What's with Rex CRYan?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
This guy is really starting to make me nervous. I'm starting to think he should not be coaching in the city with the most intense media coverage in the country.

They start off 3-0, and everywhere you turn you see...AND HEAR...the guy, and he's acting like he reinvented the game. Then you hear players like Bart Scott chiming in, with how great the defense is as well. Note to Bart...in New York you need to actually WIN something before you can tell us how great you are. You didn't hear a peep out of the Yankees all the way through the playoffs, and they did actually win.

Things head south, and even though he lost the anchor of his defense, Kris Jenkins, and the team stops winning, the guy doesn't relent with the bravado. It sounded odd but funny at 3-0. When you're losing it sounds odd and pathetic.

Regarding his rookie QB, Cryan reminds me of the dad on the soccer sidelines whose six year old shows some skills, and his team wins a few games, and he starts talking and acting like the kid's team is the greatest team on the planet. The last thing Sanchez needs is the pressure Cryan is putting on him, he needs to grow into the position and learn from his mistakes. I think with proper handling the kid can be good. Not sure if he's getting the proper handling, though.

So now we have Sanchez reading from a list before the reporters after the game and not taking questions. Uh, Mark, this is New York, not LA where everyone fawns all over USC even when they lose. You do not want to turn the media against you here, they are giving you every opportunity to succeed...but will turn on you if you act as condescendingly as the coach does.

And incidentally, when did Sanchez make that list anyway...while he was taking a shower? Or did he already have it prepared before the game?

And Cryan Crying. Oh my goodness, I don't know what to make of that. He can bring a box of Kleenex to the next press conference to try to make light, but it's still odd and disturbing.

A head coach needs to maintain an even keel when nobody else does. He is getting way too high during the wins, and way too low during the losses. I've been commenting all along about his weight, I hope he's a healthy man. Now I have to hope he's mentally healthy enough to coach an NFL team in New York as well.

Sandra

Last edited:
I'd be patient with both Sanchez and Ryan. I don't think they're going anywhere this year, but the future looks bright.

OK, this week's coaching bluster is about the Patriots throwing deep to Randy Moss in the dying minutes of a game where the Patriots are up 31-14. Earth to Rex...even though you don't act professional, this is professional football. Everything is fair game. If you don't want to see your team humiliated...COACH THEM BETTER.

Never has so much been said by someone who has accomplished so little.

I'm starting to think the 'Drama of the Week' show is an attempt to deflect attention from the real matter at hand, the fact that his team is not very good. The funny thing is, with all of the mitigating circumstances...new coach, rookie QB, the loss of Leon Washington and Kris Jenkins, etc., Jet fans would be quick to write this off as a rebuilding year and look positively upon a 4-6 record.

At least Mangini is gone.

But no, Rex and his guys had to tell us over and over and over again how great they are, so now they're being held to their own higher standard.

And Ryan has got to reel in his California Boy at QB. Sanchez's act is not going to work in New York. The hot dogs on the sidelines, the condescending way he treats the press, the GQ cover, the way he acts like they're undefeated when he's a big part of the reason why they're not...

Time to start building toward 2010, and that starts with benching Sanchez now, at least for a game or two. It's not about wins the rest of this year, it's irrelevant whether Clemens leads them to victory or defeat...Sanchez is still the QB in 2010...if he handles it properly.

But Sanchez has got to stop getting everything handed to him on a platter...he has to earn it for a change. Pete Carroll said he did not think Sanchez was ready for the NFL. At the time it sounded selfish. Now it sounds prescient.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)