When AMC 15 Flies at 105....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
I assume the Superdish will be smaller? No need for the wide dish due to better power?

bcshields said:
I assume the Superdish will be smaller? No need for the wide dish due to better power?

I thought the size of SuperDish was mainly determined by 105 not being a DBS but a FSS satellite which has a smaller spacing between neighboring satellites. The bigger dish allows for a better focus to reject signals from neighboring birds. But then again, I may be wrong.

It has a lower frequency therefore a lower power. Charlie said on a previous chat that the SuperDish may get a few inches smaller but that was about it.

FSS vs. BSS (Or DBS)

FSS is not allowed to have as much power as BSS (Broadcast Satellite Service) also generically called DBS in this forum. The power is measured within the footprint in decibel watts (dbW) at the receive antenna (dish). It is a function of downlink transmitted power & antenna gain, and footprint size and other less important factors. The fact of the matter the allowed dbW by FCC regulations is less for FSS than BSS so one can conclude for equal fade resistance, FSS requires a larger dish.

Everything else being equal, FSS has SLIGHTLY less gain than BSS at the antennas because higher frequencies produce more gain. I'll post the formula if someone is interested. The difference is not that significant in this case as both services are in the Ku band.

And yes as was already pointed out, the larger dish has more immunity to adjacent satellite interference. Other factors include off set dishes being more immune than prime focus dishes and the focal length to dish diameter ratio. FSS has 2 degree spacing while BSS has 9 degree spacing and that accounts for the FCC permitting higher power (dbW) for BSS. Interesting, the 9 degree spacing was based on analog vice digital service and since digital service is more resistant adjacent satellite interference, there's a good possibility that BSS may some day be allowed 4.5 degree spacing.

...but will amc15 give better signal strength without tweaking my superdish? i only have a peak of 58 on my 105 now...rain fade is a big issue...i'm located in sw michigan.

Riski be patient in theory you should be ok but wait for the satellite to be launched and deployed until then it is all theory.

riski said:
...but will amc15 give better signal strength without tweaking my superdish? i only have a peak of 58 on my 105 now...rain fade is a big issue...i'm located in sw michigan.

Did not Dish say that michigan was not a good spot for 105?

bruce said:
Did not Dish say that michigan was not a good spot for 105?
Yep, with the current AMC-2 it's not good, but the replacement AMC-15 is supposed to fix that issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)