what would you like your DVR to do?

Kind of like my 4 HD networks at once. That fills up quick though. 30 megabit for a SD TP and 40 for the HD's. I don't think the receiver could decrypt all of that at once though but we are dreaming right?

Wouldn't have to decrypt it all, just record it and decrypt the specific channel in use just like it does already. It definitely should be doable with the existing hardware though as you point out it would use an extreme amount of disk.

I would like my boxes to be smart like MythTV.. meaning when box (A) has 4 recordings at 8pm on Thursday and it can't record all of them because there's a max of 3 tuners, it would be smart enough to ask the other boxes on the network (powerline or ethernet) and tell them to record the show it can't record if they aren't being used.

If you want to add icing on the cake it should transfer the show to the other box when it's done. :)

In order of preference:

1 - External Hard Drive organization
2 - Multiple EHD support (simultaneously)
3 - Longer buffers
4 - Not losing tuner "a" buffer when watching a DVR event
5 - Support for multiple drive EHD units (R.A.I.D.)
6 - COAX digital output
7 - VOD via Ethernet
8 - Video sharing via Ethernet between receivers on the same network
9 - Built in wireless USB network adapter support

All pretty reasonable. All but one are doable via software/firmware updates.

Support to hook up a USB hub and attach more than one external drive simultaneously.

Support to setup and use a NAS device via Ethernet port

Ability to record to an external drive

Folder support for external drives

Ability to manually create and name folders

Ability to manually select and place files into user created folders

Ability to set up folder attributes - i.e a "rolling" folders that records 10 episodes of a show and then rolls around and delete/replaces the oldest episode in the folder with the newest. (Keeps a max number in the folder set by user)

Ability to password protect access to individual folders (restrict R rated movies from kids)

Ability to play video/music content from a folder that isn't off a satellite (home movies, MP3's)

When you create a conflicting timer, the DVR should point out that there is a conflict, but allow you to ask for a "best effort, get what you can" anyway. i.e., it may miss the first five minutes of a show but still record the remainder.

Allow you to schedule a recording for a specific tuner, but allow for "move if necessary" or "never move" based on user choice.

Allow you to move a recording in progress from one tuner to another, warning first that there may be a blip in the recording as tuners are switched.

Transcoding of existing recordings to make more disk space available. Allow user to select priority (Linux "nice" value) so this CPU intensive stuff wouldn't affect overall DVR performance, except if user specifically asked for that.

In the "being ridiculous" category....

I'd just like to be able to watch "My Recordings" when it is raining :eek:.

IOW I'd like a DVR to work more like a VCR -- which allows me to watch anything I've previously recorded, regardless of the weather outside - DUH.

Talon Dancer

Satellite -- the last resort for TV in the boonies.

What model DVR do you have? I hope this isn't a "feature" on new DVRs! I just got a 722 and haven't tried watching recorded shows when there is no signal (it's very rare for me to ever lose signal luckily).

But I have still a 522 that was replaced by the 722 (I need to mail back the 522 soon). I've been watching recorded shows off of that with no satellite cables even hooked up to it (the receiver is deactivated from my account anyway). When you turn it on you see that "aquiring satellite" screen that never completes (obviously), and no buttons seem to work ... except MENU. I can go to MENU->Preferences->MyRecordings and watch recorded shows that way.

Like Haertig said, what model you you have?

I have a 622 and what's going on (or not going on) on the roof has nothing to do with watching what's recorded. And like he said you don't need a dish even connected so you *could* carry it over to a friends house for the evening to watch something he can't get (not that I am encouraging unauthorized uses of your DVR)

What model DVR do you have? ...
I have a 622.

Maybe this has changed in new software updates but when I was replacing my first 622 I had to hoook up the satellite feed in order to view programs off the old 622 before I sent it back.

Rigth now we are recording Mystery. I will run the test when that is over..

Talon Dancer

I think it would be nice if the DVR would find replacements during conflict times.

ex
I am recording CSI and the office, and south park at once. ( I know this isn't possible, and it assumes that no OTA antenna is being used)

It would be nice if the DVR would record south park at a later time when it repeats even though it wouldn't really be a new episode.

I think it would be nice if the DVR would find replacements during conflict times.

ex
I am recording CSI and the office, and south park at once. ( I know this isn't possible, and it assumes that no OTA antenna is being used)

It would be nice if the DVR would record south park at a later time when it repeats even though it wouldn't really be a new episode.

I think the 622 does this now (at least most of the time). I think it is based on priority you've set for a recording. Also think it depends on the order in which you set up the conflicting timers. If i recall correctly, the final conflicting timer has to have a 'new' (same episode number) available at another time. If I'm right about this (not 100% sure), it would be great for the DVR to make the conflicting timer that gets 'bumped' to another time be the one that does have another recording option available. This might annoy people who really wanted to sit down and watch South Park soon after they thought it would record, instead of 3am or the next day, or something. Guess it would be good to be notified "hey due to a conflict, SP will record this Friday at X time".

Yes, somewhat, but it lacks shuffling priorities I believe.

Let's say, using broncobri5's example, my priorities are CSI, then The Office, then South Park. If South Park runs later, then all is good, it will record it at the later time as you indicated. However, if CSI is the one that repeats later, it won't record The Office and South Park now, and CSI later.

I wish the skip forward button was adjustable like the MOXI DVR is. When I had a MOXI while with Charter Cable, I had it set for 3 minutes instead of 30 seconds. Usually one push of the button was all that was needed to skip the commercials. Also, while watching a recording the next and back buttons would skip ahead or back 15 minutes. That came in handy sometimes too.

I find the following is a very big irritant to me. Maybe I am doing something wrong if someone can help out. I am new to Dish's DVRs. Lotsa times my wife and I will start watching a timer program while it is still recording. We do this so we don't have to contend with the commercials. But when we stop watching the recording for any reason, there is no way that I can figure out to keep it stopped at that point. When we come back to watch where we left off we have to start at the beginning or try to figure where we left off and have to fast forward to where we were. Charter's MOXI and their 3416 DVRs would let you watch from where it was stopped last. Does anyone know a way around this? It is really a pain in the ass for us. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)