What to do about HD/digital over the air?

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
OK this is my story.
I have 3 tube TVs that work fine for me. I am getting standard def OTA signals fine. I see the FCC says by Feb 2009 the US is going all digital.

Should I get a used Dish Network or Direct TV receivers that don't need subs?
Should I get digital receivers that are made for just OTA HD?
Should I get new TV's with digital tuners, not big on this because it just not the green thing to do?
What about FTA sat. I read that PBS is the only full-time HD. Well I don't need HD but would like local news.
How should I play the $40 government coupon game?

Thanks for any input.

OK this is my story.
I have 3 tube TVs that work fine for me. I am getting standard def OTA signals fine. I see the FCC says by Feb 2009 the US is going all digital.

Should I get a used Dish Network or Direct TV receivers that don't need subs?
Should I get digital receivers that are made for just OTA HD?
Should I get new TV's with digital tuners, not big on this because it just not the green thing to do?
What about FTA sat. I read that PBS is the only full-time HD. Well I don't need HD but would like local news.
How should I play the $40 government coupon game?

Thanks for any input.
By your statement that you get Standard Def OTA signals fine, I assume you are saying that you only use analog reception with your built-in NTSC tuners.
Should you get a used DN or DTV receiver? That's up to you, but if your intent is to only view local SDTV as you're doing now, you'll only need a Digital to Analog converter box.
Should you get new TV's with built-in ATSC tuners? It sounds like you're not into High Definition and are happy with what you currently receive Free OTA. If watching what you currently are in NTSC, then I recommend you just get the bare-bones Digital to Analog Converter boxes with the Gov't coupons.
Personal comment: Do you have a DVD player and a VHS VCR? You likely do, but do you remember how much better the DVD video is over the VHS? When I went to DVD's, I would never go back to VHS because of the increase in clarity. It's a similar increase with Hi Definition free OTA. After seeing free HD programming, I don't want to look at Standard Definition Digital. The difference in HD clarity is stunning.
"What about FTA sat. I read that PBS is the only full-time HD. Well I don't need HD but would like local news." I don't have FTA Satellite, but do have DTV Standard Digital. I'm not willing to pay the extra fees for HD Satellite so I stick with SD. I've yet to see any of my local news broadcast free OTA in HD, though they may be making that transition in the biggest markets like NYC. NBC Nightly News is the only network news that is broadcast in HD. I watch Brian Williams regularly because I want to see the news in HD. And PBS doesn't do full-time HD. They have limited HD free OTA broadcast, like the major networks.

As far as the Gov't coupons, I applied for two. I recommend you do the same and keep the sets you're currently watching. Recommend Just go SD digital. When my analog sets die, they will end up in the plastics recycling bins just like everything else that eventually breaks. Nothing lasts forever. When your SD sets die, then go HD, unless you see one displaying HD with your own eyes and just can't do without anylonger.

Thanks for the input. I have seen HD and it is NICE!!! I hope to go to it someday. As for when the TV's die I have a 27" backup in the basement. I picked up, off of the road, a number of TV's last year and replaced a 25" backup that did not have sound. The 25" went to freecycle and I fully disclosed of the sound problem. I was able to garage sale the ones that worked and toss the rest. I can only dream of how many will be out there this year and next :eek: :up. I have to keep track of them because the locals are talking of charging for removal soon.

I will apply for the coupons and see where it goes.

Thanks

By your statement that you get Standard Def OTA signals fine, I assume you are saying that you only use analog reception with your built-in NTSC tuners.
Should you get a used DN or DTV receiver? That's up to you, but if your intent is to only view local SDTV as you're doing now, you'll only need a Digital to Analog converter box.
Should you get new TV's with built-in ATSC tuners? It sounds like you're not into High Definition and are happy with what you currently receive Free OTA. If watching what you currently are in NTSC, then I recommend you just get the bare-bones Digital to Analog Converter boxes with the Gov't coupons.
Personal comment: Do you have a DVD player and a VHS VCR? You likely do, but do you remember how much better the DVD video is over the VHS? When I went to DVD's, I would never go back to VHS because of the increase in clarity. It's a similar increase with Hi Definition free OTA. After seeing free HD programming, I don't want to look at Standard Definition Digital. The difference in HD clarity is stunning.
"What about FTA sat. I read that PBS is the only full-time HD. Well I don't need HD but would like local news." I don't have FTA Satellite, but do have DTV Standard Digital. I'm not willing to pay the extra fees for HD Satellite so I stick with SD. I've yet to see any of my local news broadcast free OTA in HD, though they may be making that transition in the biggest markets like NYC. NBC Nightly News is the only network news that is broadcast in HD. I watch Brian Williams regularly because I want to see the news in HD. And PBS doesn't do full-time HD. They have limited HD free OTA broadcast, like the major networks.

As far as the Gov't coupons, I applied for two. I recommend you do the same and keep the sets you're currently watching. Recommend Just go SD digital. When my analog sets die, they will end up in the plastics recycling bins just like everything else that eventually breaks. Nothing lasts forever. When your SD sets die, then go HD, unless you see one displaying HD with your own eyes and just can't do without anylonger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)