Which Switches Needed for 14 Receivers?

I disagree with both of you. You can split a DP signal from a DP single or dual since it's bandstacked. But the signal will obviously get weaker. Might work with short cables or an amp on each line.

I disagree with both of you. You can split a DP signal from a DP single or dual since it's bandstacked. But the signal will obviously get weaker. Might work with short cables or an amp on each line.
You might think that if you weren't remembering that DP band stacking gives you the odd and even transponders of just one slot at a time.

Ok, so this is what ended up happening for now. I ended up using the already installed DirecTV splitters instead of using any of the DP34 switches and the only thing that went wrong was that the last receiver (the longest one away) had a "Odd" after I did check switch which made the signal weak but every other receiver worked just fine. The other ones have "Feed" under check switch and work just fine. Saved me some time with hooking up wires on the switches.

Now I want to use the DP34 switches but I have a problem with local channels. I am picking up local channels on 110 only but no paid programming because according to online channel guide there are only available in HD and I have old 311 receivers. . My paid channels are on 119 and international is on 61.5. So right now I have one dish pointed to 119 & another to 61.5 so my question is if I buy another dish and point it to 110 how do I hook it up and use it with the DP34 switches when there are no inputs left according to the diagrams? Because in the diagrams it says I need 2 inputs for the dish 500 (119) and 1 for dish 300 (61.5) so what can I do for 110?

So right now I have one dish pointed to 119 & another to 61.5 so my question is if I buy another dish and point it to 110 how do I hook it up and use it with the DP34 switches when there are no inputs left according to the diagrams?
Normally one uses a single Dish 500 with DishPro twin LNB assembly to receive both 119 and 110. So, along with 61.5, that's 3 inputs, one for each satellite location.

You can, however, go with 3 separate dishes and DishPro duals. In any case, you have but one output from each dish which goes into the DP34.

Normally one uses a single Dish 500 with DishPro twin LNB assembly to receive both 119 and 110. So, along with 61.5, that's 3 inputs, one for each satellite location.

today my quad would not pick up both 119 and 110 when I pointed it, only one or the other and they were very close to each other. I did check switch every time I moved it and I would not get all the channels on 110. Maybe it is different for HD receivers.

You can, however, go with 3 separate dishes and DishPro duals. In any case, you have but one output from each dish which goes into the DP34.

Ok but, will that work? and if so why did I buy the Dish quad when if only 1 output per dish will work with the dp34. couldn't I have just kept my twin to begin with? but why does diagram show 2 outputs to dp34?

Last edited:
Apologies for the confusion. Didn't you want to feed 14 receivers using two strings of DP34's cascaded together? You would do this with a single D300 or D500 on 61.5 (as you have now?) using a DP dual, and another D500 with a Y shaped yoke going to either a DP quad or two more DP duals. In either case, you would be looking at 6 outputs, 3 of which (one from each orbital location) goes to each of two strings of DP34s. The "3" in the DP34 refers to inputs, while the "4" refers to 4 outputs.

You *will* need to use DP34's in order to do anything more than one orbital slot. (i.e. 110,119, or 61.5). You can't just split the signal to each one and think that you will get all your channels. What you are seeing is the receivers looking at the DPQuad's internal switch one at a time and thinking "Oh, I can use this switch to change my orbital" when in reality, every other receiver on that splitter will be doing the same thing and confusing the hell out of the system. What the DP34 switch does is serve the same output of each orbital to each receiver. This is absolutely necessary in order for anything to work correctly.

What you need to do is take one 311 and hook it directly into any of the four outputs of the Quad and do your dish alignment with check switch et al. Same with the DP dual on the 61.5. Lock down the dishes and run a line from port 1,3 on the quad and port 1 on the dual and hook them up to the first DP34, then from port 2,4 on the quad and port 2 on the dual to the second DP34. From each of those DP 34's, you run three lines from each to the next according to the attached diagrams from earlier. Now run check switches from each 311 connected and you should find that they all should have full signal and full orbitals.

Think of it this way, each one of the ports on these LNB's can only show you one orbital at a time, if you had receiver 1 and receiver 2 split from the same output, and you had 1 looking at 119 and 2 looking at 110, neither or only one will work since the switch is being confused.

If you want to use splitters, you do it the same way that it was done in the Legacy system. From each port for each orbital, you split to two switches. You split before a switch and way before hitting a receiver. You just can't do it any other way.

Sounds like you just need to contact a Commercial installer...

Has anyone ever tried to set up two strings of switches by just splitting the line from the duals? By this I mean 3 duals with one line each, each line split to go to 2 banks of switches. I am aware of the alternatives, just wondering if this would work.

Yes.

Splitters will not work for DISH Network. They are used commonly in DIRECTV large scale setups.

No. Splitters will not work for satellite.

I'm afraid both of you are wrong. I've worked on the commercial side of this business. On both large L-Band systems and QAM/SMATV systems you do indeed use splitters. You can't split the output from the switch, but you CAN split the inputs from each dual. In fact, when dealing with a QAM system, no switches at all are used. Each line from the LNBF goes into an amp (Usually a PAL-10 or PAL-20) then to a bank of 8 way splitters. Each line is then fed into an individual TDT. The output of which is fed into a combiner. On large L-Band systems, you do the exact same setup, except instead of TDTs each output from the splitters is fed into an input on a bank of switches. I'd show you a picture of one of the systems I work on, but it would probably give away where I work. I'll try to find a more generic picture.

Last edited:
Taken out of context. We were referring to Dish, DP, and DPP systems.

However, his reply is correct in saying it can be split. Like both of us said, you can literally "split" a signal from the LNB output to two switches without an issue. You cannot "split" a signal from a switch to two receivers.

Yes, understood. But with Dish, that might involve cracking open cases and I doubt it is done often, especially by the average installer.

ok, just tried it. 2 dp duals on 500 dish, one line off of each, each line to a high freq new holland splitter, then one line from each splitter to a 33 switch so as to feed 119 and 110 into each. both 33 switches appear to be working fine, one dual tuner running off of each. My sat buddy also thinks everything is fine, SNR levels looke better coming out of the switches than they do out of the splitters, so i am thinking the switches clean up the SNR a bit?

ok, just tried it. 2 dp duals on 500 dish, one line off of each, each line to a high freq new holland splitter, then one line from each splitter to a 33 switch so as to feed 119 and 110 into each. both 33 switches appear to be working fine, one dual tuner running off of each. My sat buddy also thinks everything is fine, SNR levels looke better coming out of the switches than they do out of the splitters, so i am thinking the switches clean up the SNR a bit?

Yeah, that's a pretty basic setup. You should get good results from it. Be advised though, if you go more than a 2 way splitter, (3,4,5 or 8 way) you may need amplification before the splitter. Yes, it's also common for the SNR to look a bit cleaned up after the switch.

What in the hell are you talking about? You use singles or duals. You don't crack anything open.
I guess he's discussing a twin or quad, but you don't have to crack those open either to do as I (and others) suggested above. (I'm the guy who bought a DPP twin and cannibalized it for it's DPP32 switch, so I have some experience cracking things open. ;))

Tyralak said:
What in the hell are you talking about? You use singles or duals. You don't crack anything open.

I was thinking of newer LNBs. Forgot the older little guys are the appropriate ones for this. Mea Culpa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)