What to do...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Actually, I was soliciting only opinion.

OK then, opinions I got plenty of today. Half off and all.

When I got the 622, my first impression was that it was softer on SD material than the 508 it replaced. However, I never had it set up to do side by side comparisons. The 508 is currently hooked up to a 32" Sony, while the 622 is on a 56" Toshiba DLP projector. That really isn't fair as a smaller set will always look sharper with the same material. I would say that normal SD material was not up to DVD quality, or even close on the 622.

However, SD material when displayed on an HD channel is noticably sharper than on the equivalent SD channel. This holds true for broadcast channels and for the HD channels that simulcast. I believe that when an HD channel shows SD material, not stretched or chopped, the picture is at or near DVD quality.

The stuff they pass off as HD varies a lot in quality and it isn't just the specific channel. There is stuff that really does look like upconverted NTSC, soft focus film transfers, heavily compressed HD and not so heavily compressed stuff. It looks to me that the uplink engineers are constantly making value judgements on which channels can get a little bit of extra bandwidth.

...I would say that normal SD material was not up to DVD quality, or even close on the 622.

However, SD material when displayed on an HD channel is noticably sharper than on the equivalent SD channel. This holds true for broadcast channels and for the HD channels that simulcast. I believe that when an HD channel shows SD material, not stretched or chopped, the picture is at or near DVD quality.

The stuff they pass off as HD varies a lot in quality and it isn't just the specific channel. There is stuff that really does look like upconverted NTSC, soft focus film transfers, heavily compressed HD and not so heavily compressed stuff. It looks to me that the uplink engineers are constantly making value judgements on which channels can get a little bit of extra bandwidth.

Thanks for your insights. Kind of sounds like my experiences on Comcast, as well. I'd been hoping for better SD channels than I have now. Sad to say, but even though I have about 40 premium channels on Comcast, I only watch the 4 HD premiums now, because I hate to watch the SD channels. :)

Anyway...I jumped off the pier and ordered the DISH today. Install is scheduled for Monday. Getting the 722, and 2-211s. Total of 4 rooms. All installed for free. Hopefully not too bad a price. Getting America's 250 and the HD package, along with locals for $71 a month for 6 months. They'll start charging me for HD after that. They're throwing in HBO and Cinemax for 3 months.

Thanks for everyone's opinions/insights here. If you have any further opinions about the hardware or service that you think might help me navigate the waters easier I'm all ears. Thanks again.

I called DISH today and told them that I wanted to cancel my installation scheduled for tomorrow, because I didn't want to lose my ability to have two HD-DVRs, like I now have on Comcast. I was really not willing to lose my ability to record HD on my upstairs television, nor was I going to spend an additional $600 for an additional 722.

The CSR immediately offered to switch out my new installation from a 722 and two-211s, and install a 722 and a 622 instead for no extra cost. So I'm a much happier camper.

My only lingering concern is the post I read over on the Comcast forum, stating that 65% of DISH customers who had a preference thought that the HD picture on Comcast was better than DISH. What do you guys (those of you who have had both) think of that? You think there's any truth to it, or that this is just massaging of numbers, a la the old Cingular "Fewest Dropped Calls" BS? Everything I've heard is that the pictures on DISH are better than Comcast.

Or more than likely, it's THEIR forum. Of course a bias is going to be shown. And how many Dish customers do you think go to that forum to even be counted? My sister in law who switched from C to Dish sees no difference in SD. (she has no HDTV).

Or more than likely, it's THEIR forum. Of course a bias is going to be shown.

Oh, I understand that, and I also know that the folks who whooped it up on the forum over there because of the testing results are more than likely just trying to justify their own purchasing decisions. Everybody wants to believe that they made the best buying decision, and is willing to listen to whatever statistics will support their position.

I think it's attributed to Mark Twain: "There are three types of lies. Lies. Damn Lies. And statistics."

But I'm hoping to get a few opinions from those who have had both of the services in their homes. I thank you for your feedback, and encourage anyone else to follow up if they have any knowledge/opinion.

I'll certainly be able and willing to give my (reasonably) objective opinion to you in a few days, once I've had the opportunity to sample them both.

Kinda hate to lose all of my episodes of Planet Earth that I've been storing on my HD. Oh well. You have to cut the cord sometimes...:)

BTW: Before I forget to say it. I've used this site quite a bit in the past. I hadn't spent much time here in the last couple of years. But I just want you guys to know how impressed I am with the quantity and quality of resources here. Most everyone here makes a useful contribution, and you Founding Members, Supporting Members, Senior Members, etc., should be very proud of what you have created and maintain. I salute you, and thank you for your work in keeping this valuable resource viable.

All three services have these surveys that "prove" that their service has the most useful channels and the best quality.

Kinda hate to lose all of my episodes of Planet Earth that I've been storing on my HD. Oh well. You have to cut the cord sometimes...:)

I am sure that Planet Earth will be rerun soon on DISH as well. In addition, this is only a $60 decision because that series is currently available on all three DVD formats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)