When Dish Network rearranged Sirius...

TandAfiend

Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
Eden, NC
...I lost my favorite channel, I think it was 6073, a Swing/Big Bands channel. Now I am left with the Standards Channel on 6075, which is woefully inferior. I might like 1 song in 10. Or I can drop back to the old CD channels to 974, but it too is nothing like Sirius 6073. Whoever programmed the music list had an ear just like mine! I suppose we will never get the Swing Channel back, will we? -robert- :( rlwillis@nuvox.net

It was Sirius that made the change not dish..The e*music channels are exactly the same as subscribers to sirius get

my mom liked the Swing channel too...I guess there just wasnt enough demand for it. I wish there was a celtic music channel!

I feel the same way about "Standard Time". Swing and Standard Time were merged by Sirius into a channel that neither Swing listeners not Standards listeners now like!

See ya
Tony

Sirius no longer has a Big Band Radio channel, but Dish still has one available, it is somewhere in the 900s in the Audio CD radio station group.

personaly i wish dish would drop the cd music channels, and just keep the sirus stuff, similar to what d* did with XM, humm could maybe free up a lil bandwith for some hd?

Im sure someone will post the numbers, but you would need to a LOT of audio channels to equal the bandwidth needed for an HD channel.

Myself, I wish they would just drop all the music channels and Sirrus all they do is take up bandwith that actual tv programs could use anyway. How many people actually listen to this stuff anyway, dont u have cd's and stereo's! Didn't mean to step on any toes, but come on be realistic!

We listen to the music channels especially the 50s, 60s, and 70s channels on both services on Dish. I hope they keep them all. I never saw so many postings of people who want to knock off channels they don't like or use despite the fact that others like them. I hope both Dish and DTV contuinue to place channels on their system that appeal to smaller numbers of customers even though some of us may have no interest in them. I think that is one reason why the small dish services are so popular.

I would drop dish network today if it weren't for the music radio channels.

I wish they would drop all of the sports networks. That is like so many repeats!

Drone35 said:
Myself, I wish they would just drop all the music channels and Sirrus all they do is take up bandwith that actual tv programs could use anyway. How many people actually listen to this stuff anyway, dont u have cd's and stereo's! Didn't mean to step on any toes, but come on be realistic!

Totally disagree. I love Sirius and I listen to it daily on DISH.

I listen to the Muzak channels more than the Sirius channels because of the constant interruptions on Sirius. When I tune to a music channel I never want to hear a DJ. Not even for a little while. Not event to tell me the titles of the songs. I do not like the interruptions one bit! If the Sirius channels would not interrupt their music every other song like they do now, I would actually consider subscribing to the service. As it stands now, I will never subscribe to Sirius or XM. I get enough of DJs on regular radio.

As to the bandwidth, it's about 6-8 CD/Sirius or 14-18 mono-compressed audio channel per 1 standard video channel. It's about 4 regular video channels per 1 HD channel.

Also keep in mind that many of the audio channels are like ice cream. Even when you are full, you have room for ice cream. It fills in the voids the big food doesn't get to :) In many cases audio channels "top off" the transponders where there really isn't room for another video channel.

See ya
Tony

Drone35 said:

I listen to the dance/electronica channels often. They often play newly released music that either isnt on CD yet, or DJ mixes that arent available.
Not everything on Sirius is old music you can buy.

I haven't bought a cd since I got sirius a year and a half ago!

no need to with all those channels.

Just a quick throught.

It is too bad that E* does not offer the CD chanels to the people who only get the 60 channel package. It would not cost them any more. It would be something that they could use to promote the basic package. Thanks.................

Drone35 said:
Actually I use the Sirious channels more than the HD channels. Kind of strange but I run my 811 throught my audio receiver. Many hours of different themes with out changing disks. Perfect for those backyard parties- Classic Vinyl rocks :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)