Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
It was reported in the November 2005 Tech Chat that E* was beta testing external hard drive solutions for the 942. Well, here it is almost a year later and I was just wondering when hell may actually freeze over and E* start supporting USB 2.0 hard drives, as promised? I believe this was also mentioned by Charlie is his December 2005 Charlie Chat.

I don't think we're asking for miracles here...it's just a DVR using USB storage. Cable has been supporting external storage devices for quite sometime. This is just plain sad that E* can't support industry standard technology almost two years after the fact.:(

I get the feeling USB storage has been shelved due to it not being a source of revenue.

riffjim4069 said:
It was reported in the November 2005 Tech Chat that E* was beta testing external hard drive solutions for the 942. Well, here it is almost a year later and I was just wondering when hell may actually freeze over and E* start supporting USB 2.0 hard drives, as promised?

So they mention that they have something in the works and it becomes a "promised" feature? No wonder they hate to talk about any up coming tech. They just need to mention it, and they get slammed by people who claimed that it was promised to them. Has dish broken its promise? No they never made any promise about it in the first place.

Sorry but this happens all to often on these forums where we all crave the latest news and rumours, but over time they evolve into claims of broken promises when something doesn't pan out.

I still think this could be coming (I hope) but with all the DVR changes they are going to have to go through with their TIVO lawsuit, I would bet it is not top priority for their software engineers. A shame too, especially with all the HD I am about to be recording with the new season. I am actually thinking I might need to record some shows in SD! :0

maybe we should run out and patent this as well so that they do not use it.... Tivo should do the same since these days they can only live on royalty fees. :D

When I had an SA 8300HD with time warner they never had it turned on... so I wouldn't really call it a standard yet. Obviously some of the largest providers have not made this available. It would be nice, however...

Cyclone said:
So they mention that they have something in the works and it becomes a "promised" feature? No wonder they hate to talk about any up coming tech. They just need to mention it, and they get slammed by people who claimed that it was promised to them. Has dish broken its promise? No they never made any promise about it in the first place.

Sorry but this happens all to often on these forums where we all crave the latest news and rumours, but over time they evolve into claims of broken promises when something doesn't pan out.
You're missing a few important points:

1. The hardware is ready to support this feature...it currently supports USB devices like the PocketDish and digital cameras.

2. Cable has had this functionality (both Scientific Atlanta and Motorola) for going on two years. I can't believe E* isn't aware of what the competition is doing.

3. Yes, it has been mentioned as being an "upcoming feature" for the past year. I don't know about you, but when my waitress tell me she'll be "right back" with my order there is a reasonable expectation my meal will be served within a few minutes...it is implied. I am certainly not going to sit there for hours waiting to be served, and not complain to the manager should my waitress not return with my order.

4. One of the Tech Chats (March '06 perhaps?) mentioned they were beta testing external USB storage devices. If memory serves, E* employees mentioned USB storage as being an "upcoming feature on the 942" and "works great, currently being beta tested" and "in beta testing - currently developing a business model" or something to that effect over the past year. In fact, I recall the words "hoping for" being used when answer questions about its availability in the CC/TC: Fall 2005 --> then Spring 2006 --> then Fall 2006 --> now nothing.

This has nothing to do with rumor or conjecture. It has to do with E* telling us they were working on bringing customers USB external storage support for the 942/622. I can only conclude that someone on the business side of the house has concluded that USB Storage won't make them any money, so they've quietly dropped the issue hoping that people won't recall what they said last year. Has E* broken its promise? Absolutely...if they don't make external USB storage available...soon!

Just my opinion...

There is also a real need for it because E*'s HD DVRs do not have adequate storage capacity. A problem that E* compounds by reserving a good chunk of the disc to enable them to store SD PPV movies.

Enabling external storage devices is a key feature needed to make these boxes more usable now and to extend their usable lifespan.

Tom Bombadil said:
There is also a real need for it because E*'s HD DVRs do not have adequate storage capacity. A problem that E* compounds by reserving a good chunk of the disc to enable them to store SD PPV movies.

Enabling external storage devices is a key feature needed to make these boxes more usable now and to extend their usable lifespan.

Yes! Bring it on!:hungry:

--Doug

I agree this feature/functionality is LOOONG overdue. It has been part of the open discussion of 'to-be-enabled' features on the E* HD DVRs the past 1-1/2 years...time to "walk the walk"!

Its long-ago been demoed at trade shows on current hardware and, as pointed out above, its a sister-feature to the long-standing functionality of transferring media to the PocketDish players. BRING IT!

I agree 100% that we need more space and the external HD support would help tremendously.

I went from a 522 to a 622 recently, and of course the 622 has a much bigger hard drive. However my actual recording space went from 100 hours to 30 hours, since most of what I am recording is available in HD.

We need the external HD support to ensure that the boxes are fully useful!

Tom Bombadil said:
Scott's CEDIA report says that they are demo'ing this feature, again!

They are teasing us.

They just need a few negative articles about how long they've been demoing beta functionality cable has had for 2 years and they'll probably push it out sooner.

Hey they demoed the 921 at 2 or 3 CES's before it was actually made available. :D

I do wish they would hurry though there are a few things I would like to save on my hard drive that my wife keeps threatening to delete soon.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hey they demoed the 921 at 2 or 3 CES's before it was actually made available. :D

I do wish they would hurry though there are a few things I would like to save on my hard drive that my wife keeps threatening to delete soon.

I guess we should be thankful that they are testing it :) but I'm sure some people would be willing guinie pigs for this feature.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts