Why All the Local HD Channels?

impeyr

Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I’m new around here; I have a question about all the local HD channels being added. My question is Why? Surely there is little to no locally produced HD material, except for news, weather, and, of course, sport. Having the SD channel is “good enough” for people to get their local news. Why does Dish believe adding every Tom, Dick and Harry local HD channel is more important than adding new national HD channel, like SciFi. Is it to go head to head with cable? I understand people need their local channels, but do they really need them in HD? I am sorry, but I see it as a waste of bandwidth, which with the latest problems with the launch of their new satellite, Dish does not have.
Maybe there are good reasons, I just don't see them

by local channels they mean the LOCAL carrier for a NATIONAL network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) all of which have lots of primetime HD content and sports also

Um, aren't like most NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX prime time shows way more popular than Sci-Fi? Plus, with OTA, people can set three network HD timers at once if they get their HD locals.

they shouldn't give the local PBS in HD, they should give the NATIONAL PBS HD.

I agree, but I think that legally Dish is not allowed to do this. When I first got DISH we had National PBS. When congress allowed the Sat broadcasters to carry the local channels they made it illegal for them to carry the national feed.

I, for one, would love to see a Super Bowl, World Series, or March Madness in HD (speaking from a sports perspective) in addition to prime time shows. That's another reason why HD LiL is important....

I agree, but I think that legally Dish is not allowed to do this. When I first got DISH we had National PBS. When congress allowed the Sat broadcasters to carry the local channels they made it illegal for them to carry the national feed.

PBS HD is an extra feed that the local markets have to pay for, right now there are sveral PBS stations that can't afford the feed so they poorly upscale the SD feed. PBS HD is a separate entity and can be setup like its a nationa cable channel.

A waste of bandwidth to broadcast the locals (major networks) in HD? I for one like to watch the Super Bowl in HD and my wife needs to see those desperate housewives in
HD as well.

Is it to go head to head with cable?

I understand people need their local channels, but do they really need them in HD?

Many people will not even consider a tv provider if they can't get their locals.

You aren't getting these without getting your locals: American Idol, Super Bowl, 24, House, Lost, Sunday Night Football. And most of these are even better in HD (Is American Idol in HD or Fox widescreen?)

PBS HD is an extra feed that the local markets have to pay for, right now there are sveral PBS stations that can't afford the feed so they poorly upscale the SD feed. PBS HD is a separate entity and can be setup like its a nationa cable channel.

I hope you are right but I remeber in the Charlie Chat; back when National PBs went off the grid; he said Dish could not carry it any longer. I paid an extra $5.00 per month for the National PBS feed. I miss it thou and wish that Dish can bring it back.

DBS rebroadcast of local networks provides suburban and rural residents the ability to watch the channels available in their DMA. This one feature brings in more NEW customers to Dish Network than adding any National HD channel. If only 8 million people watched LOST, the show would be doomed and cancelled at the end of the year. If ONE million people watch Stargate Atlantis, the show is renewed for another season and SciFi has a party.

Many people will not even consider a tv provider if they can't get their locals.

You aren't getting these without getting your locals: American Idol, Super Bowl, 24, House, Lost, Sunday Night Football. And most of these are even better in HD (Is American Idol in HD or Fox widescreen?)

American Idol is HD.

Locals also sell more satellite subscriptions too believe it or not.

People want ABC, NBC, FOX, etc for the television shows already mentioned; however, they look at the cost of cable and go "yikes!" and then look for a cheaper alternative. With Dish now having locals and in HD to boot, DISH is more likely to get the subscription.

At least that is the theory ... :)

Plus, for those of us with DVRs, the locals offer the opportunity to record two network shows at the same time, with one of them being OTA.

I am a little confused by some of the replies. Yes, of course, local channels carry national network programming. The point is the national programming is just that national, it’s all the same. So, why do you need to have 500 HD channels all showing Lost or Desperate Housewives? For that you only need a few HD channels to allow for the several time zones. Do people really care if they are looking at the feed from NY or LA? Do you want their local ads? They can switch to the local SD station at 6 or 11 for the news. I am missing something?

I I am missing something?[/COLOR]
Yes, you are...the whole concept of network television. Networks are distributed through local affiliates. Without the locals, you don't get the networks. Plus, local news will be more in HD as the months move along.

Plus the rules won't let dish or Directv do this.. It used to be that way back in the C-Band days but then the SBA got involved.. And now you can't offer national feeds of networks in individual DMA's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts