Which HDTV Receiver to buy?

chiquito3

Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
I'm planning to buy an HDTV receiver from Dish and can't decide between the 6000 or the 811 (unfortunataly the 921 is out of my budget).
What are the pros and cons of the 6000 and the 811.

I read that the 811 has some bugs and that the 6000 makes a lot of noise.

All advices ar welcome.

The 811 does not have any more bugs than the 6000. The 811 has more features than the 6000. I would go with the 811. Is the 6000 even available anymore.

I have 2 811's and a 6000. Both my 811's lock up regularly requiring me to unplug and plug them back in while my aging 6000, while not as "pretty" never gives me any problems.

I've had a 6000 for at least three years and never had any problems with it. The HD reception for satellite is great - locals iffy but that is more local stations fault.
I've had an 811 for about four months. Had only a few of the many problems you'll find mentioned on this site. It does freeze ocassionally and have to unplug it to reset. Seems to happen when we're switching stations rapidly, especially from local HD to sat (wife likes to channel surf). HD quality appears better, locals still hit and miss. 811 does have the DVI connection which all new HD TV's have. Program guide on 811 is great improvement, but only goes out a day or so.

If you can find a good used 6000 that would be the way to go. Its a rock solid receiver with very stable software. If you can afford it, the 921 is a step up, a few software issues but overall a good machine.

The 811 is a piece of crap due to software issues, however you should call Dish and see if they have any specials where you can get one for $50 :)

BTW, Dishstore.net has 921's for $950

Claude Greiner

NFL on Dishnetwork

Place to buy old 6000 UHF remote?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)