This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Which Broadcom SoC?

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Does anyone have a list of the SoC systems that Dish uses in the ViP series receivers? My 722 is a little low on horsepower, and before I replace it with either a 612 (lateral move in my case) or pony up for a 722k+OTA (upgrade for me), I'd like to know that I'm actually stepping up.

I have a few timers that make the guide and timer functions sluggish, and if I try to create or delete timers while all three tuners are busy, the system just reboots. Also of note, my 722 hates SD recordings; the seek and skip functions just don't work as advertised. My hope is that a newer, faster chip keeps the system more stable, too.

Looks like the 612 and TiVo HD are based on the BCM7401 which may or may not be "one better" than the 722k. The clear difference between the 7400 and 7038 is a 50 MHz bump in CPU core speed, but the rest is mostly jibberish to me.

Last edited:

You have problems that may not be with Chipset. You have a bad 722. I presume you reboot, as that usually fixes rare problems such as yours, and I say this as an owner of THREE 722's that are in heavy use and demand with all three tuners in use while transferring to external HDD and playback of DVR event all at the same time, and NO HICCUPS or sluggishness. Your 722 is are not behaving as it should. I agree that the 722K is more "instant" in command with more recent chip.

Well, this is my second 722. The first one was far worse than this, so I just accepted this one as an upgrade and moved on.