Which External HDD with 211

MR2NR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
In your Hotwheels BIN
So I'm going to start using 211s as DVRs and noticed that WD sells a AV HDD at twice the price of other HDD's. Are they really any better? Can you use a SSD? Does USB 3-4.0 cause any problems? Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

No, the "DVR" EHDS are only more expensive than the regulars. Just get a self powered drive as opposed to a USB powered. And as always, USB version is always backward compatible.

Last edited:
No, the "DVR" EHDS are only more expensive than the regulars. Just get a self powered drive as opposed to a USB powered. And as always, USB version is always backward compatible.
KAB, I am not saying I do not beleive you. TRust me, I do. All I am going to say is when I had to TS those, a lot of the time we had troubles with the 3.0's. This was quite some time ago, now, so things may be different, but Officially, Dish supports USB 2.0. Single Disc drive, 50GB-2TB, Self Powered. Just making sure the official declaration is out there.
COMPATIBLE HARD DRIVES
While most major manufacturers' external hard drives are compatible, keep in mind the following guidelines when purchasing an external hard drive:

• When using an external hard drive with a ViP 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922, or Hopper, the drive should be no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
  • When using an external hard drive with a ViP 211, 211k, 211z or DISH 411, the drive should be no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
  • The external hard drive must have its own power supply
  • The external hard drive must support USB 2.0
  • The external hard drive must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive
http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/expand-dvr-storage#drives

Has anybody used any SSD (Solid State Drives) with any success?

I have. It was even bus powered and it worked fine while testing. No telling what would happen long term, though. Using an SSD is ridiculous overkill on speed and price, so I didn't leave it attached.

Reactions: KAB and navychop
I have. It was even bus powered and it worked fine while testing. No telling what would happen long term, though. Using an SSD is ridiculous overkill on speed and price, so I didn't leave it attached.
Def think there is nothing to be gained by using a SSD, especially if you plan to do a lot of writes. The SSD will be no faster, and the life may very well be shorter.

Reactions: TheKrell
Def think there is nothing to be gained by using a SSD, especially if you plan to do a lot of writes. The SSD will be no faster, and the life may very well be shorter.

Hmmm I thought that was the sole benefit using a SSD.Less moving parts = more reliable. I know the speed would be throttled so there is no gain there.

SSDs only have so many read-write cycles. They've gotten better, but a HDD will likely outlast them.

SSDs are faster, and as the repository of a PC OS, that is nice. Nice as a data drive, but again, for how long? The speed of the receiver, and not just USB 2, will negate most if not all the speed advantage.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)