Where did my sig go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure, however if it had any advertising in it then it would be removed.

Our staff is going through and removing and sigs advertising products or service.

I see the point of removing advertising, but once again (Re: my banning a few weeks ago) the link was ovbiously not verified, just deleted.
in this case I didn't advertise, my link to "Rust free dishes" was a supposedly humourous link to a place that sells dog dishes.

BTW, does this also include removal of these big fonts telling everyone to vote for bush or someone of that ilk?

Actually I am almost tempted to turn the sigs off completely.

Its hard to draw a line.

We are now offering ad space for sale now it is unfair to those paying for advertising space to have someone advertising for free in their sig and competing with them.

The we got the guys with the big fonts telling you who to vote for, and those folks who feel they must list ever piece of electronics they own, and then you got guys who feel it necessary to show the server stats in every message they post... (Hey wait thats ME)

Now frankly I dont care about people telling me who I should vote for and I don't care what kind of equipment they own, the problem I have with these posts is that they are bigger or longer then the persons entire message. Some peoples sigs you need to scroll down a half a page to get to the next message.

I would like some feedback from your guys. Where do we draw the line?

That is just like my sig. Sure it tells a lot about the HT equipment I have, but it actually takes up less space(131 bytes) than this little smiley --> :D (1,052 bytes)

So far I haven't had to pare it down, but I can see where IMAGE sigs should not be allowed. They take up way to much bandwidth as compared to text only.

I'd say that text sigs can stay, image sigs and advertising sigs gotta go.

If Scott makes the decsion to remove signatures, I will be more than happy to remove mine. The point is, people are paying for advertising because they want to advertise their product. I am not trying to sell anything. The only thing I am posting in my signature is support for our great country. When Scott asked us all to shorten our signatures, I was one of the first to comply. I even made the font on my current signature smaller.

korsjs, I respect your point of view greatly, you're a damn good poster and I'm glad you're safe from Charley, I can't vote so my view on bush/etc is immaterial however all I see when you post is your sig.
Why is it so big? That's what I don't understand.

Mark_AR said:
That is just like my sig. Sure it tells a lot about the HT equipment I have, but it actually takes up less space(131 bytes) than this little smiley --> :D (1,052 bytes)

So far I haven't had to pare it down, but I can see where IMAGE sigs should not be allowed. They take up way to much bandwidth as compared to text only.

I'd say that text sigs can stay, image sigs and advertising sigs gotta go.
actually, I think there is ONE copy of the smiley, and all that is stored are the 2 character code (colon, Capitial D).

My $.02, is that max one to 2 lines of sig, and no advertising in sigs.

FWIW.

Good debate so far. :)

This is why I love running this site you guys can discuss things without getting in fist fights. :D

You guys are the best!

I would have to say it takes up less space than most people that have signatures. Compare it to the one just above my last post. I did at one time have it larger and when Scott made a post for people to remove the listings of all their equipment, I removed my list and made the font smaller on my current one. Like I said, if Scott want me to take it down, I have no problem with it. It is his site and his rules. I will comply with what he says.

Edit - referring to the last question directed to me. Two others posted by the time I hit the submit button.

Thinking about it, as long as it's not detrimental to the site or offensive to others why should anyone be forced to change their sig?
Peoples opinions make them what and who they are and turning off their right to express their opinions or letting others know what equipment they own (So they don't have to type it over and over when answering a question about gear they own) would be like revoking their posting rights.

Cutting off the sig feature would be tantamount to restricting what and how much people post.

LER said:
actually, I think there is ONE copy of the smiley, and all that is stored are the 2 character code (colon, Capitial D).

My $.02, is that max one to 2 lines of sig, and no advertising in sigs.

FWIW.

Well I understand about the token value of the smiley(2 characters). But when it is displayed to each person that reads a post, then the total bytes transmitted will be 1052.

Scott's server stats sig takes up over 30,000 bytes. Of course, he is the master of the realm, so he can do as he pleases. It is his bandwidth bill. If only 1,000 people read one of Scotts posts, then his sig alone is responsible for 30 Megs of his own bandwidth.

Cascade said:
Cutting off the sig feature would be tantamount to restricting what and how much people post.

You can cut off the sig, what would stop people from just including it in the body of their posts??

All anyone needs to do is copy it from a text file into their message like so:
[Begin Paste]
Mark in Arkysaw
Hitachi 57S500
Harmon Kardon AVR-7200
Dish 921 & 522
Zenith DVB318
PSB Image Series 5T's, 2B's & 9C
Klipsch KSW-15 Sub

[End Paste]

-------

This is exactly why I did my sig the way I did it. All I wanted was my first name and my contact e-mail addresss. That's it. I thought about listing my equipment but that would take up too much room. Signatures should be short and sweet if you ask me. :D

Scott, maybe you could do this: Keep sigs on, but limit the space they take up or font size people can use, that way people won't get offended.

I try to adhere to the old-line usenet limit of 3 lines, total.

My SatGuys sig is short sweet, and to the point. The other stuff I usually
have in my UseNet sig is available elsewhere.

FWIW.

Mark_AR said:
You can cut off the sig, what would stop people from just including it in the body of their posts??
Many people won't take the time to do it all the time.

My vote would be for a 100 or 150 character limit plain (or formatted [bold/italics/underline) text w/o hyperlinks for font sizes other then the default test size. If people want to put a text-link in there go for it...but then people will have to copy/paste it in order to follow it. This will still let people have a little room for messages or how to get to their homepage etc, but businesses won't get the ease of being able to just click on their "free" ads. You also get rid of the huge sigs like Cascade points out.

For those who don't like the .sigs, you can turn them off in your control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts