What would you want Dish to do?

What would you prefer Dish do?

• Full-Time RSNs on CONUS... (See Below)

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • Put full time RSNs on Spotbeam... (See Below)

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters

HDRoberts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Cleveland, OH
In the Dish Channel moves thread, there is rampant speculation that this is to clear space for full time RSNs.

I personally hate the idea as there are several other national channels I wnat to see launched, and I think full time RSNs will take too much bandwidth. I'd rather see HD RSNs go to spotbeams, so people could get their local RSNs in full time HD without costing as much national bandwidth.

Catch is, RSNs on spotbeams would cost Dish the ability to offer out of market sports packs, like Center Ice and League Pass.

So what do you want?

Here are your choices:
Full-Time RSNs on CONUS, perhaps costing Dish the ability to provide AMC, IFC, TCM, HLN, E!, and other popular channels in HD?

Put full time RSNs on Spotbeam as capacity there becomes available, allowing me to get the RSNs we care most about, our own, but not impeding Dish's ability to offer more national HD.

If Dish were to put them on spots ( which if it is rsn hd) that would eliminate the sports pack. I see no way they go to spot which is fine with me. Dish has promised these for over a year now.

Isn't another satellite going up at the end of the year anyway to give us more space??

I want the full time HD, becouse I hate the music/message that they play on the HD channel whenthe game is not being shown in HD!

In all seriousness, I think it would be a great move for them to prove as they say in there recent commercials that for sports you can still go to Dish

Last edited:
If Dish were to put them on spots ( which if it is rsn hd) that would eliminate the sports pack. I see no way they go to spot which is fine with me. Dish has promised these for over a year now.

Isn't another satellite going up at the end of the year anyway to give us more space??

New satellites are not magic ways to get more space. Dish still has the same Transponder allocations before and after.

However, some Dish sats will use the space more efficiently with spotbeams. Which is what this thread is about.

I wouldn't mind full-time rsn hd on a spot, but not at the expense of more national HD...

Other way around. RSNs on spot WOULD NOT be at the expense of national HD, as they would only take up spotbeam space. Maybe they would have to devote 2 more TPs to spot use, but they already spend 2 TPs on part time RSNs.

But putting fill time RSNs on CONUS would most definitely be at the expense of national HD.

My point in the other thread is that most subs would be happy to just have their local RSNs in full time HD, and only a small percent of subs really care about the out of market sports packs.

None of the above. I'm happy with the part time HD RSN's I have now.
I'd rather see them add more locals for the customers that don't have them,and I'd like to see more National HD channels.
Fulltime HD RSN's are a waste of bandwidth, how many infomercials do we need?
Sure they are nice when your watching a game, But E* doesn't have MLB Pack, so all summer is nothing but blackouts. Maybe E* should just add a Partime HD feed to all the SD feeds, Then you can get your local games in HD, and save the bandwidth, for some real programming,
Not 10 channels of the same Womans Vollyball, or World Poker Tour in SD on HD channels like D* does.

. RSNs on spot WOULD NOT be at the expense of national HD, as they would only take up spotbeam space. Maybe they would have to devote 2 more TPs to spot use, but they already spend 2 TPs on part time RSNs.

My point in the other thread is that most subs would be happy to just have their local RSNs in full time HD, and only a small percent of subs really care about the out of market sports packs.
RSN's could never be put on spotbeams. Even though E* doesn't have as many Sports packs as D*, They still have some.
If you put RSN's on Spotbeams, How are all the Seasonal sports pack subscribers supposed to receive their programming? Spotbeams would make Seasonal sports packs limited to the customers who are under the spotbeams only, Not the entire lower 48 states.
I can"t receive Miami Locals on a Spotbeam here in Pa, So if RSN's were on Spotbeams, How would I get FSN Florida?

MLB territories are too large for spotbeams.

True and if you examine a couple of posts earlier in this thread you will find that is was mentioned that it may become necessary to put some RSN's on more than one spot to cover the entire territory.

That would still be less bandwidth than using a conus tp.

True and if you examine a couple of posts earlier in this thread you will find that is was mentioned that it may become necessary to put some RSN's on more than one spot to cover the entire territory.

That would still be less bandwidth than using a conus tp.
Sorry ,But what you just posted makes no sence.
You would have to fit Every RSN on every spotbeam in the lower 48 , How would this take up less space the using conus beam? 2 or 3 Spotbeams , are not going to cover the lower 48 with RSN's.
Sure if E* eliminated out of market RSN's then this would work. But Customers who pay $100-300 on Seasonal sports packs, or someone who wants the Multisports pack , This would never work!
I have 2 Questions for you.
What spotbeams would you use?
What Satellite would you use?

I want more Center Ice in HD but I also want more non premium HD channels.

What option lets me have both?

As far as CI goes be glad that you don't have Cincinnati Time Warner for your CI provider since they have only ONE HD channel,as far as I can see, for CI.
At least with Dish EVERY one of the CI channels has an HD twin and we do get a lot of HD hockey games.

From what I've heard, the best option, bar none, for a die-hard sports fan is to get a C-band dish and pick up the game feeds directly. Sure, you run the risk of them encrypting them someday, but in the meantime you don't have to deal with blackouts, commercials, or other such garbage that infests other programming carriers.

Full-time RSNs on spots. All i really care about is watching my local teams in HD....I'm not a CI/NBALP sub....

RSN's could never be put on spotbeams. Even though E* doesn't have as many Sports packs as D*, They still have some.
If you put RSN's on Spotbeams, How are all the Seasonal sports pack subscribers supposed to receive their programming? Spotbeams would make Seasonal sports packs limited to the customers who are under the spotbeams only, Not the entire lower 48 states.
I can"t receive Miami Locals on a Spotbeam here in Pa, So if RSN's were on Spotbeams, How would I get FSN Florida?

That's the trade off. RSNs on spots would kill the seasonal sports packs. Customers wanting CI or LP would have to go to D*.

Full-Time RSNs on CONUS, perhaps costing Dish the ability to provide AMC, IFC, TCM, HLN, E!, and other popular channels in HD?
Channels that Dish doesn't have contracts for yet today, and will require renegotiation before they can be made available...

Put full time RSNs on Spotbeam as capacity there becomes available, allowing me to get the RSNs we care most about, our own, but not impeding Dish's ability to offer more national HD.
RSNs that they already have agreements with today, are already uplinked on CONUS TPs, and channels for which they are already selling multiple subscription packages. This isn't like a typical channel takedown where they still get subscriber dollars, the loss of national RSNs directly correlates to a loss in subscriber revenue.

From a pure dollars and cents standpoint, I still think over-the-top revenue generated by the out of market and multi-sports packs still provides more net benefit than adding channels like AMC, IFC, TCM to the existing subscription packages.

Capacity needs to be managed in line with revenue generation, and that's one of the reasons Dish has 15 full-time HD PPV channels. (something I think we can both agree is ridiculous)

How about we do AMC, IFC, TCM, etc in part-time HD? Dish still does "games-only" HD feeds for the RSNs, and releases the bandwidth to your channels when it's not being used on heavy game nights?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)