Who own da equipment ?

goober55

Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Owns !!...... Owns !!!

You hockey/Slapshot movie fans will understand the title and message.
Anyway, I signed up with Dish with a 2 year commitment, getting a VIP722 & a 322. My question is do I own the equipment after 2 years like a cellphone contract would be, or if I cancel after 2 years, will they take the equipment back ? Also if indeed I do not own, why would I need the Dish Home Protection Plan ? I see on my bill they charge me for it, but then give me a credit for the same amount, but it says credit 1 of 9. After the 9 months, why would I pay the monthly $5.99 for DHPP if they own the equipment ? Does not make sense. Also if I dont like the way the dish/switch/coax was installed, am I allowed to alter the setup ? I know the tech said that an inspector may come out after the install, so I didn't want to do something that I am not allowed to do. Sorry for all the questions : )

Thanks

no you do not own the equipment after the 2 years. You have to return it when you cancel

as for the setup, what is wrong with it? Sure you can alter it if you'd like but unless it was a really bad job (in that case why did you sign for it then) I dont see the point in changing it

from what I understand, if you dont have home protection then if something happens to your leases receiver, you would have to pay to get a new one... One of the great features of the Home Protection Plan is that you can cancel it, and when you need it, call and activate it :p

It's kind of like leasing a car... you don't own it, however your still responsible for maintenance of it - you wear out of the tires and need new ones, well you buy new ones for it and keep on truckin.

Also if I dont like the way the dish/switch/coax was installed, am I allowed to alter the setup ?

As an installer... if a customer alters the setup and breaks something (uses cheap connectors, hooks up a diplexer wrong, hooks up the power inserter on the wrong port, moves the dish to a nlos location, puts a splitter in, ect)... and dish sends me back out to fix it.... i'm charging a full service call fee, in my opinion, at that point DHPP does not apply.

Owns !!...... Owns !!!

Anyway, I signed up with Dish with a 2 year commitment, getting a VIP722 & a 322. My question is do I own the equipment after 2 years like a cellphone contract would be, or if I cancel after 2 years, will they take the equipment back ? Also if indeed I do not own, why would I need the Dish Home Protection Plan ? I see on my bill they charge me for it, but then give me a credit for the same amount, but it says credit 1 of 9. After the 9 months, why would I pay the monthly $5.99 for DHPP if they own the equipment ? Does not make sense. Also if I dont like the way the dish/switch/coax was installed, am I allowed to alter the setup ? I know the tech said that an inspector may come out after the install, so I didn't want to do something that I am not allowed to do. Sorry for all the questions : )

Thanks>>>>
OWNS!!! OWNS!!!
No ..Unles you purchase the EQ, it remains the property of Dish..
UNless you know what you are doing, please do not tamper with the install or equipment.
I cannot tell you how many times I go to service calls for signal loss issues . I get to the custs house and they tell me they have moved a receiver to another room. Or they decided to try to hook up a new tv and couyldn't figure it out. Or this is the best. The customer moved both dual tuner receivers because they wanted the dvr to go to another room besides the one wired fo tv 2...
If you want these things done, call dish and pay the $99 for the two hours labor to have a tech come and do the work..Please!!!
Oh yeah. The best way to insure the work gets dome to your satisfaction, be there when the install is performed. It's your home!!!!

Owns !!...... Owns !!!

Thanks
Jim Carr: Hi, Jim Carr again. Denis, I know that some in our audience don't know the finer points of hockey. Could you tell them, for example, what is icing?
Denis Lemieux: Well, um, icing happen when the puck come down, bang you know, before the other guys you know. Nobody there, you know. My arm go comes up then the game stop then start up.
Jim Carr: I see. What is high-sticking?
Denis Lemieux: High-sticking happen when the guy take the stick, you know, and he go like that
[high-sticks Jim Carr]
Denis Lemieux: you know. You don't do that.
Jim Carr: You don't do that?
Denis Lemieux: Oh no, never, never.
Jim Carr: Why not?
Denis Lemieux: Against the rules. You know, you're stupid when you do that. Just some English pig with no brains, you know.
Jim Carr: Uh, what is slashing?
Denis Lemieux: Slashing is um, like that
[demonstrates on Jim Carr]
Denis Lemieux: you know.
Jim Carr: Mm-hmm. And there's a penalty for that?
Denis Lemieux: Yeah and for the trip also, you know like that
[demonstrates]
Denis Lemieux: . And for hook like this
[demonstrates]
Denis Lemieux: . And for spear, you know, like that.
[demonstrates]
Denis Lemieux: You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

Ok if you DO NOT have dhpp but are under DHA.. and have DHA equipment.. if it goes bad they send you a new one but you have to PAY SHIPPING.. NO not the receiver.

