Where is the Bird?

chef-Patrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hi guys,

I am a Voom sub and as you all know I will be in the dark at the end of the month and I am considering my options.

Few questions for you all:

Where is the satellite, I am in Southern NH and I live in tree covered area so I have limited visibility.

How's the HD quality and overall picture quality?

Thanks
Patrick

Hiya chef,

I've been pretty happy with the HD pic quality from *E (wish there were more HD channels though). My dish is pointed at the *E 110 & 119 birds (I live in southwestern PA). Also the SD in my opinion is better than what I had with cable.

My problem with *E is more on the hardware end. My I've had problems with my 811 (HD) receiver, and my 522 (DVR), but quick calls to tech support have always had a positive result.

Brian

That's a good question, I didn't install the system so I wouldn't know. My brother does installs for Dish and he will be here installing a OTA antenna for HD locals. I will ask him and post the answer as soon as I have it.

chef-Patrick said:
Is that 110 and 119 based on North being at zero or some other positioning scheme?
Unh. What? Maybe you want a quick definition of terms?

110, 119, 61.5, 148, 105, 121 all refer to the (west) longitude of the satellites, which are 22,000+ miles above the equator.

Pointing is done by azimuth/elevation which is determined by your location and the location of the bird you want. Always determined via some kind of aiming program.

Azimuth is the "compass" direction to aim at, elevation is the angle above the horizon.

For dual-bird LNBFs, there's also a skew number that compensates for the difference in elevation between the two birds in the pair.

Feel free to use the dish pointing menu to get some numbers to chew on to help the visualization. Most especially, check 110 & 119 with the Dish500 on AND off - the results will be different and may help you visualize how things work.

SimpleSimon said:
Feel free to use the dish pointing menu to get some numbers to chew on to help the visualization. Most especially, check 110 & 119 with the Dish500 on AND off - the results will be different and may help you visualize how things work.
Simon, maybe you (or someone else) could point Voom people to a site with an aiming application so they might get an idea on an appoximate direction? I know Dish provided a program once upon a time, but that was before Dish 500 and SuperDish.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/america.html has a graphic showing where the satellites are over the equator. 119 is sort of in line with Los Angeles and 110 is around Pheonix area of the equator. So, if you are on the east coast they will be in the southwest, and if you are on the west coast they will be south and southeast.

On Dish website, I found a program that gives you the azimuth for your zip code. Unfortunately, the line of sight is right in the thickest part of my tree coverage...

Looks like it's back to cable for me

Ilive in NH with a S**t load of trees around. I have great signal!
the installer came out to put in a superdish and said "no way will you get the 121 bird"
I told him install it and we'll see. 90 strength on the 121 bird!
he also looked at my 61.5 dish I had and said "that's useless!" (because it is literally looks like it's pointing at my house!) but I showed him 80+ signal strength!
a lot of people don't realize that the signal gets reflected off the dish and then into the lnb.

I'll get to my point:
call up dish and have them come out and install a dish for you and you might be suprised!

gredneck said:
Ilive in NH with a S**t load of trees around. I have great signal!
the installer came out to put in a superdish and said "no way will you get the 121 bird"
I told him install it and we'll see. 90 strength on the 121 bird!
he also looked at my 61.5 dish I had and said "that's useless!" (because it is literally looks like it's pointing at my house!) but I showed him 80+ signal strength!
a lot of people don't realize that the signal gets reflected off the dish and then into the lnb.

I'll get to my point:
call up dish and have them come out and install a dish for you and you might be suprised!

That's interesting, I'll need to think about it since we're planning on selling this place. By the way, what's on the 61.5? That's where the Voom bird is also

chef-Patrick said:
That's interesting, I'll need to think about it since we're planning on selling this place. By the way, what's on the 61.5? That's where the Voom bird is also

I believe cbshd and a few public service channels and international channels are on it.

SimpleSimon said:
Gredneck: That wasn't an Installer, he was a worthless hack, probably a DNSC employee.

correct you are!

I use to install dish network when it was point at one satellite.
and I'll tell you, I was amazed at the places I could receive a signal.

I mounted a 105 superdish yesterday which looked as though it pointed directly at a tree and a chimney.

See, as an installer I found out it was much easier to find a line of sight range. Azimuth for 105 to 121, (for my area about 255 to 240) from the lowest elevation needed (24 degrees with some padding). That way I know I can hit every sat from one dish location, and have room for error if it's just a Dish 500. Also will allow for a little tree growth.

I try to find the best spot that way, if things get tight then I look for specifics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)