What the...???

Happened to the wife when she was trying to delete episodes. Now I go online if I need to delete several episodes at once.

OK, I'm not saying Scott did this, but I learned by being paranoid and wondering if there was a difference as to "how" I went about this. One can easily make the following mistake and get Scott's result:

If you first select Edit first, then scroll "into" the folder, then hit "Select All," every single recording on our DVR is now tagged for whatever operation you do next, as in if you select "Delete," then all you shows will be deleted. If you have only a few shows in the folder, you will see shows outside your folder tagged, but if you have like 40 episodes in the folder, then you will only see your folder contents displayed on screen and would have to scroll down to see that all recording on the HDD are tagged.

HOWEVER, if you first enter the group, THEN select "Edit," then only the items within that folder will be affected to your options, as is in if you select "Delete", then all of the recordings in that folder will be deleted. I have confirmed this several times.

It is an easy error to commit, and you may not even be aware that you have made it, swearing you didn't hit Edit first. While this is not technically a bug, as it appears to function as designed, it certainly is a design flaw as many people (myself included, except I double-checked before I deleted) will intuitively select "Edit" BEFORE truly moving into the folder. I think one solution should be an "All in Folder" button and an "all DVR events on HDD" botton

Now, this is a good example of why Dish needs an UNerase feature such as TiVo has, and this should answer the question of one member who posted a rather condescending post in a thread a few months ago asking what use there would be for an UNerase feature since the Dish DVR's have a pop-up warning to those of us who we would love to have an UNerase feature in Dish DVR's. Of course, TiVO would probably sue over that, too.

Last edited:
Unerase

OK, I'm not saying Scott did this, but I learned by being paranoid and wondering if there was a difference as to "how" I went about this. One can easily make the following mistake and get Scott's result:

If you first select Edit first, then scroll "into" the folder, then hit "Select All," every single recording on our DVR is now tagged for whatever operation you do next, as in if you select "Delete," then all you shows will be deleted. If you have only a few shows in the folder, you will see shows outside your folder tagged, but if you have like 40 episodes in the folder, then you will only see your folder contents displayed on screen and would have to scroll down to see that all recording on the HDD are tagged.

HOWEVER, if you first enter the group, THEN select "Edit," then only the items within that folder will be affected to your options, as is in if you select "Delete", then all of the recordings in that folder will be deleted. I have confirmed this several times.

It is an easy error to commit, and you may not even be aware that you have made it, swearing you didn't hit Edit first. While this is not technically a bug, as it appears to function as designed, it certainly is a design flaw as many people (myself included, except I double-checked before I deleted) will intuitively select "Edit" BEFORE truly moving into the folder. I think one solution should be an "All in Folder" button and an "all DVR events on HDD" botton

Now, this is a good example of why Dish needs an UNerase feature such as TiVo has, and this should answer the question of one member who posted a rather condescending post in a thread a few months ago asking what use there would be for an UNerase feature since the Dish DVR's have a pop-up warning to those of us who we would love to have an UNerase feature in Dish DVR's. Of course, TiVO would probably sue over that, too.

Yeah an unerase would be nice. My brother has said that he misses that from D*/Tivo unit he had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)