DHPP covers discounted trouble calls, free shipping and remotes....

All this is convered in your contract.. why cant people read the dammed contract.. :/

Thats why we got miussinformation here and there.. people come here and ask and get the wrong answer.. and then the stupid dish reps dont know jack..

its all in writting.

good stuff dishcomm !!! im from Johntown, PA where the movie was made...rumor has it that a remake is in the works...a movie producer was in town a few weeks ago. The Chiefs are still here & in the playoff hunt of the ECHL...Long live Hockey in Jtown !!!!

From my understanding single tuners can be owned after the commitment is up, dual tuners cannot. DHPP covers the equipment from accidental damage or acts of GOD. but does not generally cover the service charge. if a lease receiver fails or dish lnb even without the DHPP it will be replaced without a charge for the equipment... If it fails for a customer caused accident(The cat pissed in my receiver) then the customer is responsible for the cost of the receiver. (the bull got loose and attacked my dish) the customer will be charged for the dish equipment. DHPP covers these type of damage.

From my understanding single tuners can be owned after the commitment is up, dual tuners cannot. DHPP covers the equipment from accidental damage or acts of GOD. but does not generally cover the service charge. if a lease receiver fails or dish lnb even without the DHPP it will be replaced without a charge for the equipment... If it fails for a customer caused accident(The cat pissed in my receiver) then the customer is responsible for the cost of the receiver. (the bull got loose and attacked my dish) the customer will be charged for the dish equipment. DHPP covers these type of damage.

Your understanding is wrong. Dish may let people keep really old outdated models because no one else would want them and Dish won't activate the unit for anyone else.

If you want these things done, call dish and pay the $99 for the two hours labor to have a tech come and do the work..Please!!!
Oh yeah. The best way to insure the work gets dome to your satisfaction, be there when the install is performed. It's your home!!!!

Are people really that helpless, where they need a tech service call to move their equipment around?:eek:

I installed all my hardware from C-band dishes to Starchoice and everything in between over the years. It's not that hard if you do some reading on sites like this for back up.

PS: on second thought, when I called dish to sign me up and that I was all ready to go and didn't need a dish install or a IRD lease, I was given a bit of a hard time by the csr. I guess her software did not have a customer self-installed code:p

I guess most people want that free install anyway. Dying breed us dish install DiY'ers:p

ok...
Cracking the code here..
here's the long and the short of it..
As a tech I have seen many instances where fees have been waived to customers for just about anything. Pet chews, voltage spikes, desire to relaocate dish or receivers, etc ad nauseum.
Dish CSR's will waive fees and labor charges for one reason...If the customer threatens to cancel. The most extreme case whas a customer who had a pet chew a line on the exterior of the house, second time. Her son also ran over their pole mounted dish with the lawn tractor. I caught this damnned thing. I had to remount the dish and run new cable to the receiver in question. The customer paid nothing. Not even the $29. She told me that she thought it wasn't fair she should have to pay because she pays for programming. We got Dish to create a work order reflecting codes that would pay us fopr a new connect because both my supervisor and the owner of our company stated it was unfair for us to do all that work for the price of a regular service call. Executive reolutions put the install codes on the w/o.
The bottom line is this. If a customer does just the right amount of bitching, they can get anything they want regarding service, free of charge. All they have to do is threaten to cancel.
Now to be fair I would imagine repeated attempts to get free service by threatening to cancel works only once, maybe twice.
BTW, the customer mentioned above was no warranty. No DHPP or DHA..

Are people really that helpless, where they need a tech service call to move their equipment around?:eek:

I installed all my hardware from C-band dishes to Starchoice and everything in between over the years. It's not that hard if you do some reading on sites like this for back up.

PS: on second thought, when I called dish to sign me up and that I was all ready to go and didn't need a dish install or a IRD lease, I was given a bit of a hard time by the csr. I guess her software did not have a customer self-installed code:p

I guess most people want that free install anyway. Dying breed us dish install DiY'ers:p
When a customer tries to move a receiver from one room to another, yes. They have no busienss doing that unless they know what they are doing. That means in this business or are VERY handy. Such as yourself.