Why Did I Know It Would Happen?

rdlink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Well, the installer showed up this morning (DISH employee). I told him that I had ordered, and been promised a VIP722 and a VIP622, and wanted to verify that he had that on his WO. He told me that his WO stated a 722 and a 222. So, we called DISH to see what was going on.

The CSR told me that I couldn't have two HD DVRs, unless I bought one of them. I told him that I was told the exact opposite when I placed my order, and I provided the Rep ID of the person who told me so.

He then backpedaled a little, and said that the order in fact said that I would get the 722 and the 222, then be upgraded to the 622 once the installation was complete. Not being born yesterday, I was quick to point out to him that I had no intention of agreeing to an 18 month commitment, with a "promise" of getting upgraded "after installation."

After 5 minutes of being put on hold waiting to talk to a supervisor, he came back and told us that he had gotten a supervisor, and was transferring us. He then put us on hold for another 5 minutes, then we were routed directly into someone's voicemail, whose message we couldn't even understand. I told the installer to hang up, and sent him on his way.

So, I've now written a memo to ceo@echostar.com, and we'll see what they say.

Interesting thing while we were waiting on hold: The installer, who works for DISH, told me that my Comcast HD picture was "the best I've ever seen." :eek:

Well, the installer showed up this morning (DISH employee). I told him that I had ordered, and been promised a VIP722 and a VIP622, and wanted to verify that he had that on his WO. He told me that his WO stated a 722 and a 222. So, we called DISH to see what was going on.

The CSR told me that I couldn't have two HD DVRs, unless I bought one of them. I told him that I was told the exact opposite when I placed my order, and I provided the Rep ID of the person who told me so.

He then backpedaled a little, and said that the order in fact said that I would get the 722 and the 222, then be upgraded to the 622 once the installation was complete. Not being born yesterday, I was quick to point out to him that I had no intention of agreeing to an 18 month commitment, with a "promise" of getting upgraded "after installation."

After 5 minutes of being put on hold waiting to talk to a supervisor, he came back and told us that he had gotten a supervisor, and was transferring us. He then put us on hold for another 5 minutes, then we were routed directly into someone's voicemail, whose message we couldn't even understand. I told the installer to hang up, and sent him on his way.

So, I've now written a memo to ceo@echostar.com, and we'll see what they say.

Interesting thing while we were waiting on hold: The installer, who works for DISH, told me that my Comcast HD picture was "the best I've ever seen." :eek:

Why exactly do you need two high-end DVRs?

Because some of us have more than one HDTV. I personally have five....hooked up to three 622s, a 942 and an 811.

Exactly. Why would I want half of the system I have now? And why should I have to pay DISH $600 to get the same technology I'm getting now for free from Comcast? Personally, I think it was a compromise on my part to only get two TVs on HD, and the other two on SD.

I guess "Better TV for All" only works if "All" includes people who only have one HDTV, or who only want to record shows on one of their TVs.

The math just doesn't make sense to me. Are they telling me that they can't recoup their money by renting me two DVRs, and collecting $100 a month from me for 18 months, then, getting their DVRs back if I cancel? If so, I guess their business model just needs some work.

Exactly. Why would I want half of the system I have now? And why should I have to pay DISH $600 to get the same technology I'm getting now for free from Comcast? Personally, I think it was a compromise on my part to only get two TVs on HD, and the other two on SD.

I guess "Better TV for All" only works if "All" includes people who only have one HDTV, or who only want to record shows on one of their TVs.

The math just doesn't make sense to me. Are they telling me that they can't recoup their money by renting me two DVRs, and collecting $100 a month from me for 18 months, then, getting their DVRs back if I cancel? If so, I guess their business model just needs some work.

All I'm saying is that it seems unreasonable to expect two high-capacity triple-tuner DVRs for free, when the deal is you get one. The fact that you claim to have negotiated an extra one for free is great if it's true, but that's not the deal they advertise.

As to what Dish's business model is, or whether it needs work, I suppose you'd have to work at Dish to know that, wouldn't you?

I'm not asking for anything for free. They charge a monthly "rental" on the units. And as far as the deal I "claim" to have negotiated, I didn't negotiate it, it was offered to me. And when the CSR tried to tell me it wasn't I called him on it, and gave him the Rep ID of the person who offered it. See my first post.

As far as knowing whether DISH's business model needs work, I don't have to work there to know. It's easy enough to make that call from comparing them to their competitors. Their competition is currently beating them on value for those with more than one HDTV who want to take full advantage of their HD equipment. And I can walk away from their competitor at any time, with no penalty.

