White Space Reduction Act Of 2014

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
I'd like to see the amount of blank space significantly reduced. Having a mini multi-line biography and a large avatar to the left of everyone's post seems like a considerable waste of real estate.

Reactions: TheKrell
Then again, too little white space makes reading material more difficult.

I've gotten to where I just skip posts where long paragraphs blot out the sun and you must use a ruler to follow each line across the page.

I post each sentence on its own line and avoid paragraphs.

Sorry its not going to change (the stuff on the left). Although I do hope I can get rid of some of the extra white at the bottom.

I'd like to see the amount of blank space significantly reduced. Having a mini multi-line biography and a large avatar to the left of everyone's post seems like a considerable waste of real estate.
You have it wrong. The problem isn't too much space devoted to the user on the left side, it's short, terse posts on the remainder of the page.

Expand upon your ideas and expose your thoughts, people! The more you share, the better your post looks and the less wasted space there is. Don't be like Korben Dallas in "The Fifth Element" when being interviewed by Ruby Rhod.

Now, if I did this right, my left-hand should equal my right-hand use of space. Oh, and there's always your sig!

Sorry its not going to change (the stuff on the left). Although I do hope I can get rid of some of the extra white at the bottom.
How can you? I have no objection to the way it's laid out now, but the stuff on the left is a fixed height. The white space is filler, made up by the difference between the text box and the left-side information. Unless someone composes what, 6-8 lines of text or more, it can't go away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You have it wrong. The problem isn't too much space devoted to the user on the left side, it's short, terse posts on the remainder of the page... Now, if I did this right, my left-hand should equal my right-hand use of space. Oh, and there's always your sig!

You cannot possibly do it right for all viewers using all browsers in all conditions. For example, am I using a browser in landscape or portrait mode? Or maybe I'm square.

I personally think that a bigger font (like the default on the old site) would help in this regard. And it would be easier for these old eyes to read.

I'm using my MacPro and MacBook Air with Safari in landscape. If I used a narrower window and not stretched all the way across, the line breaks would make for a longer post.

The only alternative I could think of would be to place the bio info to the right of the avatar (or to the left) and take away space from the response. For people with wide screens it would barely make a difference, but for people using a tablet in portrait or a smartphone browser it might result in a post made up of one-word lines.

Let's see if I typed enough...

Reactions: TheKrell
I personally think that a bigger font (like the default on the old site) would help in this regard. And it would be easier for these old eyes to read.
Please, no, don't make the font bigger. I think it's bigger than it was on the old site already.

Thomasjk, Are you viewing Satguys trough a web browser? If so, most have the ability to enlarge the font by pressing "CTRL +" You can make the type quite large that way

Large Print.jpg

Really? You can't choose which items are shown? Are Likes, Trphy Points, and Gender absolutely necessary? The whole Trophy Points thing is kinda goofy in general, and also takes room in the Alerts section, as well.

None of those are listed on the left (user details section). It seems like it's the same details as before.

Then again, too little white space makes reading material more difficult.
The body of the messages isn't any more "spaced out" than it ever was. The waste comes in the area between the end of the message and the next message. On smaller screened devices, that may be half a window.

The extreme example of what I'm talking about is Scott's posts where the body of the message ends above his surname leaving more unused space before the next message than the message itself consumed.

This isn't a huge issue for those browsing full screen on large displays but for everyone else, it cuts into the experience.

Personally, I think it would look better if the post background was white instead of light blue. It would make that space less noticeable.

Perhaps, but the space would still be there. I like the light blue background as it softens the overall starkness of the white background.

Reactions: Rey
I've seen what it looks like with a totally white background. It's not good. Way too hard on the eyes.
The issue is the avatar and information on the left used to be above each post in the old software. There is no more info on the left than there was on top of the posts on the vB software.
I have been viewing the XF version of this site for two weeks now using a 4" android, laptop, tablet. and desktop through multiple platforms and browsers. At least on my 4" android using FF and the included web browser, when I hold it in portrait mode, the avatar moves to the top and it truncates all the info. When I hold it in landscape mode, it looks the same as on my laptop/desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)