What's the difference in the Joeys?

Gmaster1989

Original poster
Sep 7, 2023
USA
Hi there,

So, I am seeing that there is both a Super Joey and Joey 4k and I am curious as to whether I should upgrade from my Wired Joey or is it pretty much the exact same equipment? Obviously the 4K one supports that but is there any real significant difference between the newer/different models and the 2 Wired ones I have currently? Also is there going to be a charge or would they swap them for nothing?

Thanks for reading and or responding :)

DISH's Joey naming is odd.

They have the regular wired Joey.
They have the 4K Joey
They have the Wired Joey 4
They have the Wireless Joey 4

If I were getting a Joey now I would want one of the last two. The Joey 4's which are 4K and add in support for Android TV Apps.

I would stay far away from the 4K Joey as though it is named the 4K Joey it can not display like 4K from DISH in HDR which kind of makes it pointless as most of the live 4K from DISH is in HDR now.

Joey's still in use
Joey 2 - 2nd generation joey used with Hopper 1 and 2. Has same apps as Hopper except Prime and Youtube
Joey 3 - Joey that matches up with Hopper 3 and Hopper Duo.. Same apps as Hopper 3.
Joey 4 - 4K/HDR Joey only used with Hopper+
Super Joey - used with Hopper 1 & 2: Adds 2 more tuners to the system
Wireless Joey - The wireless version of the Joey 2
Wireless Joey 4 - The wireless version of the Joey 4

Joey's still in use
Joey 2 - 2nd generation joey used with Hopper 1 and 2. Has same apps as Hopper except Prime and Youtube
Joey 3 - Joey that matches up with Hopper 3 and Hopper Duo.. Same apps as Hopper 3.
Joey 4 - 4K/HDR Joey only used with Hopper+
Super Joey - used with Hopper 1 & 2: Adds 2 more tuners to the system
Wireless Joey - The wireless version of the Joey 2
Wireless Joey 4 - The wireless version of the Joey 4
Is there a difference in prices with the Joeys? I just had the Hopper+ installed, and I am wanting to know if there is a price difference per month on my Dish Bill?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Joey's still in use

One mistake, Unlike the Hopper 3 the Joey 3 does not have YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for my confusion.

I am talking about wired Joey 4 here.

Scott says it has android apps, but Hipkat says "Joey 4 - 4K/HDR Joey only used with Hopper+."

When I asked before, I thought I was told that Joey 4 would work with Hopper3 without Hopper+ and have the android apps for H3 and J4 to use which seems to be what Scott is saying.

Which one is correct. This is a pretty big deal for me.

The wired Joey 4 does not require a Hopper + to operate but Dish will not install a leased Joey 4 without requiring a Hopper +.

If you only want a Joey 4 without a Hopper + you must purchase the Joey 4 from Solidsignal. You can then do a self install.

Many of us are upset that Dish requires a Hopper + in order to get a Joey 4. Some customers have disconnected the Hopper + after getting their Joey 4 installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. First, I remember now about have to get H+ to get J4. Apologies for not remembering.

Now:

Is all of the following correct?

I can go to Solidsignal and get a Joey and self install it (paying rent to fDish every month for it even though I bought it from SS) and get Amazon Prime on it like on a H3.

Or I can get a J4 (rented from Dish) with a Hopper+ (which is free) and then just dump the H+, but have Prime on the H3 and J4.

If I am correct, what do I do with the disconnected H+?

Ok. First, I remember now about have to get H+ to get J4. Apologies for not remembering.

Now:

Is all of the following correct?

I can go to Solidsignal and get a Joey and self install it (paying rent to fDish every month for it even though I bought it from SS) and get Amazon Prime on it like on a H3.

Or I can get a J4 (rented from Dish) with a Hopper+ (which is free) and then just dump the H+, but have Prime on the H3 and J4.

If I am correct, what do I do with the disconnected H+?
Set that H+ in a safe place and when and if you go to another provider you can give it back to them if they request it. Now, Amazon Prime works on the Joey 3, 4K Joey, and the Joey 4. The Joey 4 gets its apps from Android while the 3 and 4K are built in. Now, if all you are interested in is Amazon all you really need is a Joey 3. You can get that from DISH as a replacement for an older Joey or a new location.