What's the latest on 811 fixes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ilaudio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Any word on when the Dark S-Video will be fixed?

How about guide that needs to reload itself all the time or can go 2 days ahead but states "info not available"?

Open TV?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have a sneeky feeling the Dark video problem will never be fixed.

The motion is seconded. All in favor...

Just make sure you have your dark video complaints logged with Dish. This might get you some recourse when Dish finally admit the 811 can not be fixed with a software update. End of April is my timeline to give up on the 811 and make some waves.

Keith.

markusian said:
Does this sneaky feeling tell you that a hardware recall might fix it?
No that sneaky feeling tells me that there will be no more acknowledgement of the problem from Dish. And that feeling tells me that units which are just coming out have the problem fixed.

With that said I don't believe (infact I am SURE) there won't be a recall, instead you might call in sometime in the near future and be able to get a RMA and maybe just maybe you will get one of the new units.

This way Dish can quiet the squeeky wheels without recalling all the units.

Of course the 811 has lots of problems besides the dark video issue.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No that sneaky feeling tells me that there will be no more acknowledgement of the problem from Dish. And that feeling tells me that units which are just coming out have the problem fixed.

With that said I don't believe (infact I am SURE) there won't be a recall, instead you might call in sometime in the near future and be able to get a RMA and maybe just maybe you will get one of the new units.

This way Dish can quiet the squeeky wheels without recalling all the units.

I think you are again correct. My wheels are getting very squeeky on May 1st - and I will be asking Dish for a newer 811 with the dark image problem hardware fix!

Keith.

BTW I guess I can let the cat out of the bag.

I have origionally been told what I reported above from my insider contacts at Dish.

I have not officially reported it because I do not believe Dish will officially confirm this. They feel that only a few videophiles are complaigning about the problems, and Joe Sixpack does not seem to notice the problem.

This actually may work out for them if people with 811's who want to exchange units for a fixed one can do so without jumping through a million hoops.

Its a wait and see thing now.

Scott Greczkowski said:

I have origionally been told what I reported above from my insider contacts at Dish.

I have not officially reported it because I do not believe Dish will officially confirm this. They feel that only a few videophiles are complaigning about the problems, and Joe Sixpack does not seem to notice the problem.

This actually may work out for them if people with 811's who want to exchange units for a fixed one can do so without jumping through a million hoops.

I hope so. Sounds a lot like the way they handled the 4700 "red Jaggy" hardware problem.

NightRyder

Scott Greczkowski said:

From a business perspective, it make some sense to not swap out units where the customers isn't complaining. Why fix what isn't broken? (or perceived to be not broken).

On the other hand, Dish should be accomodating with people that complain. I am fed up with getting the CSR shuffle and nobody at Dish is telling me that my 811 has a hardware problem that will NEVER be fixed in software. Waiting for the 266 software rev, LOL. I would love to know what date code to look for to get a fixed 811!

If someone knows which resistors/capacitors/voltage references/whatever to change in the old 811's, let me know :)

Keith.

Mine continues to get worse

Is it just me or does it seem that the day of an update things seem improved like the guide and then a few days later you have the same problem you had before or even worse. I did not have to reload the guide until update 255. My S-video was dark but 255 made it useless. My 49% problem seemed better when 255 came out but now is worse than it has ever been. I am a new Dish customer but if things continue on day 365 of my contract they can have their 811 back for good, and to think at one time I considered buying a 921............

Scott Greczkowski said:

Its a wait and see thing now.

Will we have to pay shipping? That would be bs! It's their fault. They should eat the costs.

When will the new hw boxes be available? What do we look for in the system info screen to tell if we have pre or post hw-fix units?

John, I am not sure about others but I am using the S-video to feed my DVD recorder. I have DVI going to the tv and it looks fine. My DVD recorder is useless with the quality of the picture coming from the S video

I have to second Garypen's questions and wonder when in the near future
can we call and have it replaced.The dark video is the biggest complaint
I have with my 811 because of the way it affects my vcr recording.If they
don't replace it then they should let me out of the commitment to the HD
package.The 811 is a piece of junk at any price if they won't fix or replace
because of the dark video.I bought it in good faith they should replace or
fix it in the same way!!!

BOYCOTT26 said:
I have to second Garypen's questions and wonder when in the near future
can we call and have it replaced.The dark video is the biggest complaint
I have with my 811 because of the way it affects my vcr recording.If they
don't replace it then they should let me out of the commitment to the HD
package.The 811 is a piece of junk at any price if they won't fix or replace
because of the dark video.I bought it in good faith they should replace or
fix it in the same way!!!

What he said! I am calling tomorrow to see what can be done. Everytime I called they tell me it will be fixed in software. I have been more than patient about this 811 mess.

NightRyder said:
Sounds a lot like the way they handled the 4700 "red Jaggy" hardware problem.

NightRyder

You have no idea how much my blood pressure shot up just reading the words "red jaggy." It took over a year before I was ever able to straighten out my problem with Dish with that whole fiasco, and then I had to end up settling for a crummy refurbished receiver as a replacement.

If this 811 boondoggle even comes close to that mess, I'll be leaving Dish without ever looking back. I've been more than patient with them (I went back to using my 4700/4900 a couple of months ago), but time is running out.

Even if there is a hardware fix, how are we going to be sure that we get a replacement unit with the non-faulty chip? I'm not looking forward to playing CSR roulette just to have a chance at playing hardware roulette.

Scott

John Kotches said:
Well, IMO a videophile wouldn't be using an S-Video connection :D

That's what DVI was invented for, digital to the panel... baby!

Cheers,

What use is DVI-D into my analog Barco CRT front projector? I don't use the Barco with the 811, it's too depressing. Better to hook the 811 into a low res display and not notice its faults :)

Keith.

Hmmm, how could the people at dish not notice the dark s-video output? This is troubling to hear that they can't fix this in software. At least the component is good, but still, like many others, I used the simultaneous s-video output to run to a Windows Media center machine, and I have been waiting patiently for dish to fix this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts