Where can I get a Pole to mount a dish?

volkodav said:
there is nothing wrong with wood posts ( job security for techs :devil: )

pressure treated is guaranteed 20+ years, where is the job security?

get quality posts , they dont warp.

Last edited:
volkodav said:
there is nothing wrong with wood posts ( job security for techs :devil: )

Now thats what I call customer service, NOT, please post your info so I can make sure you never do any installs for me or people I refer. LOL!

If you ever get anything defective from a provider, God forbid a tire shop leaves off a few lug nuts so you and your family end up in a ditch, because I hope you post it here to tell us about it; we will just remind you don't worry about it, its just their job security. OUCH!

i was just being sarcastic. it doesn't matter i used poles and posts if you do it right there should not be any problems. i like post better do to more forgiveness on mistakes if it is not leveled then you can compensate with mast when you are mounting it. poles need more time to settle and have to be more plumed. posts do twists every one in while.

I'm glad this thread came up, because I'm planning on installing a pipe myself. In looking around the home improvement stores, I've noticed various types of pipe. Fence post looked tempting, but awfully thin-walled. I've also seen iron pipe, but will that rust over time? What the heck should I use, and what diameter can be considered "standard" (say, for example, if I want to mount a STAB HH120 to it later)? This thread is up to three pages and I'm still not sure.

This time I'll post pictures..............

pestie said:
I'm glad this thread came up, because I'm planning on installing a pipe myself. In looking around the home improvement stores, I've noticed various types of pipe. Fence post looked tempting, but awfully thin-walled. I've also seen iron pipe, but will that rust over time? What the heck should I use, and what diameter can be considered "standard" (say, for example, if I want to mount a STAB HH120 to it later)? This thread is up to three pages and I'm still not sure.

From my avatar you can see that, I had the same problem. I solved it with composite posts, from a store up here named "Fleet & Farm". They are posts made of ground up cars, yep, they grind up cars and mix the pieces with some kind of rubber stuff. They are made in Canada, so, I think they know something about cold weather. We live in the snow belt, so I wanted to have something that wouldn't warp or twist in the coldest part of the winter. This has been it. They are from < www.xpotentialproducts.com >
I used the 8 foot posts, they are 6" X 6", and I put them in the ground almost 4 feet, for the frost around here. I dug a hole about 18" across too. I wanted no heaving and twisting. Filled it with concrete and got 'r done. I also dug trenches for PVC pipe from the post to the house for the coax. I also grounded the dish at the post and the coax as it entered the house. The red wire was not the correct color, as my electrician friend informed me. I covered the wire with green duct tape after. I am posting pictures of the whole setup. After I did this one, I had another one built for 61.5 right next to this one. This really worked great. They went through 2 winters without any twisting or bending.
Good Luck:
Lyle
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited:
Those are great, for sure, but won't really work for me. I don't so much care about the effects of cold. Where I am in Florida it never drops below freezing for more than a few hours. I can't imagine how to align a large dish mounted on a non-cylindrical pole without a huge amount of trouble (e.g. having to align it before the concrete sets). For the kind of mounting you did it seems great, though.

pestie said:
Those are great, for sure, but won't really work for me. I don't so much care about the effects of cold. Where I am in Florida it never drops below freezing for more than a few hours. I can't imagine how to align a large dish mounted on a non-cylindrical pole without a huge amount of trouble (e.g. having to align it before the concrete sets). For the kind of mounting you did it seems great, though.
Using the bubble level that's supplied, there's an up and down alignment, as well as a side to side alignment of the mast, that's supplied with the AT9, so it shouldn't be any problem.

It's not that difficult............

pestie said:

When I put the post in the cement, I used a level that put it in pretty good shape before I mounted the dish. After the cement hardened, I also used the level to put the foot of the mounting arm onto the post, marked the holes in the foot on the post, drilled the holes and screwed the foot to the post with lag screws. I used the level again to make sure the foot was straight up and down. When you put the dish on the mounting arm, make sure that it's perfectly level. The rest is history. You just use the installation directions that came with the dish. I wanted to isolate the dish from neighborhood kids, running for the bus stop, playing tag, throwing backpacks, hanging jackets, etc, on the dish, and mainly just being kids. Thats why I erected the " Satellite Shrine Planters" around the post.
Good Luck:

Lyle

Already did that................

I had the dish on the peak of my roof. Then a friend of mine who does roofing and other carpentery work, noticed that I will be replacing my roof soon. This would mean that the dish would have to be taken down and put back up in the same position. It was hell trying to hit the rafters for the mounting foot, so I thought I would put it on the ground. It's a lot easier to sight in satellites on the ground than up in the air, for me , that is. It has been great for me this way, and believe it or not, I have gotten some compliments for the neat way I have made the satellite dishes a part of the yard, and not some post sticking up, with dishes hanging from them. Yes, I have gotten some other comments on when I will be offering service with all the "dishes" on my "farm" All in all I like them, and soon I will have perenneal plantings in them to give them a more homey look.
Thanks for the responses tho:
Lyle

I like the 2" Gav from Home Depot, 2 bags of concrete and a 18" copper ground; mine's been in place for 2 years and 3 hurricanes. The flat end down is cool as well. This is not rocket science, so I didn't breakout the sliderule in front of the Wife while installing. Best to ya!

Last edited:
Parlyle said:
After I did this one, I had another one built for 61.5 right next to this one. This really worked great. They went through 2 winters without any twisting or bending.
Good Luck:
Lyle

With a little planning, you probably could have gotten both dishes on one post. I don't think it looks any less attractive than 2 poles, and for most people, its less to mow around.

There is nothing like having to drive an hour because some moron crashed into his dish with a riding lawn mower or tractor. Unfortunately, dish doesn't pay for us to do that, even though they charge the customer. 9 out of every 10 service calls I see say "remedy service interruption at NO CHARGE to customer". That's BS when dish gets paid but won't pay me. Therefore, if I can help it, the dish is going somewhere out of the reach of childeren and other morons.

chadzx11 said:
With a little planning, you probably could have gotten both dishes on one post. I don't think it looks any less attractive than 2 poles, and for most people, its less to mow around.

There is nothing like having to drive an hour because some moron crashed into his dish with a riding lawn mower or tractor. Unfortunately, dish doesn't pay for us to do that, even though they charge the customer. 9 out of every 10 service calls I see say "remedy service interruption at NO CHARGE to customer". That's BS when dish gets paid but won't pay me. Therefore, if I can help it, the dish is going somewhere out of the reach of childeren and other morons.

You are saying you get paid nothing if the customer hits his dish and needs it realigned?

hsp's generally get minimum wage if they have to do a service call within first 60 days of installation. d* guarantees a working installation whether the customer broke something or not. at least that's how they are doing it here.

no way, if it is the customers fault, they pay.

that is why i dont like poles, they get hit while mowing, kids hit them, i have had deer hit them.

i wonder how many service calls there are for people with dishes mounted on poles directly in front of a sidewalk say at an apartment complex. put a piece of chewed gum on the lnb feed horn, guess what, customer has to pay the tech for a truck roll for something stupid.

lostlife said:
i wonder how many service calls there are for people with dishes mounted on poles directly in front of a sidewalk say at an apartment complex. put a piece of chewed gum on the lnb feed horn, guess what, customer has to pay the tech for a truck roll for something stupid.

With most apartment complexes you have to mount in a non public area to try to avoid this situation.

The Tate said:
With most apartment complexes you have to mount in a non public area to try to avoid this situation.

i see them right next to sidewalks at apartment complexes here. it seems like more and more techs don't do things right. my pov is when i do installs i want it to work and look the same way as if it were my apartment or house.