Which Satellites do I need to aim at?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CardiffGiant11

Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
CT
Hi,
Cable user here considering dropping Cable TV and only retaining it for internet and switching to Dish with the Hopper 3 setup. Located in Central CT and would want locals and obviously HD and am wondering if the spot I would want the dish mounted has a clear enough view of the sky as I don't want it installed on my roof or siding. I downloaded a couple of iPhone apps that use augmented reality and I have a pretty clear shot of most satellites from 97.1 W and further west of which various Echostar satellites appear, just not sure which one(s) I would need.

Hard to find info about this online if you're not well versed :)

Thanks for any info.

Yep, you are on eastern arc for Hartford channels. You will need a view of 61.5 and 72.7 to get all of your channels.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it may not be a viable option for me :(. Even if I was open to it being mounted on my roof or siding (which I'm not) pretty much everywhere on my property there's rather sizable trees where those satellites are per the app I was using (taller than the house even). Figures that's about the only spot on my property that is wooded and even if I wanted to I can't take the trees down as it's protected wetlands.

CardiffGiant11, do you get good OTA antenna reception of your local broadcast channels? If so, you could use a dish pointed at Western Arc (110, 119, and 129) for the national channels, and add a USB OTA adapter to the Hopper 3 for local channels. Also, although not ideal, the satellite-delivered Hartford locals are available in standard-def at the 119 satellite location.

i unfortunately don’t get locals very well ota as far as i know (definitely not abc spotty for the others based on my last attempt a few years back). directv would work at my location but i think for now we are going to try playstation vue since directv wouldn’t be much cheaper than cox after the first year; we get our locals minus abc which we can live without live and we already have a ps3 and ps4 on two of our 3 tvs. a cheap fire stick and we will be all set. thanks for the quick responses though!

i unfortunately don’t get locals very well ota as far as i know (definitely not abc spotty for the others based on my last attempt a few years back). directv would work at my location but i think for now we are going to try playstation vue since directv wouldn’t be much cheaper than cox after the first year; we get our locals minus abc which we can live without live and we already have a ps3 and ps4 on two of our 3 tvs. a cheap fire stick and we will be all set. thanks for the quick responses though!

As a Vue user, Vue doesn’t work well with the fireTV stick. Your PS3 will also be a little laggy but I haven’t tried Vue on PS3 personally.. but it’s almost unusable with lag on the stick (2nd generation). If you can find one, it’s much better on the FireTV box.. although I’d hate to buy one now since a new one is coming out at some point. Maybe it’ll work better with the new one they just announced that’s coming out later this month. You could also use Roku but the interface stinks and there isn’t a guide when using a Roku.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts