What's the cheapest way to get locals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I'm debating whether or not to sign up again since I'm streaming only but I miss my "moved" locals, and I just want to know how to get those and I really don't need anything else from Dish. And yes I know I need a core package on top of it, so I want as little as possible. I'm not sure if I'll sign up again or not but I'm investigating my options.

I'm debating whether or not to sign up again since I'm streaming only but I miss my "moved" locals, and I just want to know how to get those and I really don't need anything else from Dish. And yes I know I need a core package on top of it, so I want as little as possible. I'm not sure if I'll sign up again or not but I'm investigating my options.
Well not sure what you mean by moved locals, but I assume it's in a different area than where you currently reside. So OTA is the cheapest as in free for locals, but since you want locals that are not available by OTA in your Area, then you could try researching Tubi or other streaming services, keep in mind with Dish you're going to incure receiver or DVR fees in top of your programming. I'm not sure if SLING offers locals?

This is how we did it back in the day.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 89
Here's a weird question, I haven't updated my OTA equipment to get the new 3.0 standard. Is the Hopper ready to receive that signal, when I do so? My TV is over 10 years old, so I'll need a new TV to get OTA on the built in tuner.
Hopper is not ready because they don't have an OTA dongle for it that can decode ATSC3.

Well not sure what you mean by moved locals, but I assume it's in a different area than where you currently reside. So OTA is the cheapest as in free for locals, but since you want locals that are not available by OTA in your Area, then you could try researching Tubi or other streaming services, keep in mind with Dish you're going to incure receiver or DVR fees in top of your programming. I'm not sure if SLING offers locals?
They do for NBC and Fox, but only in certain areas. If you use an antenna you can use Air tv Anywhere ota device with internal hard drive. It has 4 tuners and can record up to 4 shows at a time. You can also use just a 2 tuner device for Air Tv if you want. Besides all the ota channels are in the guide once you scan for them, in the same interface as Sling tv. Makes it convenient.

Reactions: charlesrshell
IF you have relatives that live in another area that have good OTA channels, and they have high-speed internet, you could install an Airtv tuner at their house, and watch those channels at your home. Either the Airtv 2 or the Airtv Anywhere: Products | AirTV
Exactly what I am talking about. Thanks for the link.

Well I have Hulu Live of which I have no plans on dropping. And I can't use my VPN on Hulu since they don't just go by IPS address but GPS location as well and I can't use geospoofing since I use Apple devices. And even if I used something like YouTube TV, my VPN doesn't have the Twin Cities as a VPN location, and while the Twin Cities isn't local for me, it's semi-local, which is what I'm looking for. (For example Chicago is the closest city I can get with my VPN, but it isn't semi-local.). I get my true locals through my OTA antenna anyways, but I can't always get the Twin Cities. I'm looking to pay a price as long as it's not too bad of a price. And once my equipment is installed, I'll call and tell Dish I "moved" and then I can get the Twin Cities as my locals. I miss the show "Twin Cities Live" and the Hopper feature "Primetime Anytime" anyways.

Well I have Hulu Live of which I have no plans on dropping. And I can't use my VPN on Hulu since they don't just go by IPS address but GPS location as well and I can't use geospoofing since I use Apple devices. And even if I used something like YouTube TV, my VPN doesn't have the Twin Cities as a VPN location, and while the Twin Cities isn't local for me, it's semi-local, which is what I'm looking for. (For example Chicago is the closest city I can get with my VPN, but it isn't semi-local.). I get my true locals through my OTA antenna anyways, but I can't always get the Twin Cities. I'm looking to pay a price as long as it's not too bad of a price. And once my equipment is installed, I'll call and tell Dish I "moved" and then I can get the Twin Cities as my locals. I miss the show "Twin Cities Live" and the Hopper feature "Primetime Anytime" anyways.
Anybody have an answer for this post?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts