what's better about having any other sats than 110 and 119

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zap2346

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
is 118 free with the top 200

i've been reading all about people having more than 110 and 119. what will this do for me? what are the advantages? Is this better than just 110 and 119? My whole house is SD if that helps No HD

Last edited:
The HD content is on 61.5 or 129. International stuff mostly on 118. There is really no reason to have anything else if your SD only. Of course the Pentagon channel is on 61. 5 if you want that. :)

I think some locals in SD are on the 129 and 61.5. Pretty sure the Columbus Ohio locals, for example are on 129 and they aren't available in HD yet either.

Acer

There are no advantages or disadvantages to having more that 110 and 119, it solely depends what programming you are receiving. Before HD began to make its push, all customers receiving mainstream programming were getting it from 110 and 119. Now, most HD programming either comes off the 61.5 or 129 satellite depending on what market you are in. If you are on the east coast you will probably get your HD from 61.5 the central and western US, 129. The newest locations, 72.7 and 77 were launched to provide a "one dish solution" for new customers in the east using the new 1000.4 dish (61.5, 72.7 and 77) while the customers receiving HD from 129 use the 1000.2 dish to receive 110, 119 and 129. The newest satellites (72.7 and 77) are MPEG 4 which can ONLY be received with the HD ViP series of receivers. Dish Network will be installing new customers on the eastern arc (61.5, 72.7 and 77) with the 1000.4 and ViP receivers regardless of whether or not they are subscribing to HD programming. This also make it convienent when those customers get and HD set, they will only have to connect a cable from the receiver to the TV without a service call. Another satellite that is common is the 118.7, this is used for all international programming and can only be received by using the PLUS dish. The final location in service is the 148 which did mirror 61.5, but does not have HD programming on it and has some international programming some of which is being migrated to 118.7. Lastly there are two locations that are no longer in service which are the 105 and 121 the used to be for local channel using the cumbersome SUPERDISH. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate.

what exactly do you mean by plus dish? are you refering to the pro plus lnbfs or are you saying it's a completely different dish? if i get this dish do i have to pay any extra for the programming? 118 sounds like a good sat

118.7 is only able to be picked up with a Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+

You dont need 118 unless you sign up for a international programming package. Your programming dictates what sats you need. Not the other way around.

The PLUS dish to which I'm referring is the 500+ and also the 1000+. The 500+ receives the 110, 118.7 and 119. The 1000+ receives 110, 118.7, 119 and 129. The LNBs on this dish are only Dish Pro and the main LNB is a dual band for receiving 119 and 118.7. The 110 and 129 sats are received using DP Duals (or singles). In order for this dish to work, this requires a switch in order to connect all sats. A DP34 or DPP33 switch is required for the 500+ and a DPP44 switch is required for the 1000+.

As I said before, the 500/1000+ is the only dish for receiving 118.7. This is probably the weakest of all the satellites (execpt for the 129 possibly until it is replaced) and is only used for international programming, which you can look up subscription rates on Dish Network's website. You can add any satellite you want, but the only programming you will receive is the channel that says what satellite you are pointed to (channels 9900-9904). I have a 500+ which is for the French Bouquet ($220 annually), but still use a majority of my programming from 110 and 119. So the short answer to your question is yes, you do have to pay extra for programming from other satellites. If you needed the other satellites for your programming, Dish would have set you up for what you needed.

All the SD programming in shared by 110 and 119 and your locals. If you cover one of your eyes on your LNB, you will see the programming you will lose and vice versa.

Some more links to help you sort things out:

EKB: Echostar Satellites gives an overview of what's on each one. Most subscribers get by with Dish 500 (110/119), some add a 3rd sat for HD or international, some need 4 to get both, and there are even a few that need 5.

EKB: Dish Types compares the various dishes Dish has come out with and shows what they are for.

EKB: Plus Dish (Dish 1000+ / Dish 500+) has pictures of the dish needed for most international channels

I have a question. I live on the east coast and get my HD channels on 61.5. I take my receiver and portable dishes with me when I travel in my RV. If I go to the west coast can I just point the wing dish to 129 instead of 61.5 and get the same programing I currently get at home or do I have to make changes to the receiver or my account?

Most likely yes, with the exception of your local channels which are probably only on 61.5 and on a spotbeam, as soon as you get too far out of town you would lose those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts