Which setup is better . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kubilus1

Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
For about the same cost it seems you could have one satellite with a motor, or several stationary satellites. Which do you guys prefer? Are a couple stationary satellites more reliable?

:tux:

M

I prefer to use a motor since I can view all satellites visible to my location, I mainly use FTA for the feeds which are on many satellites.

If you are only going to view a few satellites like G10R for locals and Galaxy 25 for internationals then it might be better since you can switch from one satellite to another very quickly, since you do not have to wait for a motor to move.

It all depends on your circumstances and what you're trying to achieve.
Multiple dishes means you can get the best reception of multiple birds without delay from the motor and without concern for various interfering objects (i.e. you can position sats around objects that would otherwise interfere with reception from a single position). Also, with multiple dishes, you can use dual lnbf's and easily add multiple receivers and have no conflicts between which satellite you want to watch on each receiver at the same time.

1 dish/1 motor is easy, takes less space, works well for single unit setups (or multiples, if you're willing to allow one receiver to be the "master"), and generally is more accepted by those who co-habitate with you (and who generally won't want to deal with all of your "junk" in the back yard).

For me, it's a compromise of both. If i had infinite money/space/patience (from wife), I'd have T90's/multiple stationary dishes covering all of the KU birds and multiple BUD's (combining as many sats with multiple dual lnb's per dish) so that I had all birds visible at any time from any receiver in my house.

line of sight issues will sometimes kill a motor idea

Me I have both...a motorized and a couple fixed dishes so a couple receivers can see G10 while the motorized is on say AMC3

Same here, a fixed dish on G-10R (a favorite around here :) ) and a motorized for everything else. About to add a second motorized for even more flexibility :)

Line of site issues (our house/neighbours' houses/trees in the backyard/etc.) basically meant fixed dishes only here.

Advantages of fixed dishes include:
Rapid channel surfing without wait times for a motor to move into position.
Can add additional LNBs on the dish for more satellites (see signature below for "pushing the limit" examples) thereby reducing the number of dishes you may need.

Disadvantages include:
Depending on where you place your switches (mine are all inside) number of coax lines snaking their way from multiple dishes/lnbs into the house.

Of course, when I first started in FTA just over a year ago I originally thought I was only going to have one dish at G10R, but it sort of snowballed from there (actually more like avalanched). So it is wise to think ahead about what you might require for this "addiction".

If I didn't have line of sight issues, I would still have multiple fixed dishes for the main satellites/regular channels (such as G10R, G25, AMC3, etc), plus one with a motor, mainly for satellites that are more weighted towards news/sports feeds.

once the novelty wears off . . .

For about the same cost it seems you could have one satellite with a motor, or several stationary satellites. Which do you guys prefer? Are a couple stationary satellites more reliable?
If you find you lust for feeds to get sports games, then motorized might work out better.
If you find one or two satellites fulfill your family needs for TV, then fixed-dish might be the way to go.

But, that's a decision you can make later.
First, get a good receiver and a nice dish, aim it at one satellite, and get acquainted.
Watch one of the more popular birds for a week.
Get to know it at all hours of the day.
Make a list of what it's got that you really -would- watch.
This is also a chance to get to know your receiver and how to aim your dish.
Obviously, the roof would be a bad place to put a dish if you know in advance you'll be realigning it often. :cool:

ALSO
:
You might take a look at these threads:
What Receiver and LNB Would You Buy -
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/103422-what-receiver-lnb-would-you-buy.html
What Is Your Favorite FTA Channel -
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/80506-what-fta-channel-your-favorite.html

Watch one of the more popular birds for a week.
Get to know it at all hours of the day.
Make a list of what it's got that you really -would- watch.

One of us here actually WATCHES FTA? ;) It seems many of us do more dish tinkering than watching... I know this is true of myself, with the recent exception of LOTS of NASA-TV watching (and recording to hard drive of great space video) due to the STS-118 mission that just wrapped up.

I really do need to WATCH more TV :)

When it comes to choosing i must say go with a Wavefrontier T90 and as many LNBs you like.

Motor feels old and it is by today standards, i can't beleive i am saying this....;(

But after having the T90 dish now i will never go back to a motor dish again, the noise, the slow zapping, waiting for the dish to move and all that.

Now i have a zap list with 7000 channels approx and i just zap between them.

It's so easy and comfortable.

Ive got a T90 and im not that impressed with it, its 90cm but it sure doesnt perform like a 90cm dish, much smaller maybe 30" near the center of the arc and smaller on the edges. Thank god Ive got a 1m winegard on a motor as well.

the T90 is fine for strong signals, but boy do they gota be strong, and it'll get nocked out at the first sign of a thunder storm or snow. and you only get 40deg of arc, you can push it a little farther but the signal drops off FAST.

its a neet idea, but I beleive it should be 120cm then at least you could get decent signal throught the arc.

Yes the T90 will perform bad if you installed it with the brackets supporting the dish, they put pressure on the dish and of course the gain will dramatically be reduced.

I have fixed my T90 and it works great down to 44dBW in the footprints with some reserve above threshold.

would you be able to take some pics of your dish ? I know what you mean about pressure, that subdish and lnb if quite heavy !

awesome, that would be much apreciated !

Ive been considering switching my T90 for a bunch of 33" dishs, but damn its gona cost me a fortune ! Id much rather improve the signal on my T90

One of us here actually WATCHES FTA? ;) It seems many of us do more dish tinkering than watching... I know this is true of myself, with the recent exception of LOTS of NASA-TV watching (and recording to hard drive of great space video) due to the STS-118 mission that just wrapped up.

I really do need to WATCH more TV :)

Same here. Tinkering, scanning, and checking signal strengths (which would sometimes result in more tinkering)! Realised that a couple weeks ago, and began to make an effort to spend some time watching something other than news feeds!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)