game nationally, they have to buy national broadcast rights which is much more expensive.

See ya
Tony

That has to be a pain in the a.. for providers to segment by region then by league.

They just bid on it. The big problem is for the viewers.

For instance. If you live in Maine, in a building that doesn't allow satellite dishes (and has no 'exclusive use area), as well as can't get cable (since only about 60% or so can), you can't sign up for MLB.TV and watch games because the state is part of NESN's 'region'.

A friend of mine lives IN the Boston metro area, doesn't have cable, can't put a dish up. He signed up for MLB.TV and all the Red Sox games are blacked out.

How exactly does this help fans? It doesn't. Then again, the MLB has been working against fans (and their wallets) for a very long time... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)