Where am I on Learning Curve?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I've got my home built home theater PC done, with tt 3200 and DVBviewer and graphics card.

I have even gotten some C-band stations - I picked up a few off of 99 west and some of the ION group on 103 west. I haven't gotten any S-2 stations yet, like those on 105 west. Same with 4.2.2.

I have used the scan function in DVBviewer with some good results but the scan function in Transedit? I'm getting absolutely nowhere with that.

Like codecs for example - I do a search function in my XP Operating system for "codecs" - I get nothing. I wish I knew where these mystery codecs were, and what program folder they should be in. I also wish I knew where to get workable codecs for S-2, 4.2.2 and H264, and then what folder to put them in.

Then I note that the channel scan in DVBviewer doesn't sort by satellite, nor does it really name the stations- at least not with the settings now enabled.

So everyone who said that PC satellite television is a daunting process - they were right. I have no idea where I am in the learning curve. Halfway? Probably less.

I would dearly appreciate an experienced guy's view on where I am in this process, and maybe what I should be looking for next.

Thanks

I have used the scan function in DVBviewer with some good results but the scan function in Transedit? I'm getting absolutely nowhere with that.
Are you not getting any results when you scan or having trouble sending the results to Dvbviewer? Can you expand on that?

Like codecs for example - I do a search function in my XP Operating system for "codecs" - I get nothing. I wish I knew where these mystery codecs were, and what program folder they should be in. I also wish I knew where to get workable codecs for S-2, 4.2.2 and H264, and then what folder to put them in.

Get a copy of Radlight filter manager, then look at the directshow filters in there. It will show you all the codecs you have on your system and will allow you to make changes to them if you desire.
To illustrate, if you have a copy of PowerDVD8 on your computer, there is a Cyberlink codec installed in a folder of the powerdvb8 program, Radlight filter manager will reveal their locations to you. You will be surprised how many you already have
All codecs will work for S-2, FFDshow, Dscaler, Elecard and probably others will work with 4:2:2. As mentioned before Powerdvb contains the cyberlink codecs, download a trial version and you will be able to use it with Dvbviewer. The new Cyberlink H264 codec will allow hardware acceleration with your ati card and should bring your cpu load to close to zero.

Then I note that the channel scan in DVBviewer doesn't sort by satellite, nor does it really name the stations- at least not with the settings now enabled.

Using Transedit then sending scan results to Dvbviewer will give you much better results, especially when you get into scanning DVB-S2 signals.

So everyone who said that PC satellite television is a daunting process - they were right. I have no idea where I am in the learning curve. Halfway? Probably less.

I've been doing this for quite a while and am still in the learning curve, it is a fun hobby. Don't get discouraged, ask questions, lots of smart people here who are willing to help.

You are in the road and on your way. I've learned that it's best to take one thing at a time and learn the concept, then go to the next.

Lets talk codecs. Codec stands for Co (code) dec (decode). They are software filters that decode the video and/or audio type that the demodulator strips away from the signal. These are mostly located within the c:\windows\system 32 folder. When you install a codec the installer places it where it needs to go, and it also "registers" the codec as a DirectShow filter so it can be used by your software. In the case of DVBViewer you can set 2 different codec "profiles". The reason we need this is that certain codecs work better with certain video types. Most all codecs will decode 4:2:0 SD and most will decode HD if the computer has enough horsepower. But there are only certain codecs that will decode 4:2:2 HD and SD, and even fewer will decode h.264 (mpeg4). A set top box has the codecs built into an IC chip, and because of that will only decode what the manufacturer desires. A PC is much more versatile, as usually all that is required to view another video type is add a codec.

I use the Sonic Cinemaster codec to decode most 4:2:0 video, and I have this set up as profile "Video B". For 4:2:2 I sometimes switch between Bitcontrol, Elecard, and FFDShow, and it is set up in profile "Video A". BitControl and Elecard does well with 4:2:2 HD while FFDShow does well with 4:2:2 SD. Etymonix Softreel does quite well with 4:2:2 also. For h.264 I use CoreAVC. I can also use the DivX h.264 codec, and it's free. The h.264 codecs aren't as refined as the MPEG2 codecs, but they're getting there.

You can set the profiles up within DVBViewer by right clicking in the picture to bring up the context menu, then selecting options...DirectX. There are seperate tabs for setting up video and audio, and within each profile you can choose an MPEG2 decoder, h.264 decoder, and video renderer. To switch profiles right click to context menu and eiher check (select) or uncheck (deselect)"Video Output B".

It's advantageous to try many different codecs, as what works well with my TV and computer may not work as well with your system. There are a few free codecs that work OK, but it's my experience that the better codecs will cost a little money, usually in the $10-20 range.

First of all, a hearty thanks to you guys, I am clearly in the wilderness.

For example, I'm looking right now at the transedit screen. I enter the name of the satellite and its position. after I ADD it, it keeps the name and enters it as 0.0 degrees west

Then there is the diseqc entry- 7 unfamiliar choices.

As well LOF1, LOF2 and LOF SW

Also, I did dowload a whole bunch of free codecs, inc ffdshow, so far it's made no difference - neithe s2 nor 4.22 off of 105 w

thanks again

If I had the slightest notion of what a Render is,where it is, or how to try one, I'd do so.

I grabbed the trial version of Softreel, not that I really know how to get it into DVBviewer, but I do have it.

As well,I have all these other codecs and have no idea how to apply them. When I scan in DVBviewer, there is no codec selection in any menu I've looked at. In Transedit, I've never been able to successfully scan any channel. I assume you pick the codec you want from a list. If so, where is the list?

