This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Which channels will go on the new sat/do they care about Quebec?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I am sure that it is no shock that every person in Quebec I spoke with this summer who had Shaw, told me that they only had Shaw because Shaw can be received in Florida, where many Quebecers spend their summers. It really seems that for every 4 Bell dishes you see, there is one Shaw.

Also, there are many more French HD channels on Bell, such as TV5, Addik TV, Evasion, Historia and Tele Quebec. Other than being able to use the service while vacationing in the states, I see no advantage to having Shaw if you are Francophone.

Since the new satellite will only cover Canada, as well as few bordering states, if they were to put the French HD on the new satellite, would it really get them any more subscribers in Quebec when so many already have Bell?

It seems that, if they were to move some of the channels that they are required to carry to the new satellite and put all of the French channels on the current satellites, they could change the situation and make themselves the #1 provider for Quebec.

It would be easy to have one of each network , one from each time zone, on the current satellites, move the others to the extended KU band, and put all the new French HD channels on the current satellites. This would make Shaw a real star choice for Quebec.

As a part-time resident of Quebec, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to question at least some of what you say, miguelaqui....

.......in Florida, where many Quebecers spend their summers.
Really?!?! I don't know many folks in Quebec who would want to spend summer in Florida........

It really seems that for every 4 Bell dishes you see, there is one Shaw.
Really?!?! I'm not sure what part of Quebec you are referring to, but where I live it's probably 5 Shaw to 1 Bell......and Bell has an office in town and a kiosk in the local mall, while Shaw has no local outlet and only one installer to cover several communities. Now I will admit that I live in a somewhat rural area and not a lot of people there go the Florida in the summer......er, I mean in the winter .....and they're old people like me who haven't yet become addicted to having HD......

.....if they were to put the French HD on the new satellite....
Do you have any reliable source of information that states they are going to do this? Much of what I have read states that Anik G1 will contain mostly local channels that are mandated by the CRTC.

....there are many more French HD channels on Bell, such as TV5, Addik TV, Evasion, Historia and Tele Quebec
I suspect these are the least-watched of the French channels and Shaw had to make a decision as to what to add to the HD lineup given the limited capacity they now have. Personally, I rarely watch any of these in the SD version. Historia used to be good when it carried things that had to do with Canadian history, but it seems that they've resorted to warmed-over American programming translated into French. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. But if it's any consolation, one of the biggest complaints of English-speaking Canadians is that the Anglophone HD lineup doesn't match up to Bell.

It would be easy to have one of each network , one from each time zone, on the current satellites, move the others to the extended KU band, and put all the new French HD channels on the current satellites
Sounds OK to me.....send an e-mail to Ask Jim....!

Yes, I messed up and put summer instead of winter. Oops. As far as to where in Quebec I was seeing all the Bell dishes..that would be Quebec City, Montreal and 2 towns in NE Quebec where the whales are. I am such a satellite dork that I took pics of the original Expressvu dishes ; the ones that were about 30 inches. On the 3 hour bus ride back to Quebec City, I counted the dishes. I was told that before Bell changed sats, the Shaw signal was better because of the 75e dish option.

Just read on Shaw's forum that the new sat launch date is April 15. They also state that the new sat will give them the ability to add up to 100 HD channels. I am afraid that some of us will never see the new HD channels