Why Connect Wifi To Tv Receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cover

Original poster
May 27, 2014
When our satellite was recently converted from Direct to Dish, the installer entered the wifi password into the television receiver box. What do we gain from having the two tied together? One reason I ask is because in the next couple of days, a new router is going to show up and I'm wondering if we should ask the guy to tie the two together again as they are now. Would have been nice had the Internet been left alone since we were with Century Link with Direct and will be again with Dish. TIA

it's optional. you don't ever have to connect a network connection.

I have mine disconnected since we haven't been using the app system and ondemand stuff lately.

Even without Sling, I have mine connected so I can view and manage timers and DVR events remotely (delete, skip, restore, etc.)

The technician gets graded on the percentage of hoppers that get connected. It begins to affect pay when that percentage drops below a certain level. If you have the hopper with sling, you can watch any live or recorded program on your phone or tablet from anywhere. Also having it connected will allow dish to make sure your system is working properly. The receiver basically sends its health status back to dish, and if there's a problem with something, they can attempt to fix it from their end, our send out a tech to check it out.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish is strict on grading their techs on connecting the hoppers to the customer's internet.
To Dish, the customer not having internet is not an acceptable excuse for the tech not connecting the hopper to the internet and counts it as not connected against the tech. Think about that. No joke.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

When our satellite was recently converted from Direct to Dish, the installer entered the wifi password into the television receiver box. What do we gain from having the two tied together? One reason I ask is because in the next couple of days, a new router is going to show up and I'm wondering if we should ask the guy to tie the two together again as they are now. Would have been nice had the Internet been left alone since we were with Century Link with Direct and will be again with Dish. TIA
You won't have to "tie" the new router to the Dish DVR. You merely configure the new router to use the same password as the previous router, which is recommended in any case. Otherwise, you will have to reconfigure all of your devices to match the new password, which is very inconvenient.

I have neither a land line nor an internet connection. Dish knew this when I subscribed. Evidently, my money is more important to them than their rules. :)

They don't care. Different metrics for different parts of the company. For a tech, you must connect every Hopper job or it counts against you. If the customer doesn't have broadband, see if they have a hotspot. If they dont' have a hotspot search for open networks.

The metric is something like 60-70% (depending on location) of Hopper jobs must be connected in order to not be considered doing "poorly" for this metric.

You won't have to "tie" the new router to the Dish DVR. You merely configure the new router to use the same password as the previous router, which is recommended in any case. Otherwise, you will have to reconfigure all of your devices to match the new password, which is very inconvenient.
Sorta depends on how many devices there are. 'course, ya could just leave the wifi open.... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)