Which satellite to choose?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I finally got a dish up. It's an old DirecPC, the bigger one. It is fixed and a real pain to get to it to aim.

So, if you had one Ku satellite to point to and see something worthwhile now and then, which one would you recommend?

Please, no extensive recommendations on adding LNBs, etc. I just want some suggestions on which bird to point to for now.

Thanks.

97 West has the lions share of TV and radio channels. A majority of them are ethnic, but there are English speaking TV channels like Russia Today, Press TV, Al Jazeera, CMRI TV, TBN and others. I have a DirecPC Dish too, set to 97 West at my other location.

3 choices, in reverse order:

30°w: I can't see it, but from Texas you probably can.
I understand they often run new movies in English, but with Spanish subtitles.
Otherwise, I guess it's mostly Cuban programming. :(
... but you did say, "now and then".

125°w: If you can't get PBS off the air, this could fill a lot of voids.
You'll need an AC3 decoder (search: Sonic Voom) or a connection to your hi-fi equipment to get sound
... or an HD receiver - that'll get you the sound and some nice pictures. :)

97°w: most channels,
widest assortment of programming,
great to show any friends, regardless of their heritage
Has to be my first choice, too. :rolleyes:

97w Kuwait2 in particular. shows a lot of good British/Australian/American shows and movies with no commercials. After awhile you don't even notice the arabic subtitles

I'd say....

83W for RTN
Or
125W for PBS (Montana PBS doesn't require a dolby decoder.)
Or
97W for Russia today, MHz, GCN radio and Access America.

I put my vote in for 97w. In addition to several all-English stations, a number of other stations have occasional English or English crawlers. Plus, the new camel racing season is on (Al Kass, generally Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday evenings at about 11 pm Eastern). The other station that shows camel racing, Abu Dhabi Sports, has unfortunately been on test pattern for a few months now.

I put my vote in for 97w. In addition to several all-English stations, a number of other stations have occasional English or English crawlers. Plus, the new camel racing season is on (Al Kass, generally Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday evenings at about 11 pm Eastern). The other station that shows camel racing, Abu Dhabi Sports, has unfortunately been on test pattern for a few months now.
LOL "camel racing season" LOL

should be able to. Folks can usually go 6 degrees offset before you have major signal issues

I've done 89/93/97/103 on a 36" dish a while back

Attachments

• 000_0420.jpg
    000_0420.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 101
Just got to thinking that might be a good combination of sats for a fixed dish setup. If the quality is decent.

We are having heavy thunder storms at the moment and it is the first time I have lost a signal :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts