Which Receiver? Why? and who would you buy it from?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Sadoun, Hypermegasat, maybe some others on ebay. The Sathawk 800, Solomend 800, and Opensat s9 are pretty much the same box. Same firmware . The ports that are actually on the back of the box differ, as the production changes.
:)

Sathawk 800

Solomend 800

Opensat S9

Just like the title says, Which of the receivers mentioned by Brent would you buy? Why would you buy that receiver? Who would you buy it from?

I am sure that some of you have bought one of the boxes above. Can you tell me the actual differences, and would you prefer one over the other.

Finally, does it make a difference who we buy from on these receivers?

Thanks!

I believe that they are functionally the same, pretty much identical boxes. Mine says "Solomend -HD PVR 800" on the front.

Mine has a Scart connector on the back , there was talk that some of the newer versions wouldn't have the SCART connector, nor the ethernet port ( only used for hacking, using keysharing, legal in Europe, by the way ). They use the same firmware.

I'd buy from Sadoun because he is always supporting this hobby. I really like the idea of keeping these "brick and mortar" stores in business. He is willing to check out various things on the side, that might be handy in the future. I'm pretty loyal to Sadoun and his folks when they have a competitive product, and this is a good one.
[edit] The only real problem that I have with this box is the lack of ability to identify whether or not a channel is DVB-S or DVB-S2. The receiver treats them all the same, there is no FEC info, no modulation info, and no manual PID entry ( although THAT can be done thru the channel editor, for CW on 91W, at the least ). It's not a good receiver if you want to play detective, but I like it's simple interface, fast blindscan, and good video. I also wish that all ports were available at all times, but this is not the fact. If you select 1080i resolution, you really cannot expect anything from the composite video port. Also wish it had an rf output, but it doesn't. In many ways, it's not up to the Azbox standard, but it's less expensive, and much easier to work with. [/edit] I'm considering buying another from Sadoun.
:)

Last edited:
Like Brent! I bought my solomend from Sadoun!It was part of a complete motorized KU package.I have bought other stuff from him including my 6 foot c-band dish.For me he has been fast and reliable plus helpfull.I have also bought from some of the gold sponcers above and hypermagasat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)