Where do you get the azimuth, skew and elevation

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On my new HWS I checked the point screen but there is no place to enter a zip code and get the azimuth, slew and elevation. Where do I get this information, on the VIP722 it was on the point dish screen?

Try dishpointer.com Put in your address and which satellites you're looking for (61.5, 72.7, 77 or 110, 119, 129) in the dropdown menu under Multi LBN Setups.

Last edited:
Is there not a place on the receiver that this information is available? There is always possible that I will not have internet.

Thanks , I found the manual in the dish site. I guess they did away with that part of point dish on the receiver, it was convenient.

Why would they do away with it. It was very useful for rv'ers. There seems to be a lot of useful features from the VIPs that Dish has done away with.

It is probably an issue with complexity. DPP500, DPP1000, EA, WA (all different settings). That is a lot of programming and user interface for a relatively small group compared to the entire Dish base.

I copied the manual tables into a spreadsheet which allowed me to setup a zipcode lookup. I also recorded actual Azimuths, and Elevations after I completed aiming the dish for a while which gave me an idea of the magnetic deviation for the dish in the zipcode area. This helped in aiming the dish. This is something you can't get from dishpointer.com as Deviationis relative to the device and the location and cannot be calculated.

Just because you don't like it ? Dish is running a business and making a profit is their primary goal. Spending money on resources that have too little value - to Dish - won't make the cut.

So few people used it ?

It takes money to continue engineering new equipment with those features. A call has to be made whether or not those features are worth building into new receivers. If an engineering firm bills Dish Network 1/2 million dollars for each feature and each rcvr costs $15 to hard wire a chip to execute that feature, just do the math. It wouldn't be worth the investment. If you have the knowledge on how to install a HWS, then surely you know which way to point a dish.

When Dish first came out, you had to buy and install your equipment by yourself. There was no such thing as installers. That's why that information was part of the set up. I bet, that since 99% of all installes are done nby tech's, they felt they no longer needed that option. Also, back then there was only 1 sat to focus in on not 2 or 3.

That's a good point about multiple satellites. How would they display it with the myriad combination of satellites a customer can point at.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It takes money to continue engineering new equipment with those features. A call has to be made whether or not those features are worth building into new receivers. If an engineering firm bills Dish Network 1/2 million dollars for each feature and each rcvr costs $15 to hard wire a chip to execute that feature, just do the math. It wouldn't be worth the investment. If you have the knowledge on how to install a HWS, then surely you know which way to point a dish.

You're using logic to explain this. That doesn't work for people who are emotional about an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)