I'm not asking for anything for free. They charge a monthly "rental" on the units. And as far as the deal I "claim" to have negotiated, I didn't negotiate it, it was offered to me. And when the CSR tried to tell me it wasn't I called him on it, and gave him the Rep ID of the person who offered it. See my first post.

As far as knowing whether DISH's business model needs work, I don't have to work there to know. It's easy enough to make that call from comparing them to their competitors. Their competition is currently beating them on value for those with more than one HDTV who want to take full advantage of their HD equipment. And I can walk away from their competitor at any time, with no penalty.

I'm just really curious why you're back, after your previous manifestos against Dish, against TV in general, about the pricing of packages, etc.. I really like the one from 2005 that begins:

"After nearly six years as a DISH subscriber, I’ve had enough. I’ve had enough promises that aren’t kept. I’ve had enough of CSRs that don’t know as much about my system as I do. I’ve had enough of “upgrades” to my system that cause it to work worse. I’ve had enough of rate increases that make your service more expensive than cable. I’ve had enough of being told that my unhappiness concerns your people, only to have them tell me that they can’t (read won’t) do anything about it. Comcast is going to take my dish and a receiver off of my hands, and I’ll sell the other one on eBay. Want to know the specifics? Try these:"

RDLink's Greatest Hits

Jeff

Well, to tell the truth, Jeff, I'm not back. The BS that DISH pulled on this has made me think, and even though the CEO's office has responded telling me that they'll honor the two DVR install, I think I'll decline.

I was hopeful that increased competition from DirecTV and cable, along with improved technology had made them a better choice again. But while all the providers seem to have their issues, bad customer service still seems to run rampant at DISH, apparently just as bad as I get at Comcast.

It appears that Comcast still seems to provide the best choice for those of us who have more than one HDTV and want to have DVRs on more than one TV. Given the 18 month commitment required, and the fact that the DISH installer himself told me that my Comcast picture was better than what I'd get on DISH, I think I'll just hold my cards for now, and see how things shake out.

And thank you for reminding me of the reasons why I decided to leave DISH in the first place. But, I have to admit that what appears to be an obsession here kind of creeps me out. Seems a little weird that you care enough about what I think to research me. I hope I don't have to start watching for strangers sitting in cars out on the street late at night....

IF you do see cars out side your street and hear clicks on your phone line, Relax. That is just the friendly home land security department at work.:p

Even though the CEO's office has responded telling me that they'll honor the two DVR install, I think I'll decline.

Uh-huh. Sure.

And thank you for reminding me of the reasons why I decided to leave DISH in the first place. But, I have to admit that what appears to be an obsession here kind of creeps me out. Seems a little weird that you care enough about what I think to research me. I hope I don't have to start watching for strangers sitting in cars out on the street late at night....

Sorry you're so easily "creeped out." Are you twelve years old? If so, I apologize. And if by "research," you mean clicking on your name and seeing what you've written in the past, well, guilty as charged!

Your whole post smacked of BS, so when I clicked on your name and discovered a long trend of BS, I found it quite amusing.

Good luck to ya... and keep on a typin'!

Jeff

Uh-huh. Sure.

Sorry you're so easily "creeped out." Are you twelve years old? If so, I apologize. And if by "research," you mean clicking on your name and seeing what you've written in the past, well, guilty as charged!

Your whole post smacked of BS, so when I clicked on your name and discovered a long trend of BS, I found it quite amusing.

Good luck to ya... and keep on a typin'!

Jeff

That was great, what a call out.:up

The rules for the new customer promotion is (1) FREE HD/DVR per account.

Why does everyone have to ask if they can bend the rules and get (2) for Free?

Its very simple, get the 722 installed along with a 625 receiver. Wait a few days and call the CEO's office and do a DISH N it up and add the other 722 for $149 or $199. You simply cannot get (2) Free 722's installed at the time of installation PERIOD!

I appreciate all the customers who sign up through DISHSTORE under our promotion, but I think the CEO's office is getting tired of getting these types of requests every day.

I might be wrong, but I don't even think Directv will give you the first HD/DVR for FREE, and if you want a 2nd HD/DVR with them you deffinitly have to pay some money out of pocket!

And why should I have to pay DISH $600 to get the same technology I'm getting now for free from Comcast?
If Comcast is offering the SA8300, no way are these two boxes "the same" or even close. I know because I just had both the Dish 622 and the SA8300 in my home for the last month or so. I stopped using the SA8300 after the first week. I returned it a couple of days ago with absolutely no regrets.

To put it briefly, the SA8300 is a nonstarter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)