What's Available in DD 5.1 Audio on Dish?

Michael2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Southern California
I only have a 2.0 audio system now. I thought if a lot of content is being broadcast in 5.1 now, I would invest the time and money to upgrade (which is fairly big investment in both categories, especially the rear channels). I've looked at the program guide, but it doesn't really say, at least that I can see. I've also heard that some of the audio is encoded 2 channel Pro Logic. Again, I don't know that content is being broadcast in that either. I have the Top 250 package, and no additional pay channels.

My other question is does the 211K OTA tuner pass 5.1 audio if it is being broadcast?

Michael

I only have a 2.0 audio system now. I thought if a lot of content is being broadcast in 5.1 now, I would invest the time and money to upgrade (which is fairly big investment in both categories, especially the rear channels). I've looked at the program guide, but it doesn't really say, at least that I can see. I've also heard that some of the audio is encoded 2 channel Pro Logic. Again, I don't know that content is being broadcast in that either. I have the Top 250 package, and no additional pay channels.

My other question is does the 211K OTA tuner pass 5.1 audio if it is being broadcast?

Michael
5.1 is dependent on the broadcaster Dish has NO control over 5.1.
Yes the 211K OTA does pass on 5.1.

Maybe someone "in the know" can reply with a specific number of channels or list; but until then, I'll report what I know from experience. I know the local networks usually broadcast in surround, as well as the premiums and most HD cable networks. Not sure about the SD channels.. with prices as low as they are for 5.1 systems, I'd say to go for it. Even if the content isn't all in "true surround", most (if not all) current systems can simulate surround well enough go at least better fill your room with sound. Oh, and the subwoofer alone is reason enough..

Maybe someone "in the know" can reply with a specific number of channels or list; but until then, I'll report what I know from experience. I know the local networks usually broadcast in surround, as well as the premiums and most HD cable networks. Not sure about the SD channels.. with prices as low as they are for 5.1 systems, I'd say to go for it. Even if the content isn't all in "true surround", most (if not all) current systems can simulate surround well enough go at least better fill your room with sound. Oh, and the subwoofer alone is reason enough..

I've heard that some programs may say 5.1, but many shows end up being stereo. What's your experience?

I don't really like the simulated surround sound, so I was wondering if I am really going to get much use out of the extra channels. So let's say you have Speed Channel in HD, will the audio be 5.1 surround some of the time, all the time, none of the time?

Thanks.

Michael

Only programming recorded in 5.1 will be in 5.1. Most sporting events are in 5.1 nowadays, so unless if you are watching an OLD repeat, it should be in surround. Dish does pass the 5.1 on if it exists, at least with HD channels. The question to answer is, what about SD channels?

In my experience, it's the premiums & VOD that have the best chance of being 5.1. And certainly they aren't all 5.1, not by a long shot. But BDs tend to have surround sound, and that's where I get most of my surround listening, along with SACD & DVD-A.

I have a 7.1 system. I'd say a good center is the best part of a surround sound system, followed by a good sub. Make sure you're buying a CENTER speaker, and not just one that matches your fronts.

Oh, and a lot depends on proper hookup if the 5.1 system. Do not use the RCA (red and white) audio connectors. These are two channel (stereo) only. Only use a digital or optical connector of some sort (HDMI, optical, ext.). And connect it directly from the source (I.e. Dish receiver) to the surround receiver.

I have a 7.1 system. I'd say a good center is the best part of a surround sound system, followed by a good sub. Make sure you're buying a CENTER speaker, and not just one that matches your fronts.

I have a 6.1 system and back up navychop. If you go 6.1 the back center is also a main speaker.

Thanks for the tips guys.

What would be different about the center compared to the the side speakers, other than it is usually horizontal?

Am I correct in that 5.1 is mostly with just movies, and some sports (ESPN?)? Are we talking 5% of programming material on other HD channels (History, Nat Goegraphic, Bravo, etc.) or 50%...or 0%?

Michael

What would be different about the center compared to the the side speakers, other than it is usually horizontal?

The center speaker should be one that projects the voice so that it is clear, and as important, directed more straight from the screen not a wide pattern . Otherwise you are constantly turning up the volume to hear the voice even if you can set each speaker's volume. And if the voice does not sound like it is coming from screen, it will seem out of sync. Some people use their built in speakers even with a 5.1 audio system. They put the volume of the TV speakers very low, but it gives that focus for the voice.

Quality center range speakers have extremely low distortion and only mid range frequency response. if you are using good components it is also essential to use good speaker wire. I've been using 12AWG for some time now and have found an audible difference.

Am I correct in that 5.1 is mostly with just movies, and some sports (ESPN?)? Are we talking 5% of programming material on other HD channels (History, Nat Goegraphic, Bravo, etc.) or 50%...or 0%?

Michael

It is going to depend on what you watch but for me 95% of the stuff I watch is 5.1 which tends to be sports and primetime programming

95% sounds good. I do watch different material, though. I rarely watch sports unless it is the Olympics or college football, and I don't watch primetime really at all. Of the HD channels, I watch Encore East, History, Bravo, Speed, Nat Geo, Fox, Fox Business, CNBC, Animal Planet, Reelz, Paladia, Tru, and a few others.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts