Which Network Will Dish Network Carry First, Al Jazeera English or BBC World News?

Personally I don't think they'll ever carry BBC World News. They and Directv have had several years now that they could have carried it. So far, neither one has it. I have no idea why. It should be a no-brainer. Verizon FIOS got it on shortly after they lauched. All the cable and satellite services in Canada have it as well as almost after cable and satellite services around the world.
Do anyone know why E* and D* don't carry it?

BBC World was made available for North American distribution only in the last few years, not several, and allowed first in Canada only, then later the U.S. BBC World was launched, orginally, as the BBC's commercial service for viewing in Africa and Southeast Asia. During this time BBC America carried a few of BBC World's newscasts during the day and this created some interest in BBC World for North American licensing.

BBC America is distributed in the U.S. by Discovery Networks as is BBC World. BBC World was made available to U.S. distribution far too recently for Dish or Direct because Discovery won't have leverage for Dish or Direct to carry BBC World until the contracts for other Discovery Networks expire. FiOS carries BBC World because they had NO CHOICE. When Verizon signed for the Discovery channels BBC World had just been cleared for U.S. and if FiOS wanted all the other Discovery Networks, well they had to take BBC World. So, there is a very good possibility we may indeed see BBC World on Dish or Direct when the contracts expire and Discovery Networks make renewal contingent on carrying BBC World.

BTW, BBC World has been re-branded an is now officially named BBC World News even though many other programs are aired on the service besides the newscasts.

You do know Dish already carries the Arabic version (channel 645) of this channel right?
"24-hours-a-day and exclusively on DISH Network, Al Jazeera is the top Arabic news channel in the Middle East that offers news from around the world. Al Jazeera has a wide selection of documentaries and uncensored political talk shows."

I do know that.

But do you see the huge difference in controversy between airing the two, or are you being obtuse on purpose?

I had understood that several PBS stations had purchased the rights to show BBC World news and that is why BBC-America created BBC World News America. I am not positive of this though. It was a rumor I heard at a local PBS. I do however know that PBS stations who purchase BBC programming pay a fortune for it. I have seen the local PBS's invoice for Vicar of Dibley and although I don't remember the price, it was an OMG moment.

In other words, I am not certian that the BBC hasn't already sold the rights to World News in the US to various PBS stations and is making a lot of money from it.

The one (or two) BBC World Newscasts plus BBC Wold News This Week, are all "produced" provided by KCET, Los Angeles for airing by local PBS stations as part of the "Extended" programming service--meaning NOT a PBS (National Programming Service) offering. This in no way limits BBC World, as KCET does not have (nor the previous provider, a different local station, and never had) exclusive rights. BBC World, specifically Discovery Networks retain all rights in the U.S. regardless of KCET's limited distribution rights for public TV.

As for your insights about the Vicar and other British programming, much of it, the Vicar included (Keeping Up Appearances, et, al.), is also "Extended" programming--meaning NOT offered by PBS, but by 3rd parties, and they are free to charge what they want and local stations are fee to pay what they want. Such programs are SEPARATE and beyond the cost of airing the PBS National Service Programming which includes the rights to all PBS offered programming included in the local stations annual dues payment.

I have no doubt the Vicar was pricey, as these BBC shows are highly popular with the local PBS audience. The stations feel that they come out ahead during the fundraisers even though a show like the Vicar costs big $$$. BTW, BBC makes more money offering it to stations outside the PBS national service (contracts station by station), that is why PBS offers fewer of the BBC's programs than it used to.

I should add that these 3rd parties use the PBS TV satellite distribution service to deliver the programming to the local stations, and YES, the 3rd parties pay PBS to do so.

It may interest you to know that during the 80's, A Prairie Home Companion was by far the most expensive public radio show for purchase. Well, Garrison Keillor made a ton of $$$ for the local stations, but as time passed and the price for the right to air the show increased, some stations actually dropped this perennial favorite because after the fundraisers, stations actually lost money, and they didn't like Minnesota Public Radio's heavy-handed tactics. APHC was never an NPR offering, but rather an "extended" program service offering that made Minnesota Public Radio a power in public radio and that begot American Public Radio that begot . . ..

One way for people to know if a program is part of the PBS National Services is if, at the end of the show, the PBS bumper/outtro "This is (or I am) PBS video logo plays. If it doesn't, then that show was quite likely offered by an "independent" producer.

Extended programming is actually encouraged and was always a part of the PBS and NPR plans to allow stations access to "independent" producers programming and vice-versa, in the belief that it fosters diversity and an audience for programming that just doesn't fit the PBS National Service programming. Some of the best and, certainly, controversial programs do come from the 3rd parties. Although, now, it seems just a big money maker for BBC and others.

Last edited:
I think BBC World News would come before Al Jazeera English, if either EVER comes. BBC World News would be negotiated by Discovery Communications, so I would hope Dish could get BBC World News and Fit TV together in the next round of negotiations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)