When can we get these Sling Extenders for our VIP 922 boxes?

satellitecustomer242

Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Wake Forest, NC
If you want to read more about it, this box right here is what you want to get along with your VIP 922 box. I just found out about it today. It looks good so far.

The Sling Receiver 300.

Sling Media - Sling Receiver 300

http://www.slingmedia.com/get/io_1261439643930.html

It's the same thing that Dish Network is calling their "Sling Extender"

Slingbox - TV Everywhere Satellite TV System - DISH Network (click right arrow to see it)

This is what you'd need to install on multiple HDTVs or standard definition TVs in other rooms in order to access separate "live" programs or DVR recorded programs via your VIP 922 box.

What I am wondering is if you can watch SEPARATE "live" channels on the first TV, the 2nd/3rd TVs AND your PC AND your iPhone at the same time. What I want is a "super box" that is basically like a powerful computer server. It can independently "serve up" separate "live" or DVR recorded programs to any type of networked device ... perhaps even 3 separate HDTVs, 3 PCs, 3 iPhones, etc.

As far as hooking it all up goes ....

Older TVs could use the "External power supply with integrated HomePlug Turbo networking" method of accessing the "super box satellite receiver/server". Some HDTVs with Ethernet plugs could use CAT-5 cable if you wire your house for it. The VIP 922 receiver has an ethernet plug.

You could also buy a "USB wireless network adapter" for your VIP 922 receiver and for each of your TVs. That way you wouldn't have to pay to wire your house with CAT-5 cable and jacks. With wireless network adapters you also have the flexiblility of moving your TV around to different parts of a room if you want to.

The VIP 922 has one USB jack but it needs TWO so you can use the "USB wireless network adapter" and the external hard drive. Alternatively, you could buy a "USB 2.0 hub" so you could use both the external USB hard drive and the "USB wireless network adapter".

Dynex™ - 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub - DX-B4PORT

As far as "USB wireless network adapters go, Tivo sells them right now. I'm sure there will be more of these available soon that are certified to be used with Dish Network satellite boxes like the VIP 922.

TiVo® - Wireless-G USB Network Adapter - AG0100

The "Sling Receiver 300" has a USB jack that you can plug a "USB wireless network adapter" into. Each one of the "USB wireless network adapters" on the 2nd or 3rd HDTVs would communicate with the "USB wireless network adapter" on the VIP 922 receiver. The VIP 922 receiver's wireless adapter would then communicate with your "wireless N router". From there your VIP 922 can send "live" or DVR recorded programs to any PC in your home or your wireless laptop and your iPhone ... anywhere you can access the internet.

Cisco Linksys - E1000 Wireless-N Router - E1000

I would be shocked if this came out anytime soon. The reliability of the sling side of the 922 is horrible. Obviously they can't sell a customer this when the tech only works maybe 1/2 the time. I was about to right a post praising Dish for adding the auto bitrate to the sling site. But today I can only sling a blank screen over a gigabit wired connection. Good times.

As for the number of devices you can only sling to 1 device at a time. You can do whatever on TV1 at the same time.

Looks like my problem was that I was trying to sling something that was currently being recorded. Aparently that's not legal.

If you're going to go wireless, don't even bother with anything that only does G. It's Wireless N all the way if you want to be guaranteed enough bandwidth to stream HD video. There are wireless N bridges and game adapters that work just fine for this application.

As for when we are getting the Sling Extenders? May get some more info on Monday during the Charlie Chat, but that's highly unlikely. Nothing has been officially put out as to when we can expect it.

Has anyone confirmed USB Hub capability?

Support for USB Wi-Fi on other models would seem to be limited to one Netgear model. A Wi-Fi gaming adapter may make more sense as the DISH equipment doesn't need to explicitly support it.

Creating a shopping list without considering interoperability is not something one should engage in.