Lone Cloud said:
If so, where is the list?
You can set the profiles up within DVBViewer by right clicking in the picture to bring up the context menu, then selecting options...DirectX. There are seperate tabs for setting up video and audio, and within each profile you can choose an MPEG2 decoder, h.264 decoder, and video renderer. To switch profiles right click to context menu and eiher check (select) or uncheck (deselect)"Video Output B".

I told you in my post above.....

For example, I'm looking right now at the transedit screen. I enter the name of the satellite and its position. after I ADD it, it keeps the name and enters it as 0.0 degrees west
What version of Transedit are you using?

Then there is the diseqc entry- 7 unfamiliar choices.
Pos A/Opt A = DiSEqC 1
Pos A/Opt B = DiSEqC 2
Pos B/Opt A = DiSEqC 3
Pos B/Opt B = DiSEqC 4
As well LOF1, LOF2 and LOF SW

LOF stands for Local Oscillator Frequency and SW stands for Switch Frequency. The menu is like this mainly to be able to control universal LNBF's. Universal LNBF's have 2 different local oscillators that are turned on and off by a 22khz signal from the receiver. The normal LOF's for a universal LNBF is LOF1 = 9750 and LOF2=10600, with a SW of 11700. This means that if the desired frequency is less than 11700 Mhz then the 22khz signal is turned off and the 9750 LO is selected, and if the desired frequency is greater than 11700 then the 22khz signal is turned on and the 10600 LO is selected.

I guess you did tell me ACradio! I just got confused in the jargon of it.

So it looks like I have to have the channel scanned in before I choose the codec? That may be the problem with the s2 NBCs on105. I don't scan them in at all so I can't try different codecs.
My DVBviewer version is the one for 20 bucks.

You also wrote

" LOF stands for Local Oscillator Frequency and SW stands for Switch Frequency. The menu is like this mainly to be able to control universal LNBF's. Universal LNBF's have 2 different local oscillators that are turned on and off by a 22khz signal from the receiver. The normal LOF's for a universal LNBF is LOF1 = 9750 and LOF2=10600, with a SW of 11700. This means that if the desired frequency is less than 11700 Mhz then the 22khz signal is turned off and the 9750 LO is selected, and if the desired frequency is greater than 11700 then the 22khz signal is turned on and the 10600 LO is selected."

Those look like Ku settings. Are there different settings for C-Band? By the way, the 621-2 lnbf I'm using is switched via disecq and not 22khz. Position 1 for C and 2 for Ku universal.

[/B][/I]Those look like Ku settings. Are there different settings for C-Band? By the way, the 621-2 lnbf I'm using is switched via disecq and not 22khz. Position 1 for C and 2 for Ku universal.

Well, in the case of a 621-2 then you will need 2 seperate satellite positions...1 for C and 1 for KU. The KU setting will be exactly like I described above with a DiSEqC setting of Pos A/Opt B (DiSEqC 2). The C band setting can be LOF1 = 5150 LOF2 = 5150 SW = 0 with a DiSEqC setting of Pos A/Opt A (DiSEqC 1). 22 Khz is used to switch the LO of the KU portion of the LNBF since the 621-2 is a universal.

You don't need anything scanned in to be able to set up the codecs in DVBViewer. Just start the program then right click in the black area where the picture normally is to bring up the context menu, then follow the instructions above.

One of the Guys was kind enough to send me his transponder list via email, along with some instructions.

I was able to scan a few channels on 99w C into Transedit. but a look at the DirectX menu reveals that the codecs I've been grabbing mostly aren't in there

So I carry on with incremental progress.

Well I grabbed the trial version of Coreavc, even though I have an ATI card and not Nvidea.

As well, I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded a November 2008 version of DirectX. I'll get it into my system and then I hope the codecs will all appear in the DirectX menu selector of DVBViewer

Well I continue with trouble getting my home built PC to work with Technotrend 3200, ATI cards and XP Pro (64 bit ) operating system. I have received not one S-2 or 4.2.2. transmission. My menu selector continues to show very limited choices for codecs in my DVBviewer.

I am wondering if my choice of a 64 bit operating system is the underlying problem. There are hardware and software components that are incompatible with it. for example, it is virtually impossible to find a wireless PC card that will work with a 64 bit operating system.

I do wonder whether my problems with Transedit. TSreader Lite and DVB viewer all stem from my choice of OS.

I don't know the answer to those questions, and I don't have any real strrategy of what to try next.

Lonecloud, if you are having trouble with the OS it might be better to go with another. Do you have XP 32 bit? If you do I would give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Lonecloud, if you are having trouble with the OS it might be better to go with another. Do you have XP 32 bit? If you do I would give it a try. What do you have to lose?

I second this. :) XP Pro 64bit was orphaned pretty quickly by Microsoft. Driver support is almost non-existent for most cards since 64bit drivers are not compatible between XP 64 and Vista 64. Even NVidia has never released a production XP 64bit driver for their own NForce 3 chipset. Still beta from 2004!

I would recommend installing the 32bit version and trying to sell the 64bit license.

I keep trying with this XP 64 bit os and have made some limited progress.
running dvbviewer and Transedit directly off the internet has helped. Before I figured out how to get my dsl line to work with it, I was dowloading dvbviewer and transedit into another computer and then transferring it with a usb pen drive. This apparently was not the best way of getting the programs loaded.

I have since been able to get scanned stations into dvbviewer, sent from transedit. I've even scanned s-2 stations, I think, but I haven"t actually been able to watch any yet

My problem may still be how to get the codecs into the "options, DirectX" selection menu. Right now I have 2 in there, even though I have downloaded a lot more than that.

Can anyone tell me a step by step method of getting the codecs into the selection menu? It isn't happening for me autmatically.

thanks all